• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Japan court upholds sterilization to register gender change

[h=1]Japan court upholds sterilization to register gender change[/h]
[FONT="][SIZE=2]TOKYO — Human rights and LGBT activists on Friday denounced a ruling by Japan's Supreme Court upholding a law that effectively requires transgender people to be sterilized before they can have their gender changed on official documents.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="][/FONT]

[FONT="][SIZE=2]The court said the law is constitutional because it was meant to reduce confusion in families and society. But it acknowledged that it restricts freedom and could become out of step with changing social values.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]The 2004 law states that people wishing to register a gender change must have their original reproductive organs, including testes or ovaries, removed and have a body that "appears to have parts that resemble the genital organs" of the gender they want to register.[/FONT]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...er-gender-change/ar-BBSIV4a?OCID=ansmsnnews11

What's your opinion on this?

This is clearly a massive overreach of the Japanese government.

There is no forced sterilization in the ruling.
technically no, thats correct nobody is coming door to door but the medical science community would disagree.
SOME people need to transition for their factual health/safety . . this ruling makes it so their health/safety cant be obtained without getting sterilized.
Thats a humans rights issue/violation id never support same reason why prochoice is supported by human rights. Its barbaric and luckily that will never happen in the US.

apparently they can now that the meaning of man has expanded to include altered females hence the law
no it hadn't, trans men are not men.

i dont agree with that expansion especially if you dont have objective restrictions on what man or woman means

but if you're going to do that then female men can reproduce

and im not seeing how its right to forcibly prevent that

or what problems exactly that would cause
Men cannot have babies if you have a baby you are not a man.

This is really simple.

Thank you for having the decency to just say so.

That's a far more respectable way to respond than is pretty much anything else one might say that doesn't directly answer the question.

Japan is one of only 2 first world countries I can think of that seem immune from criticism from most libs. I'm not sure why that is.

They are homogenous, so there is little dissent among their culture about what basic, common sense things mean. In the US, liberals would argue with you about whether the sky is blue.

no it hadn't, trans men are not men.

Men cannot have babies if you have a baby you are not a man.

This is really simple.

then why the forced sterilization?

It's an issue legally because the government recognizes sex. Men can't legally give birth because there is no precedent.

oh so you saying this was the japanese bull**** response instead of your own?

I don't know. You tell me. That's why I asked the question.

I understand that one can be a trans person without that surgery, but I don't know that a government, in this case Japan's, would let a trans person alter his/her gender/sex registration prior to the person having sex reassignment surgery.

They don't, which is the argument against the Japan's govt.

How is that? What requirements should there be in order to change your gender legally?

As I understand it they're not trying to change their gender legally that's not legally recognized they're trying to change their sex.

In every discussion about this I am told repeatedly how sex and gender are two different things.

As I understand it they're not trying to change their gender legally that's not legally recognized they're trying to change their sex.

In every discussion about this I am told repeatedly how sex and gender are two different things.

Huh? How are they different? When asked what sex are you, or what gender are you, isn't the answer the same?

Huh? How are they different? When asked what sex are you, or what gender are you, isn't the answer the same?
No, not anymore. Although we, as a whole, used to believe they were one in the same, and indeed, with about the same frequency of being right handed or heterosexual, sex and gender will match. Sex is the physical body that you are born with, and what will, usually, match your DNA. Gender is the identity you have, that inner vision of yourself. It's an inherent trait, much like many others we have. Whether it is learned, pure DNA or some combination of other factors is still not know.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Well it's odd that it seems like they're the same thing in Japan. Or in the United States when it comes to identification, but nowhere else.

How is that? What requirements should there be in order to change your gender legally?

Pretty happy with the current system in most states. Do you have any specific problems with the current system?

Sounds like eugenics to me. They don't want trans people reproducing and messing up the traditional family order in Japan - which, by the way, is very formal. Even being a single mother there is seen as totally shameful.

Some trans people get their sperm or eggs stored before sex change surgery so they could theoretically have children if they ever wanted to. Under Japan's law that would not be possible.

This is clearly a massive overreach of the Japanese government.

In general i totally agree! but i have no idea how japan works in this regard, this might be exactly what they do and regulate.

For anybody that believes in legal rights like those in the US or in human rights, yes its a massive overreach

No, not anymore. Although we, as a whole, used to believe they were one in the same, and indeed, with about the same frequency of being right handed or heterosexual, sex and gender will match. Sex is the physical body that you are born with, and what will, usually, match your DNA. Gender is the identity you have, that inner vision of yourself. It's an inherent trait, much like many others we have. Whether it is learned, pure DNA or some combination of other factors is still not know.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

never going to accept this identity stuff if both sexes can do the same things and only the individual gets to decide what label fits them then you have reduced gender to an empty tautology where knowing someone is a man or a woman means you have not learned anything about them other then they call themself a man or a woman and both words become synonymous with 1 another

that only removes identity

forcing sterilization to let people of one sex use the other label still seems like some pointless evil bull**** thought

Japan is one of only 2 first world countries I can think of that seem immune from criticism from most libs. I'm not sure why that is.

The government is almost entirely made up of men over 65. It's Fox News' wet dream.

Back
Top Bottom