• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jellyfish armada threatens Spanish beaches

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No Spanish beaches for THIS Noodle ;)

A VAST flotilla of small, virtually undetectable jellyfish have stung hundreds of people on Spanish beaches this week - a swimmer's nightmare that biologists say will become increasingly common due to climate change and overfishing.

The blobs attacked three areas near the eastern city of Elche along a famed stretch of white sand beaches known as the Costa Blanca.
On Tuesday alone, 380 people were stung, compared to the usual four or five swimmers a day, said Juan Carlos Castellanos of the Elche city tourism department.
The was no sign of the jellyfish yesterday but since Sunday at least 700 people have been stung.
"In the five or six years I have been in this job, I have never seen anything like this," Mr Castellanos said.
The beaches were never closed but officials put up warning signs and stationed lookout boats offshore.
The tourism official blamed strong currents for sweeping the jellyfish onto the beaches and then calm seas for letting them hang around for three days. Particularly warm waters - which jellyfish like - also helped boost their numbers during Spain's key summer tourism season.

Read more: Jellyfish armada threatens Spanish beaches | News.com.au

Oh.

I thought this was a thread about Michalle Antoibama's recent European vacation.

But Michelle Antoibama would never let herself be seen on White Beach.

Never mind.

Back
Top Bottom