• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit[W:33]

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Former President Jimmy Carter condemned possible chemical weapons attacks in Syria, but called for a “peace conference” and working with the United Nations, rather than using a military solution.
Some people just don't learn.

I say we put Jimmy in a plane, fly him in circles for 15-hours, usher him to a room and let him talk to a wall, and then put it on youtube for the world to have a bunch of laughs. ... Live from NY... this is Saturday Night!

Obama's role for the UN.
zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67152875-role-un.jpg

Re: Jimmy Carter calls for Syria peace summit

Well, zim, my friend....I don't know if the cartoon helps you much, but Carter trying to run cover from his friends like Assad getting blown up, I can see that.

I hate to be on the side with Carter, but I just don't think we should bomb anything right at this point.

No, the attack from us will be "limited T-Hawk" stikes and will be more ceremony than anything else.

Well, zim, my friend....I don't know if the cartoon helps you much, but Carter trying to run cover from his friends like Assad getting blown up, I can see that.

I hate to be on the side with Carter, but I just don't think we should bomb anything right at this point.

I don't agree that its not the time to bomb something, but thanks for pointing out that Carter here has more in common with Zim's position than he realizes.

No, the attack from us will be "limited T-Hawk" stikes and will be more ceremony than anything else.
"Ceremony" because the ninny-poo has already broadcast what he's going to do, so by the time he musters whatever it is he musters to do other than play golf, whatever targets his missiles hit will have been long abandoned. Of course, true to form he'll take credit for "showing them who's boss" while the rest of the world scratches their head in wonder how one man that ignorant and incompetent could ever have been voted into the most powerful office in the worl.

This is not the time to be attacking anything, least of all Syria, and especially with this yahoo in the White House.

Jimmy Carter has the reputation of a principled, humanitarian, open minded, and charitable. He was the last honest man in the White House and perhaps one of the few honest men that have ever held the job. He suffered treasonous political sabotage by Republicans and Democrats alike. He tried to clean up the CIA. he had the trust of the World and was the last USA president that you could say that about. I think they should take his suggestion or else start bombing the rebels because all proof indicts the rebels for the use of chemical warfare agents. The USA has made no valid case against
Assad.

"Ceremony" because the ninny-poo has already broadcast what he's going to do, so by the time he musters whatever it is he musters to do other than play golf, whatever targets his missiles hit will have been long abandoned. Of course, true to form he'll take credit for "showing them who's boss" while the rest of the world scratches their head in wonder how one man that ignorant and incompetent could ever have been voted into the most powerful office in the worl.

This is not the time to be attacking anything, least of all Syria, and especially with this yahoo in the White House.

Mornin EW. :2wave: Yep.....plenty of time for Assad to move stuff around. 5 days worth.

What would it look like if Assad fires no shot in return? Sits back and lets Team Obama and France throw their strikes killing how many ever of his people? Even if he does fire back. I am sure Right after we are done bombing. He will get pics of innocent civilians that were killed in the Strikes.

Carter should have known the Rebels refused peace talks.

Really, it's not that bad to be on the side with Carter, on such matters he's always the calm head that wants diplomacy first. And despite Obama's campaign promises, the US has engaged in no diplomacy with Syria.

Jimmy Carter has the reputation of a principled, humanitarian, open minded, and charitable. He was the last honest man in the White House and perhaps one of the few honest men that have ever held the job. He suffered treasonous political sabotage by Republicans and Democrats alike. He tried to clean up the CIA. he had the trust of the World and was the last USA president that you could say that about. I think they should take his suggestion or else start bombing the rebels because all proof indicts the rebels for the use of chemical warfare agents. The USA has made no valid case against
Assad.

Dave, just a great post, I sooooo agree with you on Carter's character! I also wish there were more people that saw clearly to your second point as well. Thanks for the level head.

Really, it's not that bad to be on the side with Carter, on such matters he's always the calm head that wants diplomacy first. And despite Obama's campaign promises, the US has engaged in no diplomacy with Syria.

Mornin' Monte. :2wave: Well nor has the rebels and not even from the start. It was only one thing, Assad must go and the country must be given to the Sunni Muslims.

Assad.

