• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jesus was married...[W:379]

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Jesus and Mary Magdelene were married. She mourns his death at the foot of the tomb and enters his tomb at dawn to anoint his body. She also discovers the empty tomb and is the first person to discover his missing body. She is not mentioned as a sister, mother, daughter as women commonly are in the Bible... she is at the wedding in Cana with Jesus and the name of the married couple is never mentioned yet Mary is the one that tells Jesus that they are out of wine and not the bride or groom. She was his wife and that would mean that they probably had children as well.

Re: Jesus was married...

The Sangreal (Holy Grail) is really the Sang Real. (Holy blood!) Jesus descendants.

Jesus and Mary Magdelene were married. She mourns his death at the foot of the tomb and enters his tomb at dawn to anoint his body. She also discovers the empty tomb and is the first person to discover his missing body. She is not mentioned as a sister, mother, daughter as women commonly are in the Bible... she is at the wedding in Cana with Jesus and the name of the married couple is never mentioned yet Mary is the one that tells Jesus that they are out of wine and not the bride or groom. She was his wife and that would mean that they probably had children as well.

Could I interest you in purchasing some real estate?

gnostic writing from the book of mary that have been shot down and never actually proven.
That was Mary his mother at the wedding not Mary Magdalene.

no they didn't have children because they weren't married.

What is the gospel of Mary (Magdalene)?

What would be the point of being cryptic about it? Why not just come out and talk about it?

What would be the point of being cryptic about it? Why not just come out and talk about it?

around the 1st and 2nd century AD there were a ton of writings going on. these were called gnostic writings.
they were made to sound legit but they had a lot of made up stuff.

many of the authors could not be verified down to they simply made up stuff that didn't happen.

this is one of the reasons for the councils. it was to sort out who was writing what.
many many of these writings were dismissed and destroyed for that reason.

a few survived.

The book of Mary
the gospel of judas
and a few others are these types of books.

they are in no way considered cannon or even a part of the bible.

For me, it doesn't matter either way. Maybe He was married, maybe He wasn't. Or maybe He had an entirely different kind of relationship with Mary Magdalene that's above such labels.

Doesn't change anything about His message and his role as Manifestation of God.

For me, it doesn't matter either way. Maybe He was married, maybe He wasn't. Or maybe He had an entirely different kind of relationship with Mary Magdalene that's above such labels.

Doesn't change anything about His message and his role as Manifestation of God.

actually it would. it would also be a violation of the Hebrew law.
he would not have been able to fulfill that if he had been married or had
kids.

actually it would. it would also be a violation of the Hebrew law.
he would not have been able to fulfill that if he had been married or had
kids.

IMO: Jesus was not bound by Hebrew law. He was a Manifestation of God, so His word was the new law, regardless of what used to be the law before. I don't think being married or having kids would have kept Him from fulfilling this role.

Jesus said, according to the scripture, that He came to "fulfil" the old law. Yet He obviously wasn't bound by it, neither were His followers. Otherwise, you'd still avoid eating pork, stone adulterers, circumcize your sons, respect shabbath like the Jews, and so on ... in effect, He brought a new law.

I know, that's not Christian theology. ;)

IMO: Jesus was not bound by Hebrew law. He was a Manifestation of God, so His word was the new law, regardless of what used to be the law before. I don't think being married or having kids would have kept Him from fulfilling this role.

Jesus said, according to the scripture, that He came to "fulfil" the old law. Yet He obviously wasn't bound by it, neither were His followers. Otherwise, you'd still avoid eating pork, stone adulterers, circumcize your sons, respect shabbath like the Jews, and so on ... in effect, He brought a new law.

