• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jared Golden wins ranked-choice count for Maine's 2nd District

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Yet another Dem pick up...

Democrat Jared Golden has won the ranked-choice count for Maine's 2nd Congressional District, defeating Republican incumbent Bruce Poliquin.

This is the first U.S. House seat to be determined by ranked-choice voting.

Golden won with just over 50 percent of the vote after the ranked-choice tabulation Thursday afternoon. Golden won by just over 2,900 votes.​

*edit... I believe this makes it 35 to this point the number of seat Dems gained and Repubs lost.

Last edited:
And the Big Blue Wave keeps on claiming GOP victims.

Yet another Dem pick up...

Democrat Jared Golden has won the ranked-choice count for Maine's 2nd Congressional District, defeating Republican incumbent Bruce Poliquin.

This is the first U.S. House seat to be determined by ranked-choice voting.

Golden won with just over 50 percent of the vote after the ranked-choice tabulation Thursday afternoon. Golden won by just over 2,900 votes.​

*edit... I believe this makes it 35 to this point the number of seat Dems gained and Repubs lost.
Wow. CNN, and I believe 538.com, had that in the Red column. I think that makes for a solid +38 pick-up, the way it's going. Nice!

Golden did not "win". This cannot stand. Bad for Maine , worse for the country. Rank choice will be a cancer that spreads throughout the country.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Golden did not "win". This cannot stand. Bad for Maine , worse for the country. Rank choice will be a cancer that spreads throughout the country.

Rank choice will represent the will of the people. Ensuring at the winner represents the choice of at least 50% of the voters

Rank choice will represent the will of the people. Ensuring at the winner represents the choice of at least 50% of the voters

Yes, it makes way more sense than the alternative and in fact would allow us to get away from 2-party system if a good-enough 3rd party candidate runs!

Voting for your preferred candidate without fearing of "throwing away" your vote is very powerful.

Yes, it makes way more sense than the alternative and in fact would allow us to get away from 2-party system if a good-enough 3rd party candidate runs!

Voting for your preferred candidate without fearing of "throwing away" your vote is very powerful.
Yes, having 2 votes is very powerful.

Sore Loser...Deal with it

Republicans are wildly against rank choice. It interferes with their system of winning office without the backing of the population.

I am a huge proponent of ranked choice. It certainly doesn’t violate the US Constitution. I haven’t a clue about Maine’s Constituion, though.

Sure he did. More of his constituents preferred he represent them than the alternative.

Sore Loser...Deal with it
Poliquin needs to fight this all the way to the Supreme Court if it needs to go that far. Rank choice violated Maine's constitution. Maine needs a citizen initiative to ban all future citizen initiatives. It has become a cheap playground for Bloomberg, Soros types to try out schemes to be later brought to the rest of the country.

Poliquin received the most votes.

Maine evidently is tired of winning. Hope Poliquin is not.

Poliquin needs to fight this all the way to the Supreme Court if it needs to go that far. Rank choice violated Maine's constitution. Maine needs a citizen initiative to ban all future citizen initiatives. It has become a cheap playground for Bloomberg, Soros types to try out schemes to be later brought to the rest of the country.

Soros?....Doubt he'd bother much with a backwater like Maine...He is too busy controlling all the worldwide finances with a cabal of Jews.....Be afraid

Poliquin is a loser...Maybe trump will give him a job

Soros?....Doubt he'd bother much with a backwater like Maine...He is too busy controlling all the worldwide finances with a cabal of Jews.....Be afraid
Backwaters like Maine are where the camel gets his nose under the tent; cheap media market, low populatuon.

Back
Top Bottom