• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jesus Christ’s Resurrection Is Probably The Best-Documented Historical Event Ever

People believe that "God" exists because they are told that "God" exists - even though they have no concrete, verifiable, reliable evidence to back up that belief.

People believe that "God" does not exist because they are told that "God" does not exist - even though they have no concrete, verifiable, reliable evidence to back up that belief.

The two statements are not equivalent no matter how many times that you repeat this particular mantra of yours.

Neither of those two has any bearing on the actual existence of "God".

No evidence, no God.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of an absence and science
Well, that's wrong. It's a popular saying, but it is garbage.

Yes, a complete lack of evidence can be evidence of absence.

Like, Bigfoot. Like, unicorns. Like, the idea that an ancient, advanced civilization existed on earth.

Yes, absence of evidence can be very compelling. When you step outside the bubble of magical myths and bumper stickers, these little sayings often lose their value.

Only certain types of written documentation are considered evidence of real events, and the documents alone are not sufficient evidence.. Fictional stories are not documentation or evidence of real events.
Indeed, and anything that you define as "NOT evidence" isn't evidence either.

However, you should possibly consider stopping struggling to convince the world that I have been saying something that I have specifically not said (and which you know I have specifically not said).

I have NOT said that there is any concrete, verifiable, reliable evidence to support either the postulate "There IS a God." or the postulate "There IS NOT a God."

In fact I have repeatedly says that there IS NOT any concrete, verifiable, reliable evidence to support either the postulate "There IS a God." or the postulate "There IS NOT a God." and so NEITHER postulate can be considered to have been PROVEN.

People's beliefs are not merely based on what they have been told to believe or not believe.
Some times they are, and sometimes they aren't.

There are some people who actually believe that Donald John Trump is an honest, ethical, kind, caring, and compassionate human being.

In fact I have repeatedly says that there IS NOT any concrete, verifiable, reliable evidence to support either the postulate "There IS a God." or the postulate "There IS NOT a God." and so NEITHER postulate can be considered to have been PROVEN.

Yes, you have said this very same garbage over and over dozens of times over the past couple of weeks. It’s still garbage every time you say it. True discussion involves more that just repetition.

This is because gods are not observable in any way, unlike physical reality, such as a rutabaga.
So what?

Once again, since I have never claimed that gods existed, why should I prove a claim that I did not make?
Do you believe in rutabagas?
I do NOT. I believe in the "One True Brassica Napus" - Turnips {BBTN}. Those deluded people who are followers of Rutabagas are followers of a false vegetable and are doomed to spend all of eternity in gastrointestinal torment.

Yes, people have always been superstitious and willing to believe myths ever since the inception of Homo sapiens socialization. Thank you for pointing that out.
People have a natural tendency to find explanations for things that they don't understand.

You'd be surprised at how many different explanations there have been for something as (to us) simply as "How does a woman get pregnant?".

Well, that's wrong. It's a popular saying, but it is garbage.

Yes, a complete lack of evidence can be evidence of absence.

Like, Bigfoot. Like, unicorns. Like, the idea that an ancient, advanced civilization existed on earth.

Yes, absence of evidence can be very compelling. When you step outside the bubble of magical myths and bumper stickers, these little sayings often lose their value.
Absence of evidence can be a very good way of deciding how to bet.

It is NOT, however, and absolutely invariable guide to ensure that you will win the bet.

For example, based on the evidence, no rational person would have bet that Donerail would win the Kentucky Derby. However, someone who had "faith" in Donerail would have made a tidy sum if they had bet $1,000 that Donerail would win.

Yes, you have said this very same garbage over and over dozens of times over the past couple of weeks. It’s still garbage every time you say it. True discussion involves more that just repetition.
I'm so sorry that I am unable to play the "I get to define all of the terms so that I win the discussion" game with you.

PS - Have you actually read your own posts?

*bad evidence

If you are going to grant "evidence" status to this nonsense, you should qualify it.
I guess that you sort of skipped over the "concrete, verifiable, reliable" qualification that I have used quite consistently.

Or that there is equal evidence for Pele.
"Pele" is the "God of Volcanoes".

There is a whole lot of evidence that volcanoes exist.

Possibly there is MORE evidence that "Pele" exists than that "Jehovah" exists.

"Pele" is the "God of Volcanoes".

There is a whole lot of evidence that volcanoes exist.

Possibly there is MORE evidence that "Pele" exists than that "Jehovah" exists.
The existence of volcanoes is not evidence of Pele's existence. Any more than the universe is evidence of christianity. We know where volcanoes come from. We know where religions come from. We're working on the last one. But the correct answer is not going to be the deities of pre-scientific knowledge.

Absence of evidence can be a very good way of deciding how to bet.

It is NOT, however, and absolutely invariable guide to ensure that you will win the bet.

For example, based on the evidence, no rational person would have bet that Donerail would win the Kentucky Derby. However, someone who had "faith" in Donerail would have made a tidy sum if they had bet $1,000 that Donerail would win.
I will bet you any amount that Bigfoot does not exist. With a time limit, naturally.

The existence of volcanoes is not evidence of Pele's existence.
That is a positive "assertion of fact" - do you really want to go down that road?
Any more than the universe is evidence of christianity.
See above.
We know where volcanoes come from.
Indeed, some force creates them. Now what motivates that force?
We know where religions come from.
Indeed, some force creates them. Now what motivates that force?
We're working on the last one. But the correct answer is not going to be the deities of pre-scientific knowledge.
More correctly

"Based on what we know today, the correct answer does not appear to be going to be the deities of pre-scientific knowledge,
BUT
we still don't know everything and so that might change (but don't bet the mortgage money on it)."​

I will bet you any amount that Bigfoot does not exist. With a time limit, naturally.
OK, the wager is $1,000,000 and you have two weeks to prove that you have won. [NOTE - Only concrete, verifiable, reliable, evidence that "Big Foot" does NOT exist will suffice to prove that you have won.]

Back
Top Bottom