• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jerusalem must be divided

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Even in Jerusalem, lies that are repeated too often do not become true. The truth has been and remains: either Jerusalem will become the capital of two peoples or Israel will become the state of two peoples.

President Barack Obama does not hand out U.S. graces at half price, for example a temporary freeze in settlement construction. In order to receive the generous package of American incentives put before him, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is required to hand over a list of Jewish settlements that will be wiped off the map. This list must include Hebron and Shiloh, the Jordan Valley and the northern Dead Sea, and also East JerusalemOn the map hanging in Netanyahu's office, such broad swaths of territory are labeled "Jerusalem," and on other maps around the world they are noted as "occupied territories." No country recognizes the annexation of 70 square kilometers of West Bank territory into the municipal boundaries of Jerusalem (whose area was 6.4 square kilometers under Jordanian rule ). Opposing a withdrawal from East Jerusalem will no doubt lead to a failure in the negotiations and turning our back on a two-state solution.
Jerusalem must be divided - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Israel should not be devided. It should be an undevided city that is the capitol of Israel. The Jewish leadership should also have rights to the Temple Mount.

Israel should not be devided. It should be an undevided city that is the capitol of Israel. The Jewish leadership should also have rights to the Temple Mount.

Fortunately most Israeli leaders don't agree with such a radical ideal. Hopefully Netanyahu will change his mind on this issue as well. Otherwise the chances of peace are slim to none.

Of course Jerusalem should be divided.

E Jerusalem deserves to be the future Capital of Palestine. I want Palestinians in charge of Muslims holy spots

Fortunately most Israeli leaders don't agree with such a radical ideal. Hopefully Netanyahu will change his mind on this issue as well. Otherwise the chances of peace are slim to none.

I hope he stays firm in his position. Palestinians should not have Jerusalem as their capitol. It should remain solely Israel's capitol along with Jewish control of Jewish holy sites with freedom for other religions that also share those places as holy.

Why the hell can't they share? Have it as a sort of territory of both, governed by a joint council, that is half Palestinian, half Israeli, decisions are made democratically, and everyone's happy.

And have it policed by the UN, so that way no-one can complain of bias and everyone gets screwed.

Why the hell can't they share? Have it as a sort of territory of both, governed by a joint council, that is half Palestinian, half Israeli, decisions are made democratically, and everyone's happy.

We don't need none of that hippie talk in here! :stop:

I hope he stays firm in his position. Palestinians should not have Jerusalem as their capitol. It should remain solely Israel's capitol along with Jewish control of Jewish holy sites with freedom for other religions that also share those places as holy.

Why shouldn't the Palestinians have East Jerusalem as their capital? The city was meant to be administered internationally, under no country's sovereignty. Legally, all of Jerusalem is occupied by Israel.

United Nations Security Council Resolution 476 - Wikisource
3. Reconfirms that all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, which purport to alter the character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem have no legal validity and constitute a flagrant violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War and also constitute a serious obstruction to achieving a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East;

United Nations Security Council Resolution 476 - Wikisource
3. Determines that all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, which have altered or purport to alter the character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and in particular the recent "basic law" on Jerusalem, are null and void and must be rescinded forthwith;

And yet Israel continues to alter the status of the territories it occupies.

Jerusalem is not Israel's nor will it ever be Israel's capital in any future peace settlement and why should Jews get control over all the holy sites? Jerusalem is also important to Muslims and Christians. Jews don't have a monopoly on that.

Palestinians should accept nothing less than E Jerusalem as their capital or the only other alternative. No one side having full control otherwise I and I'm sure all other Muslims would prefer Muslims having control over our own holy sites. I trust no other in their protection.

IMO, both parties' needs will have to be accommodated. Joint sovereignty over East Jerusalem with Muslim holy sites falling under the jurisdiction of Muslim authorities (the Temple Mount would need to be shared given importance in Judaism and Islam) is one means of doing so. Israel's ceding Arab neighborhoods to the Palestinians (a past negotiating position) is another. Under either arrangement, access to the holy sites should remain open.

Currently Israel controls all of Jerusalem, whether they share some of their sovereignty or not. If the Palestinians want east Jerusalem I suggest they start negotiating. They should realise that time is working against them, 1947 is a long time ago, there are consequences to losing wars.

Carrry on discussing who's right to what, and good luck trying to force a nuclear power to do anything they don't want.

Laila
No one side having full control otherwise I and I'm sure all other Muslims would prefer Muslims having control over our own holy sites. I trust no other in their protection.

Actually Muslims have shown absolute disregard for the ancient symbols of other religions, including their own. You might recall the destruction of ancient Buddhist statues, some going back over 2.000 years, and the looting of Museums in Baghdad.

I think Muslims in that area should be put on a probationary period for up to ten years in order to demonstrate that they can get along with their neighbours, that they can behave in a responsible manner regarding other religions, and they will stop teaching ancient hatreds to their children. Anything less than that and the problems can only continue.

Laila

Actually Muslims have shown absolute disregard for the ancient symbols of other religions, including their own. You might recall the destruction of ancient Buddhist statues, some going back over 2.000 years, and the looting of Museums in Baghdad.

I think Muslims in that area should be put on a probationary period for up to ten years in order to demonstrate that they can get along with their neighbours, that they can behave in a responsible manner regarding other religions, and they will stop teaching ancient hatreds to their children. Anything less than that and the problems can only continue.

No one is going to put Muslims in probation when it comes to our own holy sites. You may as well get that thought of out of your head.

And secondly it was Extremists who did that. It was also Muslims who has preserved many historical sites of all religions in the ME. Many old Churches are still in tact and open even in countries like Syria and Iran and many Muslim countries condemned that act. I thought it was disgusting, I couldn't believe it but I expected no less from Al Qaeda and those like them

Laila

Christians would never do such things.

I often wonder if it ever dawns on people prattling on with their demands as to the dispensation of Jerusalem that the very name they are using for the city is a Hebrew word?

I'm sure the irony is lost on most.

Christians would never do such things.

Except Christians have destroyed more religious and culutural symbols than all the other religions combined.

I often wonder if it ever dawns on people prattling on with their demands as to the dispensation of Jerusalem that the very name they are using for the city is a Hebrew word?

California, Nevada, Arizona... are spanish words. Saint-Louis, New Orleans...are French words. Kentucky, Mississipi, Nebraska...are indian words.

I guess there will be some territorial changes soon.

Except Christians have destroyed more religious and culutural symbols than all the other religions combined.

It was sarcasm

Edit: Nvm, Bub got there first

Reactions: bub
Laila

No one is going to put Muslims in probation when it comes to our own holy sites. You may as well get that thought of out of your head.

Muslims have shown disregard for Holy sites and artifacts in the past and there is no guarantee that they won''t do so in the future, especially in an area where religious feelings run so high.

And secondly it was Extremists who did that.

I realize that but it's also safe to say that there are numerous Muslim extremists in that area. Thats the point.
It was also Muslims who has preserved many historical sites of all religions in the ME.

Great. And may it continue.

Many old Churches are still in tact and open even in countries like Syria and Iran and many Muslim countries condemned that act. I thought it was disgusting, I couldn't believe it but I expected no less from Al Qaeda and those like them

All civilized people should condemn them, but in fact there are religious extremists in that area, and I shouldn't need to give examples. As you say, there are places where antiquities have been preserved but these were in more enlightened areas it seems. Why take the chance on areas where known extremists reside, and 'martyrs' are known as heroes? There has to be a better way.

Yes it far predates Islam.

I'm not sure that Muslims would appreciate Jews presiding over religious sites and artifacts in Mecca.

Yes it far predates Islam.

I'm not sure that Muslims would appreciate Jews presiding over religious sites and artifacts in Mecca.

Jews don't worship in Mecca nor is there anything of value to them there.

There's no irony because Palestinians speak Arabic and call Jerusalem al-Quds.

IMO, both parties' needs will have to be accommodated.

Indeed. The Jewish part of Jerusalem to Israeli, the Arab part to Palestinians, and the holy sites open to everyone.

Jews don't worship in Mecca nor is there anything of value to them there.

Yes, I know Jews do not worship in Mecca. In fact they aren't allowed near the place.

Had the Jews applied the same policies in Jerusalem we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Back
Top Bottom