• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Japanese welcome their new emperor

"His Excellency" was not used after President George Washington. It reminded Americans of the British monarch.

HisExcellency.jpg

Thing about saying the name of the Emperor of Japan: Never call him Emperor Naruhito. Living or dead, the Emperor of Japan is never called by his given name. This also applies to the living retired "emperor emeritus", who is never called Akihito. This is very important to avoid an imperial faux pas if you're ever in Japan or talking to Japanese.

When an emperor is still alive, they can only be called:

* His Majesty the Emperor (Tenno Heika)
* His Current Majesty (Kinjo Heika)
* The Emperor (Tenno)

Until his death, the emperor who just retired is called:

* The Emperor Emeritus (Daijo Tenno)
* or just for short, "Joko"

Now, AFTER an emperor's death, they still are never called in their given name. Instead, their "posthumous name" is the name of their Era, which was decided upon at their accession. Currently, it is the Reiwa Era, so the new emperor will be styled "Reiwa Tenno" posthumously. When the Emperor Emeritus dies, he will thereafter be styled "Heisei Tenno"; but never until then.

Thus, the Japanese never call the wartime emperor (reigned 1926 to 1989) as "Emperor Hirohito" as we do in the West; but the Emperor Showa (Showa-Tenno).

I have no idea what to call the Empress, or her mother-in-law, the Empress Emeritus. Of course, we always refer to a non-reigning Queen (wife of a king) as Your Majesty in the West. I am not aware of a convention involving a posthumous name for Her Imperial Majesty.

A million thanks for your erudite explanation.

I do not know Japanese, but when I occasionally watch a Japanese-language newscast on YouTube, I am able to understand the newsreader when she says "Tenno Heika."

I do so wish that the United States had a ceremonial head of state, too. Then we could have someone whom we all respected or at least whom we didn't care about either way. As it is, the country is dangerously polarized.

I just can't get over it: the politeness of the Japanese to their emperor.

Every morning, I go to YouTube to see the latest videos of the Emperor and Empress (usually, they are shown getting on or off the imperial train).

Everyone is bowing to their majesties, and the latter bow back (although not so deeply).

I dream of what our country would be like if members of Congress bowed to President Trump, and he to them. Surely, it would help to dampen some of the animosity between them.

Sigh.

1. Mark your calendars for October 22.

2. You will get a chance to watch traditional pageantry as Japan conducts the enthronement ceremony for Emperor Naruhito.

3. Our Vice President was scheduled to represent us, but it has been announced that Secretary of Transportation Chao will have that honor.

4. It should be a very festive day for our Japanese friends.

Banzai! ("Long live the King!")

A million thanks for your erudite explanation.

I do not know Japanese, but when I occasionally watch a Japanese-language newscast on YouTube, I am able to understand the newsreader when she says "Tenno Heika."
Yeah, but that's speaking of him in the third person.

If you're ever invited, you address him with Heika (forget the Tenno, he knows what he is already). And wait for him to address you first. All others of nobility (his wife included) may be addressed as "sama". That's a suffix to the name (Oda-sama) applied to males and females alike but don't ever use Heika as a suffix, it stands alone as address.

Name here being family name, using the first name is heavily frowned upon even today. Confusion may arise while reading a business (calling) card. By the Eastern name order it'll show the family name first, given name second. Thus Hiro (given name) Matsuoro (family name) will show as Matsuoro Hiro. When the addressee is not of nobility the more apt suffix will be san (Matsuoro-san).

Go!:lol:

I do so wish that the United States had a ceremonial head of state, too. Then we could have someone whom we all respected or at least whom we didn't care about either way. As it is, the country is dangerously polarized.
Welll, you do have an official (by now) title to use as proper form of address.

Clown.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I just can't get over it: the politeness of the Japanese to their emperor.

Every morning, I go to YouTube to see the latest videos of the Emperor and Empress (usually, they are shown getting on or off the imperial train).

Everyone is bowing to their majesties, and the latter bow back (although not so deeply).

