• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

January 6 defendant: "Trump made me do it."

Buckeyes85

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The 3rd defendant to face a jury trial re: January 6 is taking a unique defense approach. Claiming that after becoming unemployed during the pandemic, he dove down a rabbit whole of internet conspiracies, including Trump's lies about a stolen election. And that Trump is ultimately to blame for him invading the capitol, stealing a coat rack and bottle of liquor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=4749142ceb894a45b803f3b77dc05d47

I'm embarrassed to admit not only is this idiot from my home state of Ohio, but he has a degree from my alma mater, The Ohio State University. Uggh.

As much as I blame Trump for firing up all these idiots with his lies about a stolen election, ultimately those who broke the law on 1/6 are to blame for their actions. So this defense I suspect will be an epic failure.

Trump did not make him do it. Did Trump encourage people to show up and fight?

"We fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.”
“We want to go back, and we want to get this right because we’re going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed, and we’re not going to stand for that.”

You decide.

"We fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.”
“We want to go back, and we want to get this right because we’re going to have somebody in there that should not be in there and our country will be destroyed, and we’re not going to stand for that.”

You decide.
I'm certainly aware of what Trump said, and acknowledged that he had spent months firing up these morons with his fabrications. But at the end of the day, these folks are responsible for their actions.
The only way this goes back to Trump is if there is some evidence of a conspiracy involving him to orchestrate the January 6 capital invasion. And there is no evidence I am aware of to suggest that. The attack on our capitol was too chaotic to be the handiwork of a large plan. And yes, I am aware there were plans by smaller groups- but not the masses.

The 3rd defendant to face a jury trial re: January 6 is taking a unique defense approach. Claiming that after becoming unemployed during the pandemic, he dove down a rabbit whole of internet conspiracies, including Trump's lies about a stolen election. And that Trump is ultimately to blame for him invading the capitol, stealing a coat rack and bottle of liquor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=4749142ceb894a45b803f3b77dc05d47

I'm embarrassed to admit not only is this idiot from my home state of Ohio, but he has a degree from my alma mater, The Ohio State University. Uggh.

As much as I blame Trump for firing up all these idiots with his lies about a stolen election, ultimately those who broke the law on 1/6 are to blame for their actions. So this defense I suspect will be an epic failure.

When the president of the United States is lying to disrupt normal government functioning, he needs to be held reaponsible for the consequences. He was using these deplorable and pathetic people as pawns. To excuse Trump for such shameless, brazen, and dangerous lying and rabble rousing will be setting an extremely dangerous precedent going forward.

I'm certainly aware of what Trump said, and acknowledged that he had spent months firing up these morons with his fabrications. But at the end of the day, these folks are responsible for their actions.
The only way this goes back to Trump is if there is some evidence of a conspiracy involving him to orchestrate the January 6 capital invasion. And there is no evidence I am aware of to suggest that. The attack on our capitol was too chaotic to be the handiwork of a large plan. And yes, I am aware there were plans by smaller groups- but not the masses.
As I said, Trump did not make him do it. But would they have marched and invaded the capitol building without Trump's words at the rally?
You decide.

As I said, Trump did not make him do it. But would they have marched and invaded the capitol building without Trump's words at the rally?
You decide.
Well, they all planned to come that day prior to Trump's remarks. And I believe a large number were actually at the Capitol protesting when Trump spoke. Not all of them were at his speech and then marched to the capitol. Moreover, "would X have done Y if Z had not said what they said" is not a valid legal defense. But it's a given none of them would have even been at the capitol that day if but for months of Trump and his merry band of idiots touting stolen election conspiracy theories.

The cult embarrasses itself all the time.

Jim Jones made his devotees guzzle poisoned flavored drinks. The cult members do things because Trump made them do it.

I agree with you that his assessment of the situation and his conclusions are insane.

This is the way I look at it. You can absolve all the idiots who stormed the capitol in exchange for prosecuting Trump and his allies for the coup attempt.

Someone's got to pay here, and so far it looks like the ground soldiers alone are paying.