Carter was a better carpenter than he was a President and many of the houses he built have mold issues. He insured the installation of an Islamic theocracy in Iran. His foreign policy was a shambles. He mismanaged the economy. His errors in the Middle East created our first gas shortage. At the end of his presidency the the nightly news broadcast the misery index which set a record for all presidents of over 20 in June of 1980. As an ex president, he can't keep his big yap shut, as is the tradition of all presidents when it comes to criticizing current administrations. In addition, suggesting the UN be involved in anything requiring military action is like believing Santa is real and windmills need chasing. The UN is run by despots and it's only useful function is the distribution of wheat. Now we have suggestions from the two worst presidents in our history. One wants to unilaterally bomb Syria and the other wants to turn the problem to the UN, which watched as hundreds of thousands were slaughtered in Rwanda. We have the blind leading the blind at this point in our history.

It appears Dave was speaking more to the mans character than his politics.

I don't agree that its not the time to bomb something, but thanks for pointing out that Carter here has more in common with Zim's position than he realizes.
Funny... Why? Because I haven't given a position other than to state that Obama's Red Line comment was dumb. He painted himself in a corner (which is something I've stated).

My point in the OP was a "Peace Conference" is just short of retarded.

I've been listening to the Generals and Lt. Col's give their opinions, and I have to agree with Lt. Col. Cowan that Obama's "lead from behind" position has resulted in nothing good. He had the chance to shape the rebel faction, and now it's full of terror types. Now, when Basher is overthrown, it could be those WMD end up in the hands of terrorists.

Obama's a mess. He's a Pretendident who is in miles over his head.

And when the dust settles, Obama has made no friends in the Middle East, his frozen deer in the headlights foreign policy has made matters worse... and this from a guy who said the world will look different at America when he is elected. Oh yeah! They hate us even more then ever! We strike no fear in our enemies, and our allies...

Carter was a better carpenter than he was a President and many of the houses he built have mold issues. He insured the installation of an Islamic theocracy in Iran. His foreign policy was a shambles. He mismanaged the economy. His errors in the Middle East created our first gas shortage. At the end of his presidency the the nightly news broadcast the misery index which set a record for all presidents of over 20 in June of 1980. As an ex president, he can't keep his big yap shut, as is the tradition of all presidents when it comes to criticizing current administrations. In addition, suggesting the UN be involved in anything requiring military action is like believing Santa is real and windmills need chasing. The UN is run by despots and it's only useful function is the distribution of wheat. Now we have suggestions from the two worst presidents in our history. One wants to unilaterally bomb Syria and the other wants to turn the problem to the UN, which watched as hundreds of thousands were slaughtered in Rwanda. We have the blind leading the blind at this point in our history.

The endearing qualities of Carter's character are the exact reasons that most conservatives/Republicans hate him. What good is a principled man to them in the White House. Crooks and scumbags like other crooks and scumbags. I agree about Obama being the blind leading the blind and he is a significant improvement over his predecessor, so something is askew in our system. When the best offered is a piece of crap, vote third party. Any third party.

The endearing qualities of Carter's character are the exact reasons that most conservatives/Republicans hate him. What good is a principled man to them in the White House. Crooks and scumbags like other crooks and scumbags. I agree about Obama being the blind leading the blind and he is a significant improvement over his predecessor, so something is askew in our system. When the best offered is a piece of crap, vote third party. Any third party.

What good is an incompetent principled man as president is a more relevant question. Carter annoys me but it's perfectly fine if you admire his principles. I don't think many people who lived through it would admire the job he did as president though.

Some people just don't learn.

I say we put Jimmy in a plane, fly him in circles for 15-hours, usher him to a room and let him talk to a wall, and then put it on youtube for the world to have a bunch of laughs. ... Live from NY... this is Saturday Night!

Obama's role for the UN.
zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67152875-role-un.jpg

So your not happy that Obama is talking war with Syria and your not happy that Carter is talking about peace instead of war with Syria. What exactly would please you? A republican saying it?

This is all off-topic talking point garbage. If you want to address Carter's policies like this in another thread like this... I welcome it.

So your not happy that Obama is talking war with Syria and your not happy that Carter is talking about peace instead of war with Syria. What exactly would please you? A republican saying it?

I've been commenting on Obama's lack of judgment. If you recall, he claimed superior skills in this dept.

Obama has adopted a lunacy called "Lead from Behind", which has not endeared us to anyone.

He, in all his wisdom laid down a Red Line which had been crossed before the latest WMD attack, and has now painted him in a corner. He's screwed himself either way. Now that takes talent won't you admit? Of course you won't.

In Syria, he failed to support and help shape the rebel faction. Now it's full of terrorist types. So, should Syria fall, those WMD could fall into the hands of terrorists.

Our enemies do not fear us, and our allies do not support us. It's pretty tough to do worse, and it is a similar scenario Bush inherited from Felonious Bill Clinton.

Whether it is Syria, Libya (& Benghazi) or Egypt, I do believe Obama is proving himself to be quite the strike out king (domestically/economically and with regards to foreign policy). He is a little boy in a mans world.

zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67152874-evolution-ever-shrinking-obama.jpg

Last edited:

He actually lost 49 out of 50 States when trying to gain a second term so it's not only Republicans who had enough of this guy.

I didn't realize antisemitism is an endearing quality.

Republicans disliked Carter because he was a boob. Gas lines, stagflation, and blaming it on the American people all the while wanting more government. Then he didn't have the class or sense to keep his mouth shut when other presidents were at the helm. He had his chance, was a failure of majestic proportions, and his latest insertion into the political realm is more of the same failure.

His only saving grace is Obama will be considered even more inept.

He demonstrated little character during his presidency or after.

Do I detect partisan ignorance or is it genetic. I don't know if it could be you or Carter. I'll reserve my conclusions.

I didn't realize antisemitism is an endearing quality.

Republicans disliked Carter because he was a boob. Gas lines, stagflation, and blaming it on the American people all the while wanting more government. Then he didn't have the class or sense to keep his mouth shut when other presidents were at the helm. He had his chance, was a failure of majestic proportions, and his latest insertion into the political realm is more of the same failure.

His only saving grace is Obama will be considered even more inept.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article36000.htm
"According to the source, Russia’s ambassador in the UN Security Council, Vitaly Churkin, presented conclusive evidence – based on documents and Russian satellite images – of two rockets carrying toxic chemicals, fired from Douma, controlled by the Syrian “rebels”, and landing on East Ghouta. Hundreds of “rebels”, as well as civilians – including those children on the cover of Western corporate media papers – were killed. The evidence, says the Russian source, is conclusive. – Pepe Escobar"

I think you have him mixed up with GW Bush, the first moron. That was a clear and majestic example of failure. You're right that he is inserting himself into this Syria matter and is the only voice seeking peace and diplomacy. Maybe he's not a member of the war party. Don't you think? Not necessarily rhetorical.

Last edited:

Do I detect partisan ignorance or is it genetic. I don't know if it could be you or Carter. I'll reserve my conclusions.

Do you think partisan is bad? It's not clear that you know what genetic means either.

What has changed between 1980 and 2012 is not the candidates but the electorate. In 1980 they had sense enough to throw the bum out but in 2012 they re-elected a Community Organizer who can't even point to a community he successfully organized!

Here's a comparison of the two candidates.

OBAMA: The choice you face won't just be between two candidates or two parties. It will be a choice between two different paths for America, a choice between two fundamentally different visions for the future.

CARTER 1980: This election is a stark choice between two men, two parties, two sharply different pictures of what America is and what the world is, but it's more than that. It's a choice between two futures.

Obama - You can choose the path where we control more of our own energy. After thirty years of inaction, we raised fuel standards so that by the middle of the next decade, cars and trucks will go twice as far on a gallon of gas. We've doubled our use of renewable energy, and thousands of Americans have jobs today building wind turbines and long-lasting batteries. In the last year alone, we cut oil imports by one million barrels a day - more than any administration in recent history. And today, the United States of America is less dependent on foreign oil than at any time in nearly two decades.

CARTER 1980: The battle to secure America's energy future has been fully and finally joined. Americans have cooperated with dramatic results. We've reversed decades of dangerous and growing dependence on foreign oil. We are now importing 20 percent less oil. That is one-and-a-half million barrels of oil every day less than the day I took office. This is what they propose: to destroy the windfall profits tax and to unleash the oil companies and let them solve the energy problem for us.

OBAMA: Times have changed, and so have I. I'm no longer just a candidate. I'm the president. I know what it means to send young Americans into battle. For I've held in my arms the mothers and fathers of those who didn't return. I've shared the pain of families who lost their homes and the frustration of workers who've lost their jobs. While I'm very proud of what we've achieved together, I'm far more mindful of my own failings, knowing exactly what Lincoln meant when he said, "I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go."

CARTER 1980: Let me talk for a moment about what that job is like and what I've learned from it. I've learned that only the most complex and difficult task comes before me in the Oval Office. No easy answers are found there, because no easy questions come there. I've learned that for a president, experience is the best guide to the right decisions. I'm wiser tonight than I was four years ago. And I have learned that the presidency is a place of compassion. My own heart is burdened for the troubled Americans, the poor and the jobless and the afflicted. They've become part of me.

And the beat goes on.....

Actually it was pretty obvious to me that, even though he was an incompetent president, he was a man of character.

Back
Top Bottom