• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Japan court upholds sterilization to register gender change

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
[h=1]Japan court upholds sterilization to register gender change[/h]
[FONT=&quot]TOKYO — Human rights and LGBT activists on Friday denounced a ruling by Japan's Supreme Court upholding a law that effectively requires transgender people to be sterilized before they can have their gender changed on official documents.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The court said the law is constitutional because it was meant to reduce confusion in families and society. But it acknowledged that it restricts freedom and could become out of step with changing social values.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The 2004 law states that people wishing to register a gender change must have their original reproductive organs, including testes or ovaries, removed and have a body that "appears to have parts that resemble the genital organs" of the gender they want to register.[/FONT]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...er-gender-change/ar-BBSIV4a?OCID=ansmsnnews11

What's your opinion on this?

[FONT="][SIZE=2]TOKYO — Human rights and LGBT activists on Friday denounced a ruling by Japan's Supreme Court upholding a law that effectively requires transgender people to be sterilized before they can have their gender changed on official documents.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="][/FONT]

[FONT="][SIZE=2]The court said the law is constitutional because it was meant to reduce confusion in families and society. But it acknowledged that it restricts freedom and could become out of step with changing social values.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]The 2004 law states that people wishing to register a gender change must have their original reproductive organs, including testes or ovaries, removed and have a body that "appears to have parts that resemble the genital organs" of the gender they want to register.[/FONT]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...er-gender-change/ar-BBSIV4a?OCID=ansmsnnews11

seems ****ed up

Japan is one of only 2 first world countries I can think of that seem immune from criticism from most libs. I'm not sure why that is.

It's an issue legally because the government recognizes sex. Men can't legally give birth because there is no precedent.

what exactly is the problem?

Japan court upholds sterilization to register gender change

[FONT="][SIZE=2]TOKYO — Human rights and LGBT activists on Friday denounced a ruling by Japan's Supreme Court upholding a [/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=2][B]law that effectively requires transgender people to be sterilized before they can have their gender changed on official documents.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="]The court said the law is constitutional because it was meant to reduce confusion in families and society. But it acknowledged that it restricts freedom and could become out of step with changing social values.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The 2004 law states that people wishing to register a gender change must have their original reproductive organs, including testes or ovaries, removed and have a body that "appears to have parts that resemble the genital organs" of the gender they want to register.[/FONT]

Does Japan allow one to officially declare oneself (which is what I presume "register" means) as a different sex before one's had sex reassignment surgery? I don't know.

Red:
That's about the most ridiculous thing I've read in a "month of Sundays."
  • MTF transgender person --> No longer having a penis and testicles, how the hell is she supposed to impregnate someone?
  • FTM transgender person --> No longer having a vagina, just how is he supposed to become pregnant?
  • Sterilization doesn't reduce confusion. One's being sterile doesn't make it easier (or harder, for that matter) for anyone to tell whether one is a man or a woman.
If sterilization achieved all the things Japan's lawmakers allege it's intended to achieve, I might have a different POV.

Does Japan allow one to officially declare oneself (which is what I presume "register" means) as a different sex before one's had sex reassignment surgery? I don't know.

Red:
That's about the most ridiculous thing I've read in a "month of Sundays."
  • MTF transgender person --> No longer having a penis and testicles, how the hell is she supposed to impregnate someone?
  • FTM transgender person --> No longer having a vagina, just how is he supposed to become pregnant?
  • Sterilization doesn't reduce confusion. One's being sterile doesn't make it easier (or harder, for that matter) for anyone to tell whether one is a man or a woman.
If sterilization achieved all the things Japan's lawmakers allege it's intended to achieve, I might have a different POV.

Trans people don't have to have sex reassignment surgery.

[FONT="][SIZE=2]TOKYO — Human rights and LGBT activists on Friday denounced a ruling by Japan's Supreme Court upholding a law that effectively requires transgender people to be sterilized before they can have their gender changed on official documents.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="][SIZE=2]The court said the law is constitutional because it was meant to reduce confusion in families and society. But it acknowledged that it restricts freedom and could become out of step with changing social values.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]The 2004 law states that people wishing to register a gender change must have their original reproductive organs, including testes or ovaries, removed and have a body that "appears to have parts that resemble the genital organs" of the gender they want to register.[/FONT]

its a no brainer, i side with human rights on this of course, its a travesty to force sterilization.

Men don't give birth. Simple biology.

they apparently can now that the meaning of man has expanded to include altered females hence the law so what else you got?

they apparently can now that the meaning of man has expanded to include altered females hence the law so what else you got?

No they can't. expanding the meaning of the word man to mean the opposite of man is cognitive dissonance.

No they can't. expanding the meaning of the word man to mean the opposite of man is cognitive dissonance.

apparently they can now that the meaning of man has expanded to include altered females hence the law

i dont agree with that expansion especially if you dont have objective restrictions on what man or woman means

but if you're going to do that then female men can reproduce

and im not seeing how its right to forcibly prevent that

or what problems exactly that would cause

The whole thing is a bit confusing. It's not 'forcing sterilization' as much as it is forcing a person to have the genitalia of the gender they want on official documents. Of course this would result in someone being 'sterile' but if a person wants their gender changed legally, I would imagine you need to be that gender.

Usui, 45, appealed to the top court after he unsuccessfully requested that lower courts grant him legal recognition as male without having his female reproductive glands surgically removed.

If you want legal recognition as a male, then why shouldn't you have removed what essentially makes females a female?

apparently they can now that the meaning of man has expanded to include altered females hence the law

i dont agree with that expansion especially if you dont have objective restrictions on what man or woman means

but if you're going to do that then female men can reproduce

and im not seeing how its right to forcibly prevent that

or what problems exactly that would cause

What a ****ed up world

In Japan, can a trans person register a gender change without having had sex reassignment surgery?

How could it be a legal gender change without it?

How could it be a legal gender change without it?

I don't know. You tell me. That's why I asked the question.

I understand that one can be a trans person without that surgery, but I don't know that a government, in this case Japan's, would let a trans person alter his/her gender/sex registration prior to the person having sex reassignment surgery.

Perverts did not originally sign up for this.

its a no brainer, i side with human rights on this of course, its a travesty to force sterilization.

There is no forced sterilization in the ruling.

Part of the problem is that a full conversion is not required to alleviate GD. For some trans simply being able to present as their gender (vs sex) is enough to alleviate the condition. For others, top surgery is all that is required (removal or adding of the breasts). So simply noting that the full surgery would render them sterile doesn't address the problem.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Part of the problem is that a full conversion is not required to alleviate GD. For some trans simply being able to present as their gender (vs sex) is enough to alleviate the condition. For others, top surgery is all that is required (removal or adding of the breasts). So simply noting that the full surgery would render them sterile doesn't address the problem.

Red:
I didn't know that about GD. I presumed that progressing through the process to "full conversion" was the end state objective. To the extent that isn't so, GD's nature is made materially more byzantine. In any case, the banal concerns that some people express regarding individuals who experiences GD strike me as unfounded by, well, anything other than benighted fear and vulgar prejudice.

Red:
I didn't know that about GD. I presumed that progressing through the process to "full conversion" was the end state objective. To the extent that isn't so, GD's nature is made materially more byzantine. In any case, the banal concerns that some people express regarding individuals who experiences GD strike me as unfounded by, well, anything other than benighted fear and vulgar prejudice.

I’m sure it varies greatly from person to person.

Back
Top Bottom