• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joe Barton apologizes for apology?

somepeoplesay

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
So let me get this straight, Joe Barton apologizes to BP, then apologizes for making the apology, and is now sort of apologizing for apologizing for making the apology in the first place? I bet the GOP wishes this guy would STFU right about now.

From WaPo

'Joe Barton was right,' Joe Barton tweets
Hours after getting a respite from House Republicans, Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) has cheekily responded to criticism over his "apology to BP" by tweeting a link to an American Spectator article titled "Joe Barton was right."

Picture%204.png

The article by Peter Hannaford is a robust defense of what Barton said, knocking the Obama administration for "Alinsky" tactics and hatred of business.

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas broke an iron law of Washington last week. He described the elephant in the room that no one was supposed to see. In this case, it was the strong-arming Obama & Co. applied to BP to get it to "voluntarily" set up a $20 billion fund to compensate Gulf citizens adversely affected by the oil spill. Barton used the inelegant term, "shakedown." He was promptly made to eat humble pie by his party's Congressional leaders, fearful that if they didn't clamp down, the Democrats would use it to tie the entire party to an unpopular company.
UPDATE: Barton has removed the tweet.

UPDATE II: A statement from Barton spokesman Sean Brown:

I did it! Without thinking about it much, I added a headline from one of the daily news clips to a website that is, in turn, linked to the congressman’s Twitter account. Mr. Barton was not aware of the Tweet…

Haha, now his staffer is taking the blame? I think the overall message here is congressman shouldn't be allowed near computers.

Back
Top Bottom