• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jayme Kloss Kidnapper Social Skills Deficits

Gladiator

Verifier
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
"PEOPLE learns that Patterson graduated in 2015 from Northwood High School in Minong, Wisconsin. The student body there was small; there were only 34 other members of Patterson’s graduating class.
Schoolmates remember Patterson as quiet and withdrawn. His yearbook notes his only extracurricular activity was as a member of the Quiz Bowl team. His senior yearbook quote was “I’m finally done with school.”

Most of Thomas’ classmates did not want to talk about him to PEOPLE. But Brooke Keller, who was two years ahead of Patterson in school, did speak about him, saying she only remembers him because the school was so small.

“Honestly, he didn’t stand out at all,” Keller tells PEOPLE. “I can’t tell you a single story about him, because he didn’t do anything. If it was just you and him in a room, no one would talk.”

https://people.com/crime/jayme-closs-suspect-jake-thomas-patterson-high-school/

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i299j33i160.j4J1Dxgsf6w

My point is that there are sometimes signs that some one has social skill deficits as they are growing up. Is it the parent's sole responsibility to educate their children with Emotional Intelligence? What opportunities and options do schools and staff have to assist students to develop skills of social interaction? There is push back from advocacy groups working to promote autism range services and privileges.

Was Jayme's kidnapper within the Autism range? Other recognized learning disabilities? Should parents and teachers of students with low social skills take a more active role in alleviating the deficits?

Or should low social skills just be ignored, and crimes the might be prevented, just be allowed to transpire, as a certain percentage to happen, as inevitable?

Some schools have utilized character development discussion structures in the curriculum.

Can components of factors contributing to criminal occurrences be separated out for partial improvements?

//

Last edited:
...Can components of factors contributing to criminal occurrences be separated out for partial improvements?

Well, of course. It's not as though we don't all have those qualities in some measure. It's that the balance of those qualities, relative to other qualities, the ones we deem positive and conducive to civil society's permanence, is, in criminals, well, unbalanced.

Look the character traits below. The symmetry and balance of the image is a visual metaphor for the balance that must exist among the panoply of human personality traits. Too much of one, not enough of another and one's personality, character "scales" are out of kilter. Thus is formed a criminal, reprobate, profligate liar, etc.

characterispower.jpg

"PEOPLE learns that Patterson graduated in 2015 from Northwood High School in Minong, Wisconsin. The student body there was small; there were only 34 other members of Patterson’s graduating class.
Schoolmates remember Patterson as quiet and withdrawn. His yearbook notes his only extracurricular activity was as a member of the Quiz Bowl team. His senior yearbook quote was “I’m finally done with school.”

Most of Thomas’ classmates did not want to talk about him to PEOPLE. But Brooke Keller, who was two years ahead of Patterson in school, did speak about him, saying she only remembers him because the school was so small.

“Honestly, he didn’t stand out at all,” Keller tells PEOPLE. “I can’t tell you a single story about him, because he didn’t do anything. If it was just you and him in a room, no one would talk.”

https://people.com/crime/jayme-closs-suspect-jake-thomas-patterson-high-school/

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i299j33i160.j4J1Dxgsf6w

My point is that there are sometimes signs that some one has social skill deficits as they are growing up. Is it the parent's sole responsibility to educate their children with Emotional Intelligence? What opportunities and options do schools and staff have to assist students to develop skills of social interaction? There is push back from advocacy groups working to promote autism range services and privileges.

Was Jayme's kidnapper within the Autism range? Other recognized learning disabilities? Should parents and teachers of students with low social skills take a more active role in alleviating the deficits?

Or should low social skills just be ignored, and crimes the might be prevented, just be allowed to transpire, as a certain percentage to happen, as inevitable?

Some schools have utilized character development discussion structures in the curriculum.

Can components of factors contributing to criminal occurrences be separated out for partial improvements?

//

So what is your story......everyone who is not a proper social animal in your eyes is now to be considered a potential murderer in your Brave New World?

I pass.....

So what is your story......everyone who is not a proper social animal in your eyes is now to be considered a potential murderer in your Brave New World?

I pass.....

One situation that might be addressed by the government, in preventing crime, would be improved social skill training for individuals discharged from the service. There are social skill related issues for some who have served in the military branches. The incidence of Criminal acts, suicide and unemployment could be addressed by offering an incentivizing, improved social skill raining on discharge from a branch of service.

There are some charitable organizations that offer services to some veterans. Could the military services provide more help to individuals transition, who are leaving the service, after being trained to kill?

"We're learning more about Jake Patterson, the suspect in the kidnapping of Jayme Closs and the killing of her parents in Wisconsin. The Marine Corps confirmed Patterson was prematurely discharged in 2015 after service for about a month. In a statement to CBS News, a spokesperson said it was "indicative of the fact that the character of his service was incongruent with Marine Corps' expectations and standards."

CBS News correspondent Jamie Yuccas noted the mood in the community shifted from joy after her escape to shock over the horrific details of Closs' kidnapping and her parents' murder."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jayme-...was-prematurely-discharged-from-marine-corps/

https://www.google.com/search?ei=bJ...-wiz.......0i3j33i22i29i30j33i299.Fu3YdvaN6hc

//

Last edited:
"The objective of the present research was to assess the success of a program in reducing official delinquent behavior among youth identified as one step away from the state training school or waiver to adult court. The Second Chance program represents a rehabilitative strategy that uses social skills training, preemployment training, and job placement opportunities to reduce recidivism. Utilizing multiple comparison groups and a one-year follow-up period, evidence of a reduction in official delinquent and criminal offending was not found. Offenses committed by the Second Chance group were less serious, however. Implications and recommendations for future research are discussed."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0047235295000017

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...l+training&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholar

//

Sadly we have a long way to go in understanding the predictors of violence and suicide.

But the research is a very good investment for society IMO.

Back
Top Bottom