• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jesus was married...[W:379]

Re: Jesus was married...

I 100% don't think that he is the son of god but that is independent of him being married. Him being the son of god makes zero logical sense. Him being married makes lots of sense.

Okay.... but you seem to think the leaders of the day wanted to hide the fact that He was married (not that I think He was). You haven't really explained the reason WHY they would want to hide it.

That is just that guys translation. There are others. There is also mention of Jesus kissing Mary "on her" but what follows was destroyed and lost. There are also undoubtedly lost Gospels and aspects about Jesus's life were debated and altered/omitted in later councils. Even Peter says to Mary that we know that he (Jesus) loves you more than the rest of the women.

Kissing is and was a normal greeting in the Middle East. There's no doubt that Jesus and MM had a special relationship. That doesn't automatically mean they were married.

Okay.... but you seem to think the leaders of the day wanted to hide the fact that He was married (not that I think He was). You haven't really explained the reason WHY they would want to hide it.

I don't think that they want to hide it I just don't think they wanted to talk about it. Nothing about the Gospels is "debate"... it is unchallenged monologue. There is suggestion that Peter and others felt challenged by the closeness that Mary and Jesus had, she was just a woman after all. We have no idea what really happened back then... we have the accounts of a few people who wrote what they wrote decades after Jesus died. Who knows why people do what they do. There is no suggestion that what Mark, Luke, etc, wrote is divinely inspired. They are just men. Men are flawed.

Kissing is and was a normal greeting in the Middle East. There's no doubt that Jesus and MM had a special relationship. That doesn't automatically mean they were married.

Never said it did... I am taking what limited evidence there is and applying common sense... that's all.

...also, it doesn't talk about him kissing any other women. ;)

I don't think that they want to hide it I just don't think they wanted to talk about it. Nothing about the Gospels is "debate"... it is unchallenged monologue. There is suggestion that Peter and others felt challenged by the closeness that Mary and Jesus had, she was just a woman after all. We have no idea what really happened back then... we have the accounts of a few people who wrote what they wrote decades after Jesus died. Who knows why people do what they do. There is no suggestion that what Mark, Luke, etc, wrote is divinely inspired. They are just men. Men are flawed.

Like the Gospel of Phillip that was written almost 100 years after the Gospels? :)

So why do you think they didn't want to talk about it? What's so wrong with being married?

There are so many books that were previously removed from the Bible already, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if removed most of the references to Jesus' relationship with Mary (if they indeed had one) in order to not address it.

Like the Gospel of Phillip that was written almost 100 years after the Gospels? :)

Exactly... to take any of this as 100% accurate is ridiculous. To take him as married makes perfect sense. We see it billions of times. To take him as being an actual God? Makes literally zero sense. Never happened before or since. What God would do if he actually wanted beleivers was in this day and age with science and tecnology, film, he would do some sweet ass miracles... then, even guys like me would be running to church. ;)

There are so many books that were previously removed from the Bible already, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if removed most of the references to Jesus' relationship with Mary (if they indeed had one) in order to not address it.

What would be the point of that?

Exactly... to take any of this as 100% accurate is ridiculous. To take him as married makes perfect sense. We see it billions of times. To take him as being an actual God? Makes literally zero sense. Never happened before or since. What God would do if he actually wanted beleivers was in this day and age with science and tecnology, film, he would do some sweet ass miracles... then, even guys like me would be running to church. ;)

Of course it hasn't happened before or since -- He's the only one. :)

So why do you think they didn't want to talk about it? What's so wrong with being married?
I think they possibly removed it because there wasn't really much of a point to Jesus having a wife in the first place?

I think they possibly removed it because there wasn't really much of a point to Jesus having a wife in the first place?

So you think it was just a boring storyline?

actually it would have because he would have had a duty to his wife and children. him going to the cross would have been a violation of that duty.
people wonder why his ministry didn't start till he was about 30. that is because in jewish law the oldest son was required to work in the family
business until he was 30.

he was crucified at the age of 33.

also if Christ had been married then it would have been mentioned by one of the gospels.

Where are you getting that? There is no injunction I'm aware of that would prevent an individual from beginning their 'ministry' before the age of 30, nor is there any biblical requirement to work in the 'family business' till age 30. There are certain mystical qualities associated with the age of 30 and there are some references among the sages that it is desirous that for certain positions an individual be at least 30, but nothing like you describe.

