• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jobless claims tumble to 166,000, lowest level since 1968

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
More excellent news that should make all Americans happy.

The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits last week tumbled to the lowest level in more than half a century, the latest evidence of an increasingly tight labor market.

Figures released Thursday by the Labor Department show that applications for the week ended April 2 dropped to 166,000 from the revised 171,000 a week earlier, easily beating the 200,000 forecast by Refinitiv analysts. It marked the lowest level for jobless claims since Nov. 30, 1968.

More here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/car...pc=U531&cvid=5a7c2759aed64661bd4d6e735062071c

The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits last week tumbled to the lowest level in more than half a century, the latest evidence of an increasingly tight labor market.

Figures released Thursday by the Labor Department show that applications for the week ended April 2 dropped to 166,000 from the revised 171,000 a week earlier, easily beating the 200,000 forecast by Refinitiv analysts. It marked the lowest level for jobless claims since Nov. 30, 1968.

More here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/car...pc=U531&cvid=5a7c2759aed64661bd4d6e735062071c
I'm not sure why so many people have decided to quit working and why so many positions remain unfilled but these gas prices could be part of the equation. Filling up for a regular commute cuts deeply into the bottom line of these low wage service industry positions.

I'm not sure why so many people have decided to quit working and why so many positions remain unfilled but these gas prices could be part of the equation. Filling up for a regular commute cuts deeply into the bottom line of these low wage service industry positions.

You don't know why? It's called Baby Boom. Those born at the end of it (like me) are turning 60 this year.

Gas prices have nothing to do with it.

You don't know why? It's called Baby Boom. Those born at the end of it (like me) are turning 60 this year.

Gas prices have nothing to do with it.
Most old people don't retire from low wage service industry jobs so that doesn't fly.

It's quite obvious the Rep/cons have been right all along. The rise in employment and drop in filing for unemployment benefits is all the fault of Biden.

Most old people don't retire from low wage service industry jobs so that doesn't fly.

Huh? What does that mean?

"Old people"? I'm 60. Most Baby Boomers are retiring or have retired. You can Google Baby Boomer since you don't know what one is.

rejoice in this good news. I know you can do it.

Most people don’t work in low wage service industry jobs. Job openings created by retiring ‘boomers’ allow others to fill those positions (or the positions of others who moved into them).

Most people don’t work in low wage service industry jobs. Job openings created by retiring ‘boomers’ allow others to fill those positions (or the positions of others who moved into them).
A young burger flipper isn't qualified to move into a retiring executives position.

Huh? What does that mean?

"Old people"? I'm 60. Most Baby Boomers are retiring or have retired. You can Google Baby Boomer since you don't know what one is.

rejoice in this good news. I know you can do it.
Do you have a point?

A young burger flipper isn't qualified to move into a retiring executives position.

True, but as those higher up move out (retire), those below them move up (get promoted). The ripple effect of that creates openings for lower (but above burger flipping) level jobs.

True, but as those higher up move out (retire), those below them move up (get promoted). The ripple effect of that creates openings for lower (but above burger flipping) level jobs.
So where are the entry level no skill applicants for the burger flipping jobs. Moms basement? Posting in here all day?

More here:

If Ol' Joe can get inflation tamed, he'll be presiding over the best economy of our lifetimes.

But let's not kid ourselves; inflation currently is the biggest sentiment component, and it a huge drag on him.

So where are the entry level no skill applicants for the burger flipping jobs. Moms basement? Posting in here all day?

There's basically none left!

Employment is "full". 3.6% 'unemployment' means 'full' employment. This is what happens. It's why unemployment claims are next to nothing; we're at full employment!

If you're so concerned for wanting those jobs filled, you'll need to lobby your Congress-Critter to open-up more immigration. That's the only way, at this point.

[FWIW - Right now my local Mickey-Dee's has a window sign offering $17-22 an hour to start, flexible hours, tuition re-imbursement, and a $500 hiring bonus paid after one month of service. Amazing!]

Do you have a point?

Yes. My point is you asked a stupid question that the rest of the world knew the answer to.

You can't say anything positive about this, can you? Positive comments about the economy under a Democratic President are verboten in the cult.

If Ol' Joe can get inflation tamed, he'll be presiding over the best economy of our lifetimes.

But let's not kid ourselves; inflation currently is the biggest sentiment component, and it a huge drag on him.

Yes, absolutely. But the smart people know why inflation exists all over the world, and the POTUS Is not responsible for worldwide inflation. Which is why the smart people don't blame Joe Biden for it.

Can illegals work now?

Yes. My point is you asked a stupid question that the rest of the world knew the answer to.

You can't say anything positive about this, can you? Positive comments about the economy under a Democratic President are verboten in the cult.
Biden did nothing but slow the natural comeback of the economy once businesses were allowed to reopen.

More here:

Queue conservative to come tell us how bad this is for Biden and America.

Back
Top Bottom