I dream of what our country would be like if members of Congress bowed to President Trump, and he to them. Surely, it would help to dampen some of the animosity between them.

Sigh.
When you're not sure of the societal or hierarchical position of a Japanese (in relation to your own) YOU bow deeply while slanting your view up at him to see what he does. If he gives a less deep bow your rank is established and you wait for him to stop bowing. Then you can relax your neck as well.

I've experienced situations of two being totally unsure about relative status and keeping up the bowing game for over a minute until one (or both) were short of falling onto their face(s). The trick when seeing that is to think of serious accidents or something. Because if you start even giggling, you're toast.

On May 1, 2019, Japan will have a new emperor.

His Majesty Emperor Naruhito will occupy the Chrysanthemum Throne.

His enthronement ceremony will be later.

We Americans are scheduled to be honored by having His Excellency President Donald J. Trump as His Majesty's first foreign guest.

I think the term " your Orangency " might be worth considering if the more honest " your Bigotency " is a little too graphic ;)

I think the term " your Orangency " might be worth considering if the more honest " your Bigotency " is a little too graphic ;)
I prefer my previously stated version (clown). Short and to the point and far less pretentious.:lol:

I prefer my previously stated version (clown). Short and to the point and far less pretentious.:lol:

The only problem I see with that is that clowns are funny and usually in a childish/ innocent way. Trump is a bitter racist mysogenistic narcissist who would just be thrilled we were even talking about him in the first place.

BTW you always think your ideas are the best regardless of reality. :mrgreen:

I understand that our more formal foreign friends do address our president as "His Excellency."

And, I believe, that the title was used in the earlier days of the republic, e.g., His Excellency President George Washington.

I think that we need a little more formality and ceremony in our country. So I'm trying to reintroduce "His Excellency."

(P.S. Even the title "The Honorable" drives some anti-Trump people absolutely bananas!)

Have a nice day!

They tried but we dont have a king so the title is not used perhaps we can go back to his rotundity?

Might want to “return” to YOUTUBE; how far a journey is it anyway?

Unfortunately Japan has had the racist immigration policy Trump loves for quite some time.

If you're ever invited, you address him with Heika (forget the Tenno, he knows what he is already). And wait for him to address you first. All others of nobility (his wife included) may be addressed as "sama". That's a suffix to the name (Oda-sama) applied to males and females alike but don't ever use Heika as a suffix, it stands alone as address.

Name here being family name, using the first name is heavily frowned upon even today. Confusion may arise while reading a business (calling) card. By the Eastern name order it'll show the family name first, given name second. Thus Hiro (given name) Matsuoro (family name) will show as Matsuoro Hiro. When the addressee is not of nobility the more apt suffix will be san (Matsuoro-san).

Many thanks for the informative comments.

I have read on the Japan Times website that the Japanese government has decided that Japanese surnames will now come first when mentioned in English.

The Chinese have always put the surname first in English ("President Xi Jinping will visit." Not: "President Jinping Xi will visit.").

Thanks again. I am eager to watch the Emperor's enthronement ceremonies next week.

Thank you.

Bye the way, the honorific "His Excellency" is not used with US presidents. Just the title "Mr. President" or "The Honorable".

Could you make that sound more confusing.

Do those idiots think they can beat China.

They tried but we dont have a king so the title is not used perhaps we can go back to his rotundity?

To be fair, President Trump is positively slender when compared with many other American men of his age.

I have been watching the Emperor's enthronement ceremony on the World Wide Web.

Wow! What a unique culture the Japanese have.

I hope with all of my heart that they can keep it that way.

There must be some other way to deal with their shrinking population than to open wide the doors to their country.

They have just had a procession in which the new Emperor and Empress rode in an automobile to wave to their subjects.

It was very nice.

But I was a bit taken aback when I read that the police had ordered all people in high-rise buildings along the route NOT to look down on the royal couple from their windows. It sounded a bit authoritarian to me.

Back
Top Bottom