• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jimmy Carter: ‘I have cancer’

Anomalism

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Best of luck to Jimmy Carter.

Jimmy Carter: ‘I have cancer’ | Political Insider blog

The following statement from former President Jimmy Carter, who will turn 91 in October, was just released by the Carter Center in Atlanta:

“Recent liver surgery revealed that I have cancer that now is in other parts of my body. I will be rearranging my schedule as necessary so I can undergo treatment by physicians at Emory Healthcare. A more complete public statement will be made when facts are known, possibly next week.”

best wishes for a full recovery.

Cancer in multiple areas at 91 doesn't bode well for Jimmy. :(

Cancer in multiple areas at 91 doesn't bode well for Jimmy. :(

Being 91 years old doesn't bode well for Jimmy. Nobody gets out of here alive.

Great. NOW all we can say about him is "I hope he beats the cancer and good thoughts."

Cancer is a horrible disease which I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I do wish him the best. His faith will be a comfort and source of strength.

Saw this on the PBS News Hour just now for the first time.

They reported that every one of Carter's siblings and both of his parents died of cancer.

Does not look good for the old former POTUS.

It will leave GHW Bush as the oldest living former POTUS. (Actually he already is the oldest -- by a few months.)

Both of them were single term-er's.

Carter proved to be too pacifistic for the job.

GHW proved to be too militaristic.

Interesting study in contrasts.

Both were former Navy though -- Carter on subs and GHW a fighter pilot.

Both therefore very elite naval officers.

I hope Jimmy well, but I think even he knows that his time is now up.

I voted for both of them.

Did not feel Ford should get it.

Liked GHW more than Reagan and even preferred him to Reagan instead.

Carter was appealing at the time because of the smear left on the office by Nixon.

But as it turned out, nothing went right during his 4 years in office.

Ok so this is where we debate politics right?

Last edited:
Joking? Or just P/C?

neither. doesn't matter if he's ninety one. i would still hope for a full recovery to his pre cancer health. same thing when GHW Bush got sick a while back.

neither. doesn't matter if he's ninety one. i would still hope for a full recovery to his pre cancer health. same thing when GHW Bush got sick a while back.

Shame you had to explain this. :(

I vaguely recall that GHW fell and hurt himself. As people get older falling down is a major risk factor.

Seems like the Bush Dynasty are a very healthy bunch.

yeah, looks like he's out of the hospital. cracked his C2 vertebrae.

Ex-president George HW Bush leaves hospital after neck injury - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

if you make it to be that old in reasonable health, you have some decent genes.

Both Carter and GHW went through a lot of mental stress during their terms in office.

In GHW's case it may have caused his Parkinson's-like trembling. But that could also just be his 90-ish old age.

In Carter's case the cancer runs in his family.

They are both really healthy for their ages and their situations.

In Carter's case it seems like bad genetics simply caught up with him finally after a long time.

Best of luck to Jimmy Carter.

Jimmy Carter: ‘I have cancer’ | Political Insider blog

The following statement from former President Jimmy Carter, who will turn 91 in October, was just released by the Carter Center in Atlanta:

“Recent liver surgery revealed that I have cancer that now is in other parts of my body. I will be rearranging my schedule as necessary so I can undergo treatment by physicians at Emory Healthcare. A more complete public statement will be made when facts are known, possibly next week.”

This is so sad to hear. President Carter is a great man with a heart of gold. I believe he was one of our best Presidents too. Hope he is resting comfortably.

This is so sad. You may not like his politics but you have to admit he's done a lot of good for the world since leaving office. I don't see any of the other former presidents physically pitching in and helping to build homes for the poor.

Not all acts of charity are public. ;)

Not a fan of his presidency, but the guy is a great humanitarian and I respect him for that. Beating cancer at this stage in his life is not likely but I wish him the best. Hate to see anyone have to go through this.

Back
Top Bottom