I know, that's not Christian theology. ;)

actually it would have because he would have had a duty to his wife and children. him going to the cross would have been a violation of that duty.
people wonder why his ministry didn't start till he was about 30. that is because in jewish law the oldest son was required to work in the family
business until he was 30.

he was crucified at the age of 33.

also if Christ had been married then it would have been mentioned by one of the gospels.

actually it would have because he would have had a duty to his wife and children. him going to the cross would have been a violation of that duty.
people wonder why his ministry didn't start till he was about 30. that is because in jewish law the oldest son was required to work in the family

also if Christ had been married then it would have been mentioned by one of the gospels.

Good points.

Though I don't consider the gospels to be 100% accurate, necessarily; they were written at least 40 years after the events IIRC, from the memory of eyewitnesses, at best -- I'm pretty sure nobody attempted to deliberately fake or falsify them, but I guess details could easily get lost this way, or remembered incorrectly. Even though they're probably accurate to the most part, and at the core.

But I don't want to argue Jesus was married. IMO, it just doesn't really matter.

Personally, I pictured His relationship with Mary as intimate, but not sexual or a formal marriage. They both had more important things to do at that time. But that's just my subjective take on it. ;)

Because of the subjugation of women was a major priority for the church as was deifying Jesus as the son of god instead of as just a man.

Because of the subjugation of women was a major priority for the church as was deifying Jesus as the son of god instead of as just a man.

And if Jesus WAS married, then.............. ??

gnostic writing from the book of mary that have been shot down and never actually proven.
That was Mary his mother at the wedding not Mary Magdalene.

no they didn't have children because they weren't married.

What is the gospel of Mary (Magdalene)?

According to the Gospel of Phillip:

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary. (Isenberg's translation)

And if Jesus WAS married, then.............. ??

Nothing... just the truth would be told. He was a special guy but just a normal human being.

According to the Gospel of Phillip:

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary. (Isenberg's translation)

1. The Gospel of Phillip was written more than 100 years after Jesus walked the earth.
2. "Companion" doesn't mean "wife".
3. The Gospel of Phillip also talks about marriage using the words "bride" and "bridegroom". If Jesus and Mary M. were indeed married, why not just use the word "bride" instead of "companion"?

Nothing... just the truth would be told. He was a special guy but just a normal human being.

Why would Him being married make him not special anymore?

Could I interest you in purchasing some real estate?

I'll side with what makes more sense... Jesus was a normal human being that was married and conveyed great peaceful messages and not that he was born from a virgin mother and was the child of an evidence void god thing.

I just said: "He was a special guy but just a normal human being." in the post you quoted me from.

I just said: "He was a special guy but just a normal human being." in the post you quoted me from.

Ah, sorry. Read that wrong.

I'm not getting where you're going with this marriage thing. Do you think if He was married that proves He wasn't the Son of God? Wasn't sinless?

You make it sound like he made the decision to be crucified and nothing but his own to decision to get crucified lead to his crucifixion...

If you believe Jesus is God, then it's kind of strange that God would take a human woman for a wife, wouldn't it?

1. The Gospel of Phillip was written more than 100 years after Jesus walked the earth.
2. "Companion" doesn't mean "wife".
3. The Gospel of Phillip also talks about marriage using the words "bride" and "bridegroom". If Jesus and Mary M. were indeed married, why not just use the word "bride" instead of "companion"?

That is just that guys translation. There are others. There is also mention of Jesus kissing Mary "on her" but what follows was destroyed and lost. There are also undoubtedly lost Gospels and aspects about Jesus's life were debated and altered/omitted in later councils. Even Peter says to Mary that we know that he (Jesus) loves you more than the rest of the women.

Ah, sorry. Read that wrong.

I'm not getting where you're going with this marriage thing. Do you think if He was married that proves He wasn't the Son of God? Wasn't sinless?

I 100% don't think that he is the son of god but that is independent of him being married. Him being the son of god makes zero logical sense. Him being married makes lots of sense.

If you believe Jesus is God, then it's kind of strange that God would take a human woman for a wife, wouldn't it?

He was God in the flesh - He was a man so, no, I wouldn't find it strange at all for a man to marry a woman. If He was married, that wouldn't change His identity whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom