• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jesus Saves.

LaMidRighter

Klattu Verata Nicto
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
An old man is sitting on his front porch one day having an iced tea when he notices a thief breaking into his neighbors house.
old man - I wouldn't do that if I were you, Jesus is watching.
Thief - I don't believe in all that, why don't you go to hell.

So the thief proceeds to load the first bag into his truck, he then goes into the house to get a second helping.
old man - it's not to late to stop young man, remember, Jesus is watching
Thief - I'm getting sick of this old man! Why don't you mind your own business.

The next thing you know, the thief hears a loud growling noise behind him and when he turns around he sees an angry, 110 pound rottweiler looking at him like he is lunch, the thief yells out, "What the hell is that!", the old man states with a very smug smile on his face, "that's my neighbors guard dog, Jesus".

Cute...

Is it just me or does the Star Wars Episodes (forgot what to call a series made-up of 6 movies) hint Christianity?

Seems to be a combination of eastern philosophy and western religion, could be.

LaMidRighter said:
An old man is sitting on his front porch one day having an iced tea when he notices a thief breaking into his neighbors house.
old man - I wouldn't do that if I were you, Jesus is watching.
Thief - I don't believe in all that, why don't you go to hell.

So the thief proceeds to load the first bag into his truck, he then goes into the house to get a second helping.
old man - it's not to late to stop young man, remember, Jesus is watching
Thief - I'm getting sick of this old man! Why don't you mind your own business.

The next thing you know, the thief hears a loud growling noise behind him and when he turns around he sees an angry, 110 pound rottweiler looking at him like he is lunch, the thief yells out, "What the hell is that!", the old man states with a very smug smile on his face, "that's my neighbors guard dog, Jesus".

Hahaha cute! LOL :2razz:

LaMidRighter said:
Seems to be a combination of eastern philosophy and western religion, could be.
Exactly, Lucas consulted Joseph Campbell, author and world-leading mythologist, when beginning the story. Here's a good article about it, but if you get a chance, pick up the book "Hero of a Thousand Faces" which talks about Campbell's "monomyth" and how the world's religions and myths all tie into one big ball... or wait for your local PBS station to have a pledge drive and play the series "The Power of Myth" which is an interview by Bill Moyers with Campbell at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch.

Campbell defined the Hero Cycle, a course of events that occurs as a rite of initiation in every myth, pinpointing the need for mentors, villains, elixirs and jesters along the way. Each step can be traced in the adventures of Star Wars hero Luke Skywalker.

In classic mythology, the hero reluctantly leaves the homeland (in Luke's case, the planet Tatooine) on a quest that takes him over a supernatural threshold into a strange land. A helper/co-hero such as space jockey Han Solo lends a steady hand through a series of ordeals. Comic relief is provided by tricksters such as the Greek muse Thalia or C3PO and R2-D2.

Ultimately, the hero must stand on his own, face the darkness and conquer it before returning to reality, stronger and wiser.

For Luke, the darkness was the evil side of the Force, a cosmic spiritualism that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda taught him to harness for good purposes, another element of the Hero Cycle. Luke and Han, by association with the Force, both evolve from self-centered people into crusaders with a grand purpose.

A series of obstacles must block the hero's path to an enchanted land where final victory -- the elixir of a golden fleece or galactic peace -- awaits. Threshold guardians constantly interfere with the hero, whether it's the terror of Medusa, Mordred, or the Empire's stormtroopers and a conniving Jabba the Hutt.....

Back
Top Bottom