Now the age a Levite officially entered the priesthood was 30, but that isn't the same as what you're discussing. There is no injunction against teaching Torah for those Levites under the age of 30. But since Jesus is alleged to have been of the line of David (hence that of Judah) he certainly couldn't be a Levite and thus this wouldn't even apply.

Perhaps you are confused.

Never said it did... I am taking what limited evidence there is and applying common sense... that's all.

...also, it doesn't talk about him kissing any other women. ;)

Yes, the only account (that I know of) of him kissing another woman was written 130 years after He walked the earth. Why wouldn't it have been in any accounts written by actual disciples of Christ who would've witnessed it?

For me, it doesn't matter either way. Maybe He was married, maybe He wasn't. Or maybe He had an entirely different kind of relationship with Mary Magdalene that's above such labels.

Doesn't change anything about His message and his role as Manifestation of God.

Agreed, it doesn't matter really. How are Jesus' lessons in any way changed by his marital status? Someone answer that question.

I'll side with what makes more sense

Of course, of course.

And I can assure you, investing in my real estate makes as much sense as what you're proposing.

According to the Gospel of Phillip:

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary. (Isenberg's translation)

which is another gnostic writing.

What is the gospel of Philip?

companion also means follower not married.

You make it sound like he made the decision to be crucified and nothing but his own to decision to get crucified lead to his crucifixion...

He even said why He came.

Matthew 20:17-20
17 And as Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve disciples aside, and on the way he said to them, 18 “See, we are going up to Jerusalem. And the Son of Man will be delivered over to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death 19 and deliver him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified, and he will be raised on the third day.”

then Matthew 20:26-28
26 It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,[c] 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,[d] 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

There is at least 3 or 4 times during his time that he foretold of his death.
He made the decision to follow the Fathers plan.

That is just that guys translation. There are others. There is also mention of Jesus kissing Mary "on her" but what follows was destroyed and lost. There are also undoubtedly lost Gospels and aspects about Jesus's life were debated and altered/omitted in later councils. Even Peter says to Mary that we know that he (Jesus) loves you more than the rest of the women.

in the greek love has 3 different meanings and none of them are applied as eros. agape would be the better version.

If you believe Jesus is God, then it's kind of strange that God would take a human woman for a wife, wouldn't it?

Why would taking a human wife be strange to a god who raped his human mother?

Where are you getting that? There is no injunction I'm aware of that would prevent an individual from beginning their 'ministry' before the age of 30, nor is there any biblical requirement to work in the 'family business' till age 30. There are certain mystical qualities associated with the age of 30 and there are some references among the sages that it is desirous that for certain positions an individual be at least 30, but nothing like you describe.

Now the age a Levite officially entered the priesthood was 30, but that isn't the same as what you're discussing. There is no injunction against teaching Torah for those Levites under the age of 30. But since Jesus is alleged to have been of the line of David (hence that of Judah) he certainly couldn't be a Levite and thus this wouldn't even apply.

Perhaps you are confused.

There is some speculation but it is based off of jewish tradition.

1. Joseph died at some point in time after Christ turned 12. we know that he was trained in carpentry (or handi-work) as the people of his hometown
acknowledge this. If Joseph died then it fell onto the oldest son to take care of the family. He would be responsible for them until one of his brothers
was old enough or he turned 30 to do something else.

2. From what I understand it was jewish tradition that a man be 30 years old before he could become a rabbi or take that title.

Only if you horribly distort scripture to say something that it doesn't.

the account in Luke.

"Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end."

And Mary said to the angel, "How will this be, since I am a virgin?"

And the angel answered her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God. And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. For nothing will be impossible with God." And Mary said, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.

will come is future tense meaning it hasn't happened yet.
next highlighted part is the consent.

Last edited:

Moderator's Warning:
Notice my previous warning? It applies to you, too. Knock off the attacks on religion or don't post in this sub-forum.

Could I interest you in purchasing some real estate?

So good "bottom" land all it needs is a little fixen up, like draining the swamp, getting ride of the alligators and snakes? Sounds like a fantastic buy, :lamo

Back
Top Bottom