• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jimmy Buffett: Loyal fans more important than 'stupid law'

He's right... When he and other performers put on a show, it isn't to delight the members of a state's government, it's for the fans.

Cancelling a performance only punishes the fans and in my opinion is a pretty childish and insensitive thing to do.

Frankly...Springsteen didn't surprise me. He's a lot like Sean Penn...a self important douchebag that thinks people care about his politics as much as his music. Jimmy presides over a greater force...Parrothead nation.

I do not criticize for his decision as each person has to decide for themselves what is right. Bruce did what was right for him and his conscience. And so must Jimmy Buffett.

He's right... When he and other performers put on a show, it isn't to delight the members of a state's government, it's for the fans.

Cancelling a performance only punishes the fans and in my opinion is a pretty childish and insensitive thing to do.

Well so far, Bruce Springfield and Bryan Adams have cancelled. And, truth is, I usually change the radio station when either of them come on anyways.

But, make NO mistake. I AM a Parrothead to the bone. And I agree with Jimmy. Most always do.

Well so far, Bruce Springfield and Bryan Adams have cancelled. And, truth is, I usually change the radio station when either of them come on anyways.

But, make NO mistake. I AM a Parrothead to the bone. And I agree with Jimmy. Most always do.

I used to be a parrothead, but his new music really started sucking more and more, and I discovered other artists. Fun while it lasted.

What I find funny is that people keep saying they are voting with their wallet. No, they are being assholes. Making people pay for something they didn't do is a dick move. Backing out of your agreement because the lawmakers hurt your little feelings is a bull**** reason to cancel a show. You're either a man of your word or you're not, and obviously we have two artists that are not.

Last edited:

It punishes them for electing an apparently incompetent government who are willing to pass a stupid law and throw away jobs.

It punishes them for electing an apparently incompetent government who are willing to pass a stupid law and throw away jobs.

But really it doesn't punish them at all. Concerts are lame. Just as going to the movie theatre to watch movies. Fans can listen to Buffett's music all they want 24/7/365 without having to listen to whatever nonsense the artist believes that has **** all to do with music.

Kinda' hard to go against Jimmy Buffet!

Wow... So you actually approve of punishing the fans.

To each his own I guess.

His choice, entirely.

What I find funny is that people keep saying they are voting with their wallet. No, they are being assholes. Making people pay for something they didn't do is a dick move. Backing out of your agreement because the lawmakers hurt your little feelings is a bull**** reason to cancel a show. You're either a man of your word or you're not, and obviously we have two artists that are not.

LOL, repealing all state laws against discrimination at work and all local laws against discrimination against LGBT does matter to real people. It's more than 'hurt feelings,' but if that's all you see at stake - hurt feelings - then no doubt ANY reaction to the law other than a shrug of the shoulders would be too much.

LOL, repealing all state laws against discrimination at work and all local laws against discrimination against LGBT does matter to real people. It's more than 'hurt feelings,' but if that's all you see at stake - hurt feelings - then no doubt ANY reaction to the law other than a shrug of the shoulders would be too much.

Oh please, no one has the right to someones else's labor, property and association. If they want to fight that fight then they can bring it and expose themselves as supporters of involuntary servitude.

Someone that sues some else for not making them a cake is a dickhead and that deserves to be told to shove it up their ass.

Last edited:
Jimmy Buffett? He's still around? Talk about a suck musician. I'm not even that big of a Springsteen fan but Springsteen is artistically relevant. A Jimmy Buffett concert is nothing but a pee break until he starts playing Margaritaville.

Oh please, no one has the right to someones else's labor, property and association. If they want to fight that fight then they can bring it and expose themselves as supporters of involuntary servitude.

Someone that sues some else for not making them a cake is a dickhead and that deserves to be told to shove it up their ass.

OK, well that's clear enough! Thanks! You agree and also don't give a **** about discrimination. As I said, any reaction is too much in your view.

BTW, who the hell is talking about a cake?

OK, well that's clear enough! Thanks! You agree and also don't give a **** about discrimination. As I said, any reaction is too much in your view.

BTW, who the hell is talking about a cake?

It takes the bakers labor and property to make a cake and they have a right to decide who they provide it too. If they find the job objectionable they have the right to decline and the people that wanted the cake done has the right to leave and find someone willing to do it. No one has the right to force someone to make them a cake, and no one should be permitted to sue anyone else for not making them a cake. People just need to get over themselves and stop being such entitled brats.

It takes the bakers labor and property to make a cake and they have a right to decide who they provide it to. If they find the job objectionable they have the right to decline and the people that wanted the cake done has the right to leave and find someone willing to do it.

Well, interesting conversation you're having with yourself about cake baking. No one else has brought it up, but keep going if you want. :roll:

Well, interesting conversation you're having with yourself about cake baking. No one else has brought it up, but keep going if you want. :roll:

What else would you like to talk about? How about we talk about the right of employers to decide who they hire and for what reason they fire someone. Are you up to that conversation?

I would just like to point something out however.

If you're taking more time to criticize certain peoples reaction to the law, rather than the law itself... Then you may be part of the problem as much as they are.

I know this is apples and oranges but, in principle, that is the familiar justification the Islamic terrorists use when flying planes in to buildings and killing innocent civilians in countless other ways. Because we elect the political machine that they feel is oppressing them, we are, by extension, guilty in their eyes and deserving of punishment.

That's a crazy way to go. Or not. Free speech. Gotta love it.

Im surprised people go to Jimmy Buffet concerts- he was a one hit wonder back in like the 70's and makes way more money on his restaurants.

Frankly...Springsteen didn't surprise me. He's a lot like Sean Penn...a self important douchebag that thinks people care about his politics as much as his music. Jimmy presides over a greater force...Parrothead nation.

Put the parrotheads together and you get a pile of rocks.

What else would you like to talk about? How about we talk about the right of employers to decide who they hire and for what reason they fire someone. Are you up to that conversation?

I don't see the point. You're OK with businesses discriminating against anyone for any reason at all, and I'm not. If someone wants to rent to whites only, no blacks/Jews allowed, fine by you. Same thing with serving them food or allowing them in the front rows of a theater or even admittance into a theater or hotel or whatever. We're not going to change each others' minds. My only point really was that is a more important subject than someone's hurt feelings.

I know this is apples and oranges but, in principle, that is the familiar justification the Islamic terrorists use when flying planes in to buildings and killing innocent civilians in countless other ways. Because we elect the political machine that they feel is oppressing them, we are, by extension, guilty in their eyes and deserving of punishment.

That's a crazy way to go. Or not. Free speech. Gotta love it.

I suppose, but if you want to take it there, any war the U.S. has ever fought is no different - we don't engage in war on the people of any country but the leaders, and lots of innocents will get killed in the bargain who might or might not support the government that we're at war with.

I don't have any problem with people choosing not to do business in NC over this law or anything else, and that's all these performers are doing. JB will play this show but says future shows depend on repeal of the law. NC no doubt spends many $millions every year trying to attract businesses to the state, and if they want to pass laws that undermine those other efforts and effectively run many $millions in negative ads nationwide through all the bad publicity they're getting, that's their prerogative and it's the prerogative of everyone else to decide where to do business among the 50 options in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom