• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jayland Walker was shot 46 times by Ohio police, medical examiner says

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The 25-year-old Black motorist was killed June 27 in a barrage of bullets fired by Akron police after officers attempted to pull him over on an unspecified traffic violation.

Jayland Walker, the Black motorist killed by Ohio police last month, suffered 46 gunshot wounds in the hail of officer gunfire, the medical examiner’s office revealed Friday.

The 46 shots were from entrance and graze wounds, Summit County Medical Examiner Lisa Kohler said at a news conference announcing a summary of the autopsy findings.

Walker, 25, died of blood loss from internal injuries and the cause was gunshot wounds. His death was ruled a homicide, Kohler said.
=====================================================
I wonder what these cops were high on other than adrenaline.

For whatever reason, this man was looking to die that night. Suicide by cop that was successful.

For clarification, the "ruling of homicide" by the medical examiner is a medical ruling only, not legal.

A gunfight is not target practice where one stops shooting after each pull of the trigger to see how close he came to a bullseye.

For clarification, the "ruling of homicide" by the medical examiner is a medical ruling only, not legal.
Homicide is also a legal ruling. Murder, manslaughter, depraved indifference, etc. Those are not medical terms.
For whatever reason, this man was looking to die that night. Suicide by cop that was successful.
How is running away from cops "suicide by cop"?

The 25-year-old Black motorist was killed June 27 in a barrage of bullets fired by Akron police after officers attempted to pull him over on an unspecified traffic violation.

Jayland Walker, the Black motorist killed by Ohio police last month, suffered 46 gunshot wounds in the hail of officer gunfire, the medical examiner’s office revealed Friday.

The 46 shots were from entrance and graze wounds, Summit County Medical Examiner Lisa Kohler said at a news conference announcing a summary of the autopsy findings.

Walker, 25, died of blood loss from internal injuries and the cause was gunshot wounds. His death was ruled a homicide, Kohler said.
And given average police competency that means something in the neighborhood of 200 rounds went down range. any idea where they went?

A gunfight is not target practice where one stops shooting after each pull of the trigger to see how close he came to a bullseye.
That wasn't a gunfight. It was target practice.

I did not see it mentioned that the kid had a gun or fired anything... do you have evidence of this?

Without it there is no gun fight.

Homicide is also a legal ruling. Murder, manslaughter, depraved indifference, etc. Those are not medical terms.

How is running away from cops "suicide by cop"?
In this case, the ME rules it a homicide in the medical sense as it was a death at the hands of another.

After watching the video numerous times, this guy wanted to do IMO. Shooting at a cop during the chase and then turning around and making a movement while chased and cops are yelling at you to stop usually end violently.

In this case, the ME rules it a homicide in the medical sense as it was a death at the hands of another.

After watching the video numerous times, this guy wanted to do IMO. Shooting at a cop during the chase and then turning around and making a movement while chased and cops are yelling at you to stop usually end violently.
The police say that they found his gun fully loaded and that it had not been shot.

The police say that they found his gun fully loaded and that it had not been shot.
Apparently he drew the firearm and pointed it at them making him a lethal threat. The number of rounds fired seems excessive to me, but really that's for the police department to work out, and if it determines that the shooting was irresponsible, to better train its officers on trigger discipline.

The shooting was righteous, if overzealous.

Apparently he drew the firearm and pointed it at them making him a lethal threat. The number of rounds fired seems excessive to me, but really that's for the police department to work out, and if it determines that the shooting was irresponsible, to better train its officers on trigger discipline.

The shooting was righteous, if overzealous.
The police say that he shot at them from his window when he was driving but the gun was found unfired in the car after he ran away.

It might technically be a good shoot because they did not know that he did not
still have the gun but it was reckless beyond reason the way the officers responded.

The police say that he shot at them from his window when he was driving but the gun was found unfired in the car after he ran away.

It might technically be a good shoot because they did not know that he did not
still have the gun but it was reckless beyond reason the way the officers responded.
Even if they knew he never fired a shot it would still be a just shooting if he drew the firearm and even vaguely pointed it in their direction.

But I agree: In hindsight, the way it went down appears reckless from the safety and comfort of my armchair.

Even if they knew he never fired a shot it would still be a just shooting if he drew the firearm and even vaguely pointed it in their direction.
I agree that it was a just shooting...
But I agree: In hindsight, the way it went down appears reckless from the safety and comfort of my armchair.
It was extremely reckless... at what point does being shot 40+ times, and down and not moving, register to the cops and they stop shooting?

There was one cop screaming CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE and a couple of cops were still firing away.

If he was hit 46 times then they must have shot well over 100 shots, if not more. Those bullets, in a neighborhood, end up somewhere.

He really ****ed up.
Too bad he did such stupid shit. Cost him his life.

The camera catches the flash and a shot can be heard from inside the patrol car. Early reports also said that police found a shell casing matching the gun caliber at the area of camera zone. Haven't been following the case closely so first I've heard of a fully loaded gun.

Power.

What if, just for the sake of argument, we have a bunch of racist cops that tell Jaylon from the onset that he is going to die. Its pretty easy for cops to have a little fun.... kind of big game hunting. They put Jaylon into a situation that he fears for his life, which provides the cover for their little game. Jaylon, fearing for his life, pulls out all stops, including firing at the cops, which plays right into their little game. He gives these bad cops probable cause to hunt him down and kill him. Its not like cops ever get charged with murder except in the most egregious circumstances. it would be pretty easy for racist cops (and there are many) to essentially be in a position to execute blacks.

Just an ugly thought, but their really is very little to protect a black man from that situation. Cops pretty much know they can kill a black man and get away with it, so some do. It happens way too often. https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/2020/know-their-names/index.html

Sorry, a routine traffic stop that ends in the death of the motorist should generally result in the cops getting fired. They are suppose to be the professionals. Its their job to de-escalate the situation, which in this case, like many others, they failed miserably at. They are not Akron's finest by any stretch of the imagination. They are not up for the job.

Last edited:
The camera catches the flash and a shot can be heard from inside the patrol car. Early reports also said that police found a shell casing matching the gun caliber at the area of camera zone. Haven't been following the case closely so first I've heard of a fully loaded gun.
The police said that they found the gun with a full clip. He might have had one in the chamber, I guess. Have to wait and see but the fact that he did not take the gun with him or shoot the approaching officers as he struggled to get his car going, to me, indicates he did not fire the supposed shot.

It was extremely reckless... at what point does being shot 40+ times, and down and not moving, register to the cops and they stop shooting?

There was one cop screaming CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE and a couple of cops were still firing away.

If he was hit 46 times then they must have shot well over 100 shots, if not more. Those bullets, in a neighborhood, end up somewhere.
They all apparently ended up in a safe area without damage to bystander or property, or we would have certainly heard about it. Police are trained to consider what is behind their target before they fire.

I'm reserving judgment on this one. I'm open to hearing the police department's conclusion on what exactly happened and why.

That’s not reckless under a legal standard, since all the shots were aimed, at a threat, and justified. It would be reckless if they were shooting in the air or without identifying their target

The police said that they found the gun with a full clip. He might have had one in the chamber, I guess. Have to wait and see but the fact that he did not take the gun with him or shoot the approaching officers as he struggled to get his car going, to me, indicates he did not fire the supposed shot.
The shooting was caught on video. You can hear it on the officers camera and he then calls in “shots fired” on the radio. A street camera catches what appears to be a muzzle flash from the driver side window.

There is no real way to determine a gun “unfired”

It may smell like burnt gunpowder for a little while after the discharge, but may also not. That’s not a scientific test, and the number of rounds doesn’t matter because he could’ve reloaded before leaving it

What if, just for the sake of argument, we have a bunch of racist cops that tell Jaylon from the onset that he is going to die. Its pretty easy for cops to have a little fun.... kind of big game hunting. They put Jaylon into a situation that he fears for his life, which provides the cover for their little game. Jaylon, fearing for his life, pulls out all stops, including firing at the cops, which plays right into their little game. He gives these bad cops probable cause to hunt him down and kill him. Its not like cops ever get charged with murder except in the most egregious circumstances. it would be pretty easy for racist cops (and there are many) to essentially be in a position to execute blacks.

Just an ugly thought, but their really is very little to protect a black man from that situation. Cops pretty much know they can kill a black man and get away with it, so some do. It happens way too often. https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/2020/know-their-names/index.html

Sorry, a routine traffic stop that ends in the death of the motorist should generally result in the cops getting fired. They are suppose to be the professionals. Its their job to de-escalate the situation, which in this case, like many others, they failed miserably at. They are not Akron's finest by any stretch of the imagination. They are not up for the job.
That view is certainly the broadest of brushes. My view is that at any point if Mr. Walker would have stopped, this would have ended with him being taking into custody. Couple that with the extensive video and I'll stand by my original thought, he wanted to die that night.

Sure, after the fact they found the gun but had no way of knowing that during foot chase. With reports of shots fired and then he makes a move towards the cops while on foot (and will not comply to any commands) any reasonable person would make the connection that this person is about to do harm.

If you don't think he fired a shot then what do you think the flash was on traffic camera and the sound picked up from patrol car?

8 cops shooting
an average of 6 hits per cop
each firing until they recognize the target is in no position to offer resistance
seems about right

Back
Top Bottom