• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

JetBlue, American Airlines, and Southwest pilots are suing the CDC over the federal mask mandate, saying it ignores scientific studies showing it is '

Vern

back from Vegas
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

JetBlue, American Airlines, and Southwest pilots are suing the CDC over the federal mask mandate, saying it ignores scientific studies showing it is 'ineffective'​

My first thought is those russian sanctions are really cutting down the number of "conservative" threads if I'm starting this thread. Anyhoo, I found the headline a tad misleading. Its only 10 pilots. And like all conservative narratives, the pilots have to ignore actual facts and "misparaphrase" things. Case in point. From the filing that is linked in the article

The CDC official responsible for the FTMM admitted masks are worthless and are just for show: “[W]e mask because it's the way we take care and express our concern for each other,” said Marty Cetron, director of CDC’s Division of Global Migration & Quarantine.

Yea, I'm not reading that as someone admitting "masks are worthless and are just for show".

The truth is that pilots are essentially flying taxi drivers.

Their skill at flying airplanes does not give them any special insight or knowledge beyond that which any Highschool kid would think he knows about science or politics...

(I worked in the airline industry for 6 years and met a lot of pilots)

JetBlue, American Airlines, and Southwest pilots are suing the CDC over the federal mask mandate, saying it ignores scientific studies showing it is 'ineffective'​

My first thought is those russian sanctions are really cutting down the number of "conservative" threads if I'm starting this thread. Anyhoo, I found the headline a tad misleading. Its only 10 pilots. And like all conservative narratives, the pilots have to ignore actual facts and "misparaphrase" things. Case in point. From the filing that is linked in the article

The CDC official responsible for the FTMM admitted masks are worthless and are just for show: “[W]e mask because it's the way we take care and express our concern for each other,” said Marty Cetron, director of CDC’s Division of Global Migration & Quarantine.

Yea, I'm not reading that as someone admitting "masks are worthless and are just for show".

Can find where they have actually filed...

Interesting relief they are seeking...

A. Declare Defendants CDC and HHS’ Feb. 1, 2021, Federal Transportation Mask Mandate order “Requirement for Persons to Wear Masks While on Conveyances & at Transportation Hubs” (86 Fed. Reg. 8,025 (Feb. 3, 2021)) contrary to statute and unconstitutional, vacate the order, and permanently enjoin its enforcement worldwide

I wonder how they think a US court can enjoin enforcement worldwide...

I do find this interesting ... They have apparently have not even hired an attorney... They should, this is pretty idiotic...

E. Award us attorney’s fees (if we later hire an attorney to represent us in this lawsuit) incurred during the prosecution of this lawsuit from any defendant found to have acted outside its legal and/or constitutional authority pursuant to 28 USC § 2412 and/or any other applicable statute or authority; or, if we continue representing ourselves, award us in lieu of attorney’s fees reimbursement at the rate of $200 per hour for the time we have spent litigating this matter.

Pilots get it. We always have.

Pilots get it. We always have.

They apparently don't "get it" enough to know that US courts can't ban worldwide enforcement or are smart enough to hire an actual lawyer...

Anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone else at any time.

Pilots are not physicians. But, airline crews have been dealing with people who feel they shouldn’t have to wear masks, so they know the difficulties of enforcement. It will be interesting to see what the courts decide on the pilots’ anecdotal findings.

Their skill at flying airplanes does not give them any special insight or knowledge beyond that which any Highschool kid would think he knows about science or politics...

Not everyone is qualified to sit up front. Others meet lessor qualifications commensurate with offloading baggage and emptying the laboratory

Pilots are not physicians. But, airline crews have been dealing with people who feel they shouldn’t have to wear masks, so they know the difficulties of enforcement. It will be interesting to see what the courts decide on the pilots’ anecdotal findings.

They need to actually file first... My guess is this is just a "fundraising" grift...

This is the same reason Walmart, Targets etc gave up trying to enforce mask mandates

Sure, but this should be more of a pushback against their employers where a demand of increased security is an immediate solution.

Not everyone is qualified to sit up front. Others meet lessor qualifications commensurate with offloading baggage and emptying the laboratory

And these yahoos aren't qualified to practice law, hence, their laughable complaint...

Antimask and antivaccine/mandate people like to twist words to match what they want them to be saying.

Sure, but this should be more of a pushback against their employers where a demand of increased security is an immediate solution.
I agree. Just because a rule is difficult to enforce, doesn’t mean we should give up on the rule. The pilots’ lawsuit is kind of a mixed bag of issues and anecdotal evidence, and is directed at the CDC even though it is not the CDC’s job to enforce. The lawsuit seems more like a stunt than anything else.

i knew a pilot that would get hammered on Saturdays while he was on call (or whatever they call it).

Do they know they're planning to lift the mask mandate for airplanes in April? A lot of hoopla for not much sauce. Maybe it's just another political move. . . 2022 elections are coming up. Time to enrage the Repubs.

i knew a pilot that would get hammered on Saturdays while he was on call (or whatever they call it).
Me too, one of my best friends was a pilot. Oh the stories. lol
Luckily the planes pretty much fly themselves.

LOL, the job really is not that hard. I could teach a monkey to land a plane, and my seven year old niece to run the FMS. It's all the bullshit you do before and after the engines run that sucks!

Can find where they have actually filed...

Interesting relief they are seeking...

A. Declare Defendants CDC and HHS’ Feb. 1, 2021, Federal Transportation Mask Mandate order “Requirement for Persons to Wear Masks While on Conveyances & at Transportation Hubs” (86 Fed. Reg. 8,025 (Feb. 3, 2021)) contrary to statute and unconstitutional, vacate the order, and permanently enjoin its enforcement worldwide

I wonder how they think a US court can enjoin enforcement worldwide...

I do find this interesting ... They have apparently have not even hired an attorney... They should, this is pretty idiotic...

E. Award us attorney’s fees (if we later hire an attorney to represent us in this lawsuit) incurred during the prosecution of this lawsuit from any defendant found to have acted outside its legal and/or constitutional authority pursuant to 28 USC § 2412 and/or any other applicable statute or authority; or, if we continue representing ourselves, award us in lieu of attorney’s fees reimbursement at the rate of $200 per hour for the time we have spent litigating this matter.
Holy crap, they did this themselves. No wonder it sounds like another conservative thread. check out this whine.

As stated in our sworn declarations, wearing a mask before the flight (for example, while in an airport terminal) makes us feel like we are not fully prepared to perform our assigned duties, including due to fatigue.

wah wah wah

All the CDC has to do is show the Yale study on masks. It was done last year and was the largest study done on masks.

The result was that yes, masks do work to decrease the spread of the virus.

Apparently you don't.

The largest study on masks and the virus shows that yes, masks work.

They work based on what? IMO a typical 5% reduction doesn't warrant widespread mandates of mask use.

They work based on what? IMO a typical 5% reduction doesn't warrant widespread mandates of mask use.

Please read the article and stop posting things that aren't true or are only partially true.

Back
Top Bottom