• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joe Barton retracts apology to BP

texmaster

Hippie Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) is apologizing for his apology.

After infuriating Democrats and Republicans alike with his public apology to BP and suggesting that a $20 billion escrow fund was a “shakedown” by the White House, Barton is now “retracting” his statement, made at a hearing with BP CEO Tony Hayward.

“I apologize for using the term ‘shakedown’ with regard to yesterday’s actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning, and I retract my apology to BP,” Barton said. “As I told my colleagues yesterday and said again this morning, BP should bear the full financial responsibility for the accident on their lease in the Gulf of Mexico. BP should fully compensate those families and businesses that have been hurt by this accident.”

Joe Barton retracts apology to BP - Jonathan Allen and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

blurb_facepalm2_20090622.jpg

This guy isn't with us. This is why we make fun of Houston.

Seriously, this comment of a shakedown was incredibly stupid. Monumentally stupid. This company has over 700 safety violations setting a record and you're going to call getting money to people who need it from this company a shakedown?

After infuriating Democrats and Republicans alike with his public apology to BP and suggesting that a $20 billion escrow fund was a “shakedown” by the White House, Barton is now “retracting” his statement, made at a hearing with BP CEO Tony Hayward.

“I apologize for using the term ‘shakedown’ with regard to yesterday’s actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning, and I retract my apology to BP,” Barton said. “As I told my colleagues yesterday and said again this morning, BP should bear the full financial responsibility for the accident on their lease in the Gulf of Mexico. BP should fully compensate those families and businesses that have been hurt by this accident.”

Joe Barton retracts apology to BP - Jonathan Allen and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

Seriously, this comment of a shakedown was incredibly stupid. Monumentally stupid. This company has over 700 safety violations setting a record and you're going to call getting money to people who need it from this company a shakedown?

Actually, Joe Barton doesn't represent Houston. He represents North Central Texas, which happens to be closer to Dallas than Houston. He is YOURS!! :neener

Actually, Joe Barton doesn't represent Houston. He represents North Central Texas, which happens to be closer to Dallas than Houston. He is YOURS!! :neener

Thats a negative ghostrider

Ellis County includes the cities of Waxahachie, Ennis, Midlothian, Red Oak, Ferris, Italy, Palmer, Oak Leaf, Maypearl, Milford, Pecan Hill, and Bardwell.

Freestone County includes the city of Fairfield and Teague.

Houston County includes the cities of Grapeland, Lovelady and Crockett.

He's yours

Thats a negative ghostrider

Ellis County includes the cities of Waxahachie, Ennis, Midlothian, Red Oak, Ferris, Italy, Palmer, Oak Leaf, Maypearl, Milford, Pecan Hill, and Bardwell.

Freestone County includes the city of Fairfield and Teague.

Houston County includes the cities of Grapeland, Lovelady and Crockett.

He's yours

Sorry, but Crockett is north of Huntsville, which is nowhere near Harris County. Same with Grapeland and Lovelady.

:prof Houston city and Houston county are not the same thing. He's yours. LOL.

By the way, here's a thought - This thread seems to be saying he made an apology for an apology. Sorry, but that is totally sorry. LOL.

Yes. Shakedown. Carville crafted it using different words.
Government as intermediary isn't necessary to dole out the cash.

So, I'd agree, shakendown so authority over the cash is in Obama's mitts.

Wait, Texmaster said something I agree with.

Brain to Deuce: Warning, system overload. Emergency shutdown initiated. Alcohol injection protocols online.

Yes. Shakedown. Carville crafted it using different words.
Government as intermediary isn't necessary to dole out the cash.

So, I'd agree, shakendown so authority over the cash is in Obama's mitts.

Well it's a good thing what you said isn't actually happening because that sure sounds bad!

Last edited:

It is a shakedown. WTF are those sanctimonious asswipes doing but pandering to populist idiocy? THe government was negligent in not inspecting that rig properly. All this grandstanding does nothing. And as a lawyer I can tell you it is an extremely serious ethics violation for a government lawyer to threaten criminal sanctions while pushing for a civil settlement.

Politicians make me wanna puke. this dog and pony show accomplishes NOTHING

I thought we made fun of Houston because Texans live there:2razz:

I make fun of Michigan because the unemployed live there. :mrgreen:

I don't make fun of Texas or Michigan or anywhere else for that matter (even Mississippi!) because I live in the best place on Earth and I'm better than that.

My understanding is that Joe Barton's biggest contributor owns a quarter share in the Deep Water Horizon; Joe is just representin' his people, what's wrong with that?

I don't make fun of Texas or Michigan or anywhere else for that matter (even Mississippi!) because I live in the best place on Earth and I'm better than that.

I guess we will wait for the next quake to hit

Ahh, so in your "location" field you misspelled "Minnesota." That happens.

Actually, before he apologized for apologizing, he was with the law, which imo overrides being "with us". BP may very well have liability due to negligence and regulation violations, but it needs to be shown in a court of law and not by public opinion. Until that point, they are not liable for more than 75 million dollars. Barton had it right the first time. He wasn't personally ethical enough to stick to his guns.

Wait, Texmaster said something I agree with.

Brain to Deuce: Warning, system overload. Emergency shutdown initiated. Alcohol injection protocols online.

Well it's a good thing what you said isn't actually happening because that sure sounds bad!
Let's follow the money.
Every penny listed on the internet.

It is a shakedown. WTF are those sanctimonious asswipes doing but pandering to populist idiocy? THe government was negligent in not inspecting that rig properly. All this grandstanding does nothing. And as a lawyer I can tell you it is an extremely serious ethics violation for a government lawyer to threaten criminal sanctions while pushing for a civil settlement.

Hell, Team Obi gave it a safety award.
I wonder why nobody brought that up during that dog & pony show yesterday.

For example:

Mr. Hayward, the rig that is causing the harm in the Gulf was given a safety award by the Obama Administration.
When was that?
Mr. Hayward, did BP drastically change procedures, or change company procedures at all since the time of that award?
If so, how and why?
Were company procedures tightened or relaxed if changes were instituted?

Mr. Hayward, how many of the rigs under BP management were presented safety awards or awards for good stewardship or management by the Obama Administration?

Is this above or below the average for oil companies drilling in the Gulf?

Since when (in red above) has that bothered Team Obi.
It's great to be the legislator, prosecution, judge and jury. Just like in the USSR's co-equal branches of government.

Last edited:

make that case counselor
almost as misguided as barton's "shakedown" statement

My understanding is that Joe Barton's biggest contributor owns a quarter share in the Deep Water Horizon; Joe is just representin' his people, what's wrong with that?

I heard that George Soros owns interests in Brazilian oil companies that want drilling operations moved to Brazil, and that's why his little political organization is advising Obama to shutdown oil drilling in the US.

I heard that George Soros owns interests in Brazilian oil companies that want drilling operations moved to Brazil, and that's why his little political organization is advising Obama to shutdown oil drilling in the US.

please provide a cite to prove this purported 'cause and effect'

Actually, before he apologized for apologizing, he was with the law, which imo overrides being "with us". BP may very well have liability due to negligence and regulation violations, but it needs to be shown in a court of law and not by public opinion. Until that point, they are not liable for more than 75 million dollars. Barton had it right the first time. He wasn't personally ethical enough to stick to his guns.

This isn't just an ordinary negligence case. And, the money was put into trust to protect it in case BP goes bankrupt. The people affected by this will be needing the money right away, not 10 or 20 years from now after all the appeals have played out.

Let's face it, Barton is a classic Texas Oilman. He was sticking up for his oil buddies who make up a large part of his financial political base. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

I own a house in a country thats run by idiots..

Why the **** would Congress need to apologize to BP " We are so sorry that you guys failed, its really our fault that you did not inspect the rig, and that you did not have a plan for such an event. I mean we are infact not employed by BP and we are here to server the people ( people == the guy with the most money hehehehe) So yes it is our fault...And Obama who is using this as an example as to why he supports off shore drilling..."

FFS who the hell is the idiot that says that Obama is using this to his advantage? He support offshore drilling how the hell is this suppose to be something that supports his view?

This is the most Crystal clear case of how corrupt the government is, and how much they are all the cooperation's' bitches.

For **** sake if no one sees this, i might just have to kill myself.
And they question my nation's education *laugh* ( no offense..) ( its not directed at anyone, I am just trying to understand how so many people dont see the obvious :) )

Let's face it, Barton is a classic Texas Oilman. He was sticking up for his oil buddies who make up a large part of his financial political base. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

agreed.
just another brass tool for the oil industry's toolbox.

From your FoxNews article:
In fact, the Export-Import bank receives no appropriations from Congress and thus does not rely on American taxpayer dollars and is also not "sending" $2 billion to the Brazilian company but offering lines of credit to U.S. firms so they can compete to land contracts as part of Petrobras' drilling operations.

This quotes your WSJ article:
The Bank's bipartisan Board unanimously approved the preliminary commitment to Petrobras on April 14, 2009, before any Obama appointees joined the Bank. In fact, at the time the Bank's Board consisted of three Republicans and two Democrats, all of whom were appointed by George W. Bush.

snopes.com: Obama Lends $2 Billion to Brazilian Oil Company

Your article about Soros as a Petrobras stockholder was dated Feb. 2009
Also from the snopes link:
Soro's hedge-fund firm sold off 5 million of it's 37 million Petrobras shares in May 2009, and the firm sold off another 22 million shares in August 2009, before Petrobras received any loan funds from Ex-Im.

You might want to fact check your blogs a little closer...:lol:

From your FoxNews article:

This quotes your WSJ article:

Your article about Soros as a Petrobras stockholder was dated Feb. 2009
Also from the snopes link:

You might want to fact check your blogs a little closer...:lol:

Everyone knows that Snopes is questionable, and Factcheck is a left-wing lapdog.

Back
Top Bottom