You decide.
The prosecution should ask them in court if they felt incited by Donald Trump's words at his rally on January 6th, 2021. What better way to build the case of Trump Inciting to Riot/Inciting an Insurrection than to have the incited testify to that in court.

I agree with you that his assessment of the situation and his conclusions are insane.
So then, were Trump's conclusions that the election was stolen, that the electoral vote certification should be delayed, and that his loyal followers should fight like hell to keep him in power also insane?

Last edited:
Trump never takes responsibility, there's no reason to expect his worshippers to do it.

Self-responsibility - another conservative principle perverted by Trumpism.

Funny how these guys were their heroes on January 6th, but now that they are blaming the dear leader Trump his die-hard bootlickers are calling them insane. :rolleyes:

The cult embarrasses itself all the time.

Jim Jones made his devotees guzzle poisoned flavored drinks. The cult members do things because Trump made them do it.
He told them to do it, they made the decision themselves. They also made the decision to join a cult as it agreed with their thinking. Look at how many people in this country died of covid because they listened and did not get the vaccine or masks. If you think that Trump is totally responsible for the actions of people on January 6th, then you have to say that those who said not to get the shots or wear masks are guilty of the deaths of so many.

Not surprisingly, the defense of Trump made me do it did not work and this defendant was convicted.

However, at the close of trial, the judge confirmed what most of the world already knows: that Trump is a charlatan and a threat to democracy.

Notably, this judge was appointed by George Bush.

Not surprisingly, the defense of Trump made me do it did not work and this defendant was convicted.

However, at the close of trial, the judge confirmed what most of the world already knows: that Trump is a charlatan and a threat to democracy.

Notably, this judge was appointed by George Bush.
Of course, Real Conservatives (TM) know that the Bush family are just slaves to the Deep State.

/s

You decide.
At minimum, Trumps rhetoric was negligent and the match that lit the flame of this dumpster fire.

This is the way I look at it. You can absolve all the idiots who stormed the capitol in exchange for prosecuting Trump and his allies for the coup attempt.

Someone's got to pay here, and so far it looks like the ground soldiers alone are paying.

Is there anything that annoys you that you do not find a way to attach to Trump?

So then, were Trump's conclusions that the election was stolen, that the electoral vote certification should be delayed, and that his loyal followers should fight like hell to keep him in power also insane?

As I've posted here many times, I feel that the ballots cast were counted accurately.

I also feel that the possibility that many of the ballots cast were illegitimate is well within the realm of possibility.

Also that the media, both social and legacy, distorted news reporting and selectively amplified and silenced information with a goal to benefit Biden's campaign.

We now see the outcome of these various intersecting dishonesties.

The candidate that received the most votes of any person, issue, idea, proposition or referendum in the history of mankind was Joe Biden and Biden is a feckless moron with no wisdom or honesty.

His record, across decades, reveals that he has always been a feckless moron with no wisdom or honesty.

I have heard that people in democracies get the government they deserve.

It's tragic that we deserve this.

A moron, one should add, who would’ve been lucky to get Hilary’s popular vote had it not been for the Chinese Gift that keeps on giving.

Is there anything that annoys you that you do not find a way to attach to Trump?
Sure. Stuff that has nothing to do with Trump. The insurrection and everything associated with it and leading up to it has Trumps fingerprints all over it. Trump is the main fomenter.

No Trump, no capitol attack. He needs to be held accountable, period.

Sure. Stuff that has nothing to do with Trump. The insurrection and everything associated with it and leading up to it has Trumps fingerprints all over it. Trump is the main fomenter.

No Trump, no capitol attack. He needs to be held accountable, period.

No suppressed information, biased reporting, outright lies in the media and fair and honest reporting instead of the unethical tripe we got and Trump wins in a land slide.

Sounds like the problem actually traces back to all of the social media platforms and the propagandistic liars of the Legacy media.

Trump only happened to have been standing in the road when they drove their steam roller past.

Back
Top Bottom