• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Japan warns about terror in Europe; tourists chill

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Japan warns about terror in Europe; tourists chill - Yahoo! News
The U.S. State Department alert Sunday advised the hundreds of thousands of American citizens living or traveling in Europe to take more precaution about their personal security. The British Foreign Office warned travelers to France and Germany that the terror threat in the countries was high.

Western nations are aligned in their estimation of the threat, a French official said.

"These American recommendations are line with the recommendations that we have made on our own territory," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero, pointing to France's "red" terror alert status — the second-highest in the French warning system.

"All countries concerned have a convergent analysis of the high level of threat in Europe," Valero said.

In Berlin, Interior Ministry spokesman Michael Paris said German authorities were taking the latest travel warnings "very seriously," but that there were no indications of an imminent terror threat.

I do wish they would just a little more specific about what kind of planned attacks they broke up this time. They said the plan was in it's early stages, so they would have to know what it was to recognize what stage it was in, wouldn't they?

I like the part of the story that said:
"Don't walk around with the American flag on your back,"
I remember when a few years ago stories were going around about Americans wearing shirts with Canadian flags. That was funny.

What I want to know now is before I go to Europe should I get dark a tan stop trimming my beard and find a T-shirt that says Proud to be a Muslim, or assalam o alaikum like this السلام عليكم

Just remember to never mention Mohammad or include any kind of picture other depiction of him.

I sure wish we had a way of knowing what the Mossad knows on a regular basis I know they sometimes use tactic frowned of by some goody two shoes types but they are effective and just about the best there is as what they do.

Oh yea you don't hear about what they do unless it's speculation because they really are good. They are like a bunch of James Bonds on matzo balls.

There is no threat at all, I think there is more risk to be killed by a meteor or by a lightning than by a terrorist attack. I'm in a touristic and crowded place with several americans and no one feels threatened, one of them even told me she felt safer here than in the USA.

I sure wish we had a way of knowing what the Mossad knows on a regular basis I know they sometimes use tactic frowned of by some goody two shoes types but they are effective and just about the best there is as what they do.

Oh yea you don't hear about what they do unless it's speculation because they really are good. They are like a bunch of James Bonds on matzo balls.

What Mossad does do is respond quickly and bring agility into the equation.

As far as successs - this is all from open sources. Other successes have not been reported to the public and will remain so

There is no threat at all, I think there is more risk to be killed by a meteor or by a lightning than by a terrorist attack. I'm in a touristic and crowded place with several americans and no one feels threatened, one of them even told me she felt safer here than in the USA.

She was humoring you, get a clue. :roll:

She was humoring you, get a clue. :roll:

Or maybe she just got a clue about statistics, compare the criminality rate of Northern Italy and Baltimore

Baltimore is hardly representative of the U.S. since it is one of the top ten most violent cities here. It's akin to St. Petersburg, maybe.

Baltimore is hardly representative of the U.S. since it is one of the top ten most violent cities here.

Baltimore and D.C. , now.

But don't forget the motor city.......

Baltimore is hardly representative of the U.S. since it is one of the top ten most violent cities here. It's akin to St. Petersburg, maybe.

I know it may not be representative, but she comes from there so...but my point was: don't pay too much attention to these "terror alerts":

from 2000 to 2010, maybe around 250 people got killed by terrorist attacks in Europe, 99% of them in two single attacks (london and madrid)...that's 25/year....

then, in the USA, around 100 people die each year because they're struck by a lightning...since Europe is more populated, I think around 160 or 180 Europeans die because of a lightning every year.

So you're 6 or 7 times more likely to be killed by a lightning than by a terrorist attack.

Last edited:
I know it may not be representative, but she comes from there so...but my point was: don't pay too much attention to these "terror alerts":

A friend of mine told me that these terror alerts are very similar to the ones that occurrred 2 weeks prior to 9/11.

A friend of mine told me that these terror alerts are very similar to the ones that occurrred 2 weeks prior to 9/11.

We have such "alerts" every week for 10 years, and no attack has occured in the USA since 2001 and in Europe since 2005...

We have such "alerts" every week for 10 years, and no attack has occured in the USA since 2001 and in Europe since 2005...

Those terror alerts were based on a trustworthy intelligenece, arrests were already done of some 11 terror suspects in France that have carried quite the armory with them.
The threat is real and the terrorists are planning a Mumbai-style attack in many different locations around Europe, including 5 known airports, the tour Eiffel site, and the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.
I don't think that the terror threat was already removed but it can be said that due to the fact that it was taken seriously a ****loads of lives were saved.

Those terror alerts were based on a trustworthy intelligenece, arrests were already done of some 11 terror suspects in France that have carried quite the armory with them.
The threat is real and the terrorists are planning a Mumbai-style attack in many different locations around Europe, including 5 known airports, the tour Eiffel site, and the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.
I don't think that the terror threat was already removed but it can be said that due to the fact that it was taken seriously a ****loads of lives were saved.

This is what I've heard, as well, that this was to be a very large action at multiple sites.

Back
Top Bottom