• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching

The testimony of these police officers is riveting and emotional. I can see why Trump supporters would not watch any of the hearings. One can't rationally hold on to a lie when faced with the truth.

100% disagree, they can, and will.
Evidence? See this very thread.

That nobody has been charged with insurrection and/or sedition does not mean that nobody could be charged with insurrection and/or sedition.

Prosecutors have the discretion to charge or not charge people with crimes even when guilt of crimes is obvious.
And the fact that in the investigation and prosecution of over 500 defendants, the prosecutors have chosen not to charge a single person with "insurrection" or "sedition" shows your use of those legal terms is simply hyperbolic partisanship and not based in the law. Just saying.

Obviously true. Equally obvious is that posting ignorantly in this forum further degrades your credibility.
I suppose that would only matter if your opinion did.

There are a myriad of reasons beyond criminal prosecution for this investigation, so the question doesn't appear serious. First, no agency is responsible for gathering all the information - the committee can do so. Second, there are procedural questions that may require legislation to address (who is responsible for security?; how is the military/NG involved?; how should it be funded?; what training should be required?). Third, there may be aspects of criminal liability that go beyond the insurrectionists themselves. Who funded it? Was there political coordination? Did members of Congress or their staff assist?

I could go on at length, but that's enough to make the point. It's why Congress has investigatory authority.

It's clear from the videos of the event that it was organized and perpetuated by a bunch of loosely gathered, redneck goobers. The security and capitol police have never been historically prepared for being overrun by a rioting crowd. A rare event. They obviously need better protection, especially during highly charged events like elections.

Trump may have initially spurred the demonstration on but soon retracted any involvement in the insurrection attempt. I'll be shocked if they tie anything directly to him.

This whole thing seems like more political demonization than a serious attempt to address the actual cause, which is intense division. Political committees are usually nothing more than toothless, dog & pony shows with politicians posturing for exposure and promoting party-line rhetoric.

Typical. Blaming the victims.
Not so. @Lutherf's comment was specific about the witnesses and their apparent 'staged' presentation. Nothing about 'blame the victims'.
Not that I didn't expect it, but the 180 Trumpers can do regarding Law and Order could win a gold medal.

What your crew tend to forget is the motive from this crime. It was political. Jan. 6. That date is important. It's what makes this act terror.
There you go again, exaggerating and engaging in hyperbole.
1/6 was a riot, same as all the 700+ ones the previous year, the only difference between them is from which political perspective those riots came from, and this is why you heap your exaggerating and hyperbole for the 1/6 rioters.
Get your facts straight, and stop using your emotional desire for this NOT to be true. It is true. This officer wasn't hand picked, he was there during the attack. That is why he's testifying. All of them were there.
That they were there is not in dispute.
Trumps about-face.

“For years and years, [laws have] been made to protect the criminal,” Trump said. “Totally protect the criminal, not the officers. You do something wrong, you’re in more jeopardy than they are. These laws are stacked against you. We’re changing those laws.”https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-police-brutality_n_597b840fe4b02a8434b6575a

Now, this........

Former president Donald Trump on Wednesday declared that a police officer defending lawmakers and the Capitol on Jan. 6 had “no reason” to shoot an individual involved in the attack and echoed calls from the far right for the officer to be publicly named.https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-jan-6-rioter-ashli-babbitt/2021/07/07/77dad506-df41-11eb-9f54-7eee10b5fcd2_story.html

Trumps base could win medals for their ability to do one eighties.

Day one was summary of what the Capitol police experienced that day in their own words.

We learned the Capitol police were overwhelmed and many are still not recover from the physical and mental trauma. They were protecting people half of whom are berating and blaming them instead of thanking them for their protection. The GOP always needs a scapegoat. Why they wouldn’t meet or acknowledge the Capitol police is beyond me. I learned the GOP are looking more guilty every day. We will se what future days bring.

Why did these members refuse to honor them?
Hundreds of members of Congress have put up signs with the message “Thank You U.S. Capitol Police #heroes” in the months since the Jan. 6 attack, conveying their gratitude toward the men and women who protected them and their staff that day. Nearly all of those members voted to award the Capitol Police the Congressional Gold Medal—just as all Democrats and 188 Republicans did.

But 21 Republicans thought otherwise. And among that group, 12 of them displayed pro-police signs outside their offices, according to a Daily Beast review: Reps. Michael Cloud (R-TX), Andrew Clyde (R-GA), Ralph Norman (R-SC), Chip Roy (R-TX), Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), Matt Rosendale (R-MT), Bob Good (R-VA), Barry Moore (R-AL), Mary Miller (R-IL), Lauren Boebert (R-CO), Warren Davidson (R-OH), and Scott Perry (R-PA).

In other words, nothing new here. You confirmed what I have have already noted, that the "testimony" was informationally worthless stagecraft, a bit of theater for scoring political points. Your meaningless gushing of anguish and vacuous accusations like "the GOP needs a scapegoat" and "learning the GOP are looking more guilty every day" is little more than unsupported character assassination NOT INFORMATION AS TO HOW AND WHY THIS HAPPENED.

It's an old ploy, one that is used by every unethical prosecution in the country (e.g. using a nine year old to tear up on the stand in the George Floyd trial).

Even if you hate Republicans, you shouldn't be THAT gullible.

Ever heard Maxime Waters say get their faces, stay on the streets, and other things like that during the Portland riots?
Yes and I heard F*cker Carlson say get in people’s faces for wearing a mask during a pandemic. Neither one of those things were a threat to our democracy like the terrorist attack on our nations capitol! You guys sound like nazis that defended hitler.

And the fact that in the investigation and prosecution of over 500 defendants, the prosecutors have chosen not to charge a single person with "insurrection" or "sedition" shows your use of those legal terms is simply hyperbolic partisanship and not based in the law. Just saying.

The investigation isn’t over.

Did the Capitol Police disappoint you yesterday? Were I a Trump supporter, I would have been disappointed to hear how my fellow Trump supporters beat and brutalized those officers. Or are you happy that they were mocked afterwards by "conservative pundits".
I wasn't disappointed, but it did confirm that this so called 'investigation' is little more than political Kabuki theater for political aims, and nothing to do with either a search for the truth nor what to do to better prepare those policemen in future similar circumstances. Exactly what I suspected that the Democrats have turned this into, political Kabuki theater for political aims, same as their impeachment #1 and impeachment #2.

In other words, nothing new here. You confirmed what I have have already noted, that the "testimony" was informationally worthless stagecraft, a bit of theater for scoring political points. Your meaningless gushing of anguish and vacuous accusations like "the GOP needs a scapegoat" and "learning the GOP are looking more guilty every day" is little more than unsupported character assassination NOT INFORMATION AS TO HOW AND WHY THIS HAPPENED.

It's an old ploy, one that is used by every unethical prosecution in the country (e.g. using a nine year old to tear up on the stand in the George Floyd trial).

Even if you hate Republicans, you shouldn't be THAT gullible.

Day One! Actual testimony of how Capitol police were treated by the loving crowd.

Let’s proceed with future testimony and withhold judgement until we hear it.

I wasn't disappointed, but it did confirm that this so called 'investigation' is little more than political Kabuki theater for political aims, and nothing to do with either a search for the truth nor what to do to better prepare those policemen in future similar circumstances. Exactly what I suspected that the Democrats have turned this into, political Kabuki theater for political aims, same as their impeachment #1 and impeachment #2.
I'd be curious to know who wrote those speeches for them.

Avoid it? Avoid what?
Well we'll find out won't we. We will find out the real reason they don't want this investigation. The real reasons they are whitewashing the Jan. 6th attack.

We will find out why the Law and Order party has suddenly turned 180 degrees with no explanation but, hey, lets move on.

This investigation is to find out who was involved, and how to prevent it from happening again. Why do you have a problem with it if you believe there is nothing hidden? Do you want it to happen again? Donald seems to be encouraging another round of unrest as I type this. So are the GOP leaders who are out promoting stop the steal with any means necessary. Take back Trumps presidency. It doesn't seem any of you have gotten the message, so that is why this investigation is very necessary.

This is our election process, the very fabric of our government. If you don't know this is a big deal, then you're wrong. It's not your opinion over mine. You're just wrong. Really wrong.

Not so. @Lutherf's comment was specific about the witnesses and their apparent 'staged' presentation. Nothing about 'blame the victims'.

There you go again, exaggerating and engaging in hyperbole.
1/6 was a riot, same as all the 700+ ones the previous year, the only difference between them is from which political perspective those riots came from, and this is why you heap your exaggerating and hyperbole for the 1/6 rioters.

That they were there is not in dispute.
You're wrong. All of what you said is wrong.

It's not the same as anything that's involved violence in the past that you've mentioned. You really need to learn why this is different to spare yourself from being wrong consistently.

I know the truth hurts. I wouldn't want to talk about either if I were you.

Really? Not even close bud.

Why did those Trumpers pick Jan. 6th? To stop our election process. To-----stop-----our-----election-----process. Let the difference set in. ^^^^This makes a huge difference.

Or do you mean this, because this is more comparable to what happened at the Capital and it did happen in Oregon......

A distinction without a difference. Violence is violence. Attacks on government or personal property are attacks on government or personal property.

You're wrong. All of what you said is wrong.
So this response of yours is little more than:
1627493550610.png
OK.
It's not the same as anything that's involved violence in the past that you've mentioned. You really need to learn why this is different to spare yourself from being wrong consistently.
What I do know is that it isn't the exaggerated hyperbole that you continue to claim that it is.

I guess the obvious question is: So what?

I know the truth hurts. I wouldn't want to talk about either if I were you.
The truth is, and it hurts - yes, is that this 'commission' which is alleged to be 'investigating' the events of 1/6 are little more than the political Kabuki theater by the Democrats for political advantage and has no intention of searching for the truth and no intention for preventing similar circumstances the Capitol police found themselves in.

The that hurts is that this is the same sort of political theater with which the Democrats conducted impeachment #1 and impeachment #2.

But it is already political. The head of a national party tried to seize power for himself. On that day, and many others as well. His political party leadership continues to act as though this never happened.

To argue that it is only political now is extremely disingenuous.

Further supports that this is little more than political Kabuki theater the democrats are conducting for political advantage. 🤷‍♂️

How can the Dems turn this to a political advantage?

Back
Top Bottom