• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jan. 6 panel asks GOP lawmaker to testify about Capitol tour

As long as the Democrats are in control of the House and believe it to be a political advantage to them.
That is a two way street my friend, or have you forgotten how Republicans have behaved when they were searching and searching for dirt on Democrats et al when they were last in power?
Nope. See comment above.
Once more, that is a two way street my friend, or have you forgotten how Republicans have behaved when they were searching and searching for dirt on Democrats et al when they were last in power?
Pelosi's J6 Select Committee was never about finding the truth (other than their demanded political truth) nor to put into place measures to prevent similar in the future, it was intended designed for nothing more than to baselessly smear any differing political opinions and positions other than their own as insurrectionists, a dire threat to democracy suitable for DOJ classification as domestic terrorists and persecuted as such, when the reality is that the J6 riot which got out of hand, no more so than the so called 'mostly peaceful arsonists in previous riots which got out of control, for perceived political advantage. All that makes the J6 'Select Committee' little more than politically driven political Kabuki theater for the willful political propagandists accomplices media's cameras. A charade.
All that is seeming pure partisan biased ranting but is definitely arguable.

You do realize the members of the committee have other duties within the congress. They have interviewed nearly 1000 witnesses. They have had many, many people refuse their subpoenas and wind up in court. I can't imagine how they could be moving any faster unless the non-cooperators were cooperating.

And the bi-partisan commission would have been wrapped up last December if not for the republican obstruction. And it would have gone way better for the republicans.
I realize all of that. I have been loosely following the progress. I know they are hearing from witness after witness. What I don't see is any useful or substantial product?

Things get very dangerous when we start pointing fingers and trying to link up events as cause and effect. Reminds me of the sentiment behind the Salem witch trials.
And there's that inevitable whiney conservative victim card.

I realize all of that. I have been loosely following the progress. I know they are hearing from witness after witness. What I don't see is any useful or substantial product?

Thry have revealed quite a bit. In this thread alone, they have revealed that Republicans lied about having visitors to the Capitol the day before the insurrection. That is rather incredible.

The final product will probably come through the public hearings next month.

That is a two way street my friend, or have you forgotten how Republicans have behaved when they were searching and searching for dirt on Democrats et