• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jeb Bush's Open Border Policy

Do you suport Jeb Bush's Open Borders policy?

• Yes, the USA should be open to anyone who wants to come here.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No, only people who come thru legal immigration procedures should be allowed.

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Do you agree with Jeb Bush's Open Border policy?

In his book, Immigration War, Forging an American Solution, Jeb Bush praised illegal immigration as good for the country and openly opposes any plans for increasing border security. He also praised President Obama's policy of open doors to illegal immigration of children. To the Wall Street Journal, he joined Obama in what he called "exercising compassion to children from Central America."

On another occasion he said that no children of illegal immigrants, even if not born here "should be denied USA citizenship." In short, any child who gets to the USA in any way should be granted US citizenship. And, then, it would be unethical to deport their parents either. So anyone can come to the USA. All they have to do is get here and no obstacles at the border preventing doing so.

Do you agree with Jeb Bush's Open Borders Policy as good for the country?

Last edited:
only citizens that are born to two citizens should be allowed.

Citizens should also be allowed to bump any "immigrant" from a job if they want it.

Amnesty=/=open borders.

Definitely, but he goes beyond amnesty to also opposing increasing border security. There are people who agree with him on that. The question is do you?

Immigration policy is an area where to a large the degree the political parties both went the opposite way. The Democratic Party used to oppose immigration, particularly those in the Union camp - as unions greatly opposed large scale immigration to stop cheap labor competing for jobs driving wages down. Republicans and corporations wanted the cheap labor.

Now Democrats support mass numbers of cheap immigrant labor and Republicans oppose it.

A curious flip flop by both parties historically.

In his book, Immigration War, Forging an American Solution, Jeb Bush praised illegal immigration as good for the country and openly opposes any plans for increasing border security. He also praised President Obama's policy of open doors to illegal immigration of children. To the Wall Street Journal, he joined Obama in what he called "exercising compassion to children from Central America."

On another occasion he said that no children of illegal immigrants, even if not born here "should be denied USA citizenship." In short, any child who gets to the USA in any way should be granted US citizenship. And, then, it would be unethical to deport their parents either. So anyone can come to the USA. All they have to do is get here and no obstacles at the border preventing doing so.

Do you have a link to his 'open border policy' so we can answer properly?

Nope.

A sovereign nation that doesn't enforce control over it's borders isn't really a sovereign nation anymore. Part of what defines a sovereign nation is that it's borders are controlled.

I support legalized immigration, and I support fixing the process so that it is managed more effectively, including cost effectively. I support a guest worker program, and I also support enforcement of laws that penalize businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

I do not support open borders in any sense, and would support the militarization of the border, if that's the only way to make it secure and controlled, but would prefer any and all other methods that are far more effective, including being far more cost effective

Definitely, but he goes beyond amnesty to also opposing increasing border security. There are people who agree with him on that. The question is do you?

You do a terrible job at reading about a book's main arguments. He doesn't praise illegal immigration in the book.

"Miami-Dade also has borne the brunt of the negative side of immigration. Our first few years in Miami, we saw the cost of unchecked immigration. The costs created by the minority of Cuban immigrants who arrived with the Mariel boatlift in 1980 were enormous in terms of the crime they created and the social costs they imposed. In addition, Miami became the center of narco-trafficking, which added huge burdens to our community. So you see, I know firsthand what happens when the federal government is lax in enforcing our immigration laws.

I also know firsthand the good that comes when the federal government makes border enforcement a high priority." p.xiv

To summarize what Jeb proposes in this book (which he does in chapter 1, entitled "A Proposal for Immigration Reform," and then details the policy and politics of that proposal for the rest of the book):
Fundamental Reform: Comprehensive interrelated approach because system as a whole is broken, and to achieve bipartisan consensus.
A Demand-Driven Immigration System: Replace overriding preference for family reunification with work-based immigration.
An Increased Role for the States: Share federal authority over immigration policy [such as] social services and providing benefits.
Dealing With Current Illegal Immigrants: We propose a path to permanent legal resident status for those who plead guilty to having entered our country illegally as adults and who have committed no additional crimes of significance.
Border Security: Broader immigration reform is an essential component of border security; we can't do one without the other.
Toward a More Vibrant Future: Getting immigration policy right will allow us to reclaim the prosperity that in recent years has eluded our grasp.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Immigration_Wars.htm

Give state and local governments more authority to enforce immigration law: Bush wants any state or local government to have the leeway to enforce immigration law by checking the immigration status of those arrested for serious crimes. He also wants them to have the authority to police the border should they believe that federal resources devoted to border security are inadequate. Finally, he'd allow states to pass voter ID laws to ensure that non-citizens don't commit election fraud.

—More border security and military to the border: Bush would provide more border security through increasing real and virtual fencing, drones, and border agents. He'd extend Homeland Security's authority to the 50 national parks that are within 100 miles of the border. Finally, he'd authorize the president to deploy military and the National Guard to secure the border. (Obama sent 1,200 National Guard to the border in 2010.)

We read Jeb Bush’s immigration book so you don’t have to - The Washington Post

Last edited:
Won't be voting for him.

Well, that was the case before, this just affirms my feelings towards him.

Do you have a link to his 'open border policy' so we can answer properly?

Nope. He listens to radio host. Radio host knows all. Book reviews, open-access to the authors' orientations toward immigration policy in the book, and video interviews with Bush mean nothing!

Last edited:
only citizens that are born to two citizens should be allowed.
Sure. But you have to make it retroactive through infinite generations.

Citizens should also be allowed to bump any "immigrant" from a job if they want it.

You could implement this rule and US citizens would take advantage of it precisely zero times.

It depends who Jeb Bush is talking to and his political goal at the moment for his stance on some issues such as immigration. In his book, he talks about problems of illegal immigration, but elsewhere in it takes the opposite stance. To the Wall Street Journal, he sides with Obama specifically saying children of illegal immigrants should be given US citizenship (obviously then not born here) - actually going beyond Obama.

He is a warhawk neocon or Ron Paul isolationist, depending who he is talking to, what month it is, who he is working, and his goal at the time. He'll say he supports local control of schools, while supporting Common Core - which dictates what schools must and must not teach including control of textbooks.

To grab the middle ground to the media - and for a very long time - promoted amnesty, open borders, illegal immigration and Obama-style immigration "reform." But, now going for the Republican primary, blasts Obama doing exactly what he said he would do as President.

In this, Jeb Bush can be promoted anyway his campaign team such as Fiddlytree does finding any quote he wants to - noting that on another thread Fiddlytree raves of the Kennedys in office - not exactly Republican, is it? Certainly not conservative.

But the real question is what has Jeb Bush MOSTLY said - and what did he do as Governor of Florida about illegal immigration? Nothing. Nothing at all. He often openly has said his goal is to get Latino votes, so he said what he felt they wanted to hear. NOW that he is seeking the Republican nomination? He'll run to the right and deny what he has said for years. But his stance is the same as his father and his brother - and always has been.

In this, Jeb Bush can be promoted anyway his campaign team such as Fiddlytree does finding any quote he wants to - noting that on another thread Fiddlytree raves of the Kennedys in office - not exactly Republican, is it? Certainly not conservative.

The point I was making on that was certainly more conservative (in the traditional aristocratic sense) than you would accept.

Where I clearly said I support them on some things, but not with many other political positions. I said the family produces politicians of a higher quality than democratically liberal minded people fear about well-established families holding political power. Listening to democratically liberal people, you would somehow presume that the Roosevelts, Kennedys, Bushs, Adams', Taft's and Rockefellers would have been filled with incompetent politicians. You know, the apple falling very far from the tree. Not the case. They were and are politically well-bred.

Lastly, your summation of his positions shows how poorly you grasp what you speak of. The man has never approached a Ron Paul isolationism. Common Core doesn't really dictate what must be taught any more than any other state standards did. They most often covered the same broad subjects, offered some bland suggestions for what skills to develop, and so on. Most of the time your states' previous standards mirrored what the CC did. Much of the time all that changed was verbiage and emphasis. Lastly, standards are pretty much the weakest point of school reform. It holds very little power and aren't much of a reflection with what teachers actually do in the classroom. This is why I'm very indifferent toward CC. It's a reform effort that will measure little to no improvement in the American public schools. Why won't it improve much (if anything at all)? Because they are just standards. Never mind that though. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

I don't think securing the border anymore than what we already have is necessary. I agree with the statement you've provided, but I don't "agree" with Jeb on immigration, because he's been prone to flip-flopping on the issue.

Opposing further border security in addition to what we already have is still not supporting open borders.

De Facto it does.

I assume your response is going to contain something about how "amnesty sets a precedent, and rewards lawbreakers," or whatever, but please save it. An open borders policy is no restrictions on freedom of movement across a border. You and I both know that amnesty doesn't do this, so quit trying to stretch the definition.

I don't think securing the border anymore than what we already have is necessary. I agree with the statement you've provided, but I don't "agree" with Jeb on immigration, because he's been prone to flip-flopping on the issue.

Opposing further border security in addition to what we already have is still not supporting open borders.

I assume your response is going to contain something about how "amnesty sets a precedent, and rewards lawbreakers," or whatever, but please save it. An open borders policy is no restrictions on freedom of movement across a border. You and I both know that amnesty doesn't do this, so quit trying to stretch the definition.

Little old ladies can walk here, and there's no punishment for doing it, its defacto.

Listened to first 10 min of video and I like him. He has the right temperament. Intelligent, open minded, high character. I like the fact that he would seek to build coalitions on anything where there is agreement on both sides. Could do far worse than this man.

Sure. But you have to make it retroactive through infinite generations.

They lost. TO bad.

You could implement this rule and US citizens would take advantage of it precisely zero times.

20 million would use it ASAP.

Jeb Bush's Open Border Policy

my own family showed up here long, long ago, but they probably still took **** from those who came here before. i'm not going to make the same mistake and give the next wave of immigrants any **** about wanting to come here.

It is not about wanting, it is about doing.

Back
Top Bottom