• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jesus

kal-el said:
Yes, but there's not a shred of evidence for his existance, let alone his "divine" attributes.

Yes, he was quite a good magician, he would give David Copperfield a run for his money.:lol:

If you think about it, King Herod killed every male 2 and under, because he was afraid of the "king of the Jews". I ask how come nothing, other than a book full of legends and delphic stories is attributted to this man? There's not a modicum of evidence outside of the bible for his existance, of course, that doesn't mean he didn't exist, but he never had sermons with 100s of people in attendance, or else there would be abundant records of him.

you're looking at jesus as a physical person who absolutely existed in history.

I look at him as a person who, existed, or not, I don't really care about that, but his teachings, and his supposed life, are interesting, and there can be much to learn from this idea, or person, depending on what you believe or look at it.

I highly suggest you look at jesus as an idea, and not as a physical person that didn't exist..

128shot said:
you're looking at jesus as a physical person who absolutely existed in history.

I look at him as a person who, existed, or not, I don't really care about that, but his teachings, and his supposed life, are interesting, and there can be much to learn from this idea, or person, depending on what you believe or look at it.

I highly suggest you look at jesus as an idea, and not as a physical person that didn't exist..

Why not look at God, Adam and Eve, Noah, Cain, Abel, King Soloman, Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jonah, Peter, Joshua, Moses, Job, etc, etc, etc, as ideas and not real people?

kal-el said:
Why not look at God, Adam and Eve, Noah, Cain, Abel, King Soloman, Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jonah, Peter, Joshua, Moses, Job, etc, etc, etc, as ideas and not real people?

There is no reason not to. I was just speaking specifically about jesus, because this thread is about jesus...

I'm not christian, I'm agnostic.

128shot said:
There is no reason not to. I was just speaking specifically about jesus, because this thread is about jesus...

I'm not christian, I'm agnostic.

Well, I usually take everything literally unless otherwise told. The bible seems to go to great trouble asserting that it's the word of god.

kal-el said:
Well, I usually take everything literally unless otherwise told. The bible seems to go to great trouble asserting that it's the word of god.

So, I'm telling you, think of the bible as an idea, and not a literal message.

128shot said:
So, I'm telling you, think of the bible as an idea, and not a literal message.

That would be nice, but when I was a Christian, if I said that, I would be laughed out of church. The bible is the basis of the Christian faith. If any Christian says to take the bible as an idea, who's to say this "god" fellow isn't an idea then? That's the problem, it's all or nothing, you can't have it both ways.

kal-el said:
That would be nice, but when I was a Christian, if I said that, I would be laughed out of church. The bible is the basis of the Christian faith. If any Christian says to take the bible as an idea, who's to say this "god" fellow isn't an idea then? That's the problem, it's all or nothing, you can't have it both ways.

you've already chose nothing. So whats the problem here?

I for one don't think the bible and its storys are holy or divine messages.

128shot said:
you've already chose nothing. So whats the problem here?

I haven't chose nothing. I take the entire bible 100% literally. The bible through historical narratives, ancient wisdom writings, prophesies, moral parables, and letters, makes no mention of them not to be taken seriously. There is no warning lablel in the front of the book that states: This is a book of fiction. None of the stories actually happened. Believe the stories you choose, but believe at your own discretion.

I for one don't think the bible and its storys are holy or divine messages.

Maybe not, but have you read the bible?

Even if you don't think the Bible is true, you have to see it as divine in one way or another.

1. It was written by 40 authors from all vocations over a period of about 2500 years and is in complete agreement.

2. It has been the target of sucrutiny, outlawed, burned, and ridiculed, yet it is still the best seller today.

3. It's followers have been outlawed, burned, ridiculed, and dispersed, yet they still thrive.

4. It has changed the lives of people throughout history far more drasticly than any other event, ruler, or war.

1. It was written by 40 authors from all vocations over a period of about 2500 years
That means nothing except no one knew anything when it was written, science was undiscovered.
is in complete agreement.
No its not, it is very contradictory. "God" commands that no one shall kill another. "God" kills or demands countless others killed. That is contradictory. Not to mention many others.
2. It has been the target of sucrutiny, outlawed, burned, and ridiculed, yet it is still the best seller today.
That doesn't mean its true or divine. It just means that the Bible is a victim of religous persecution by other religions. And is the holy book of the largest religion.
3. It's followers have been outlawed, burned, ridiculed, and dispersed, yet they still thrive.
We were talking about a book, not its followers. Just because something thrives, even though it is persecuted in a few select areas, doesn't mean anything.
4. It has changed the lives of people throughout history far more drasticly than any other event, ruler, or war.
Got proof to back that one up?

Comrade Brian said:
That means nothing except no one knew anything when it was written, science was undiscovered.

Don't be stupid. For one thing, people were actually quite advanced and much more intelligent than us. The pryamids are built in such a way that they are perfectly level up to a margin of one quarter of an inch. Could you build a house that level? I think not.

[/QUOTE]
No its not, it is very contradictory. "God" commands that no one shall kill another. "God" kills or demands countless others killed. That is contradictory. Not to mention many others.[/QUOTE]

God gave people, so He is the one person who has the right to take it away.

[/QUOTE]
That doesn't mean its true or divine. It just means that the Bible is a victim of religous persecution by other religions. And is the holy book of the largest religion.

We were talking about a book, not its followers. Just because something thrives, even though it is persecuted in a few select areas, doesn't mean anything.[/QUOTE]

When a rock endures the countless pounding of the waves for thousands of years, but is not reduced to a pile of sand, that says something about what it's made of.

[/QUOTE]
Got proof to back that one up? [/QUOTE]

America exists today because of Christians who left behind their homes to find a place where they could practice what they believe without persecution.

Back
Top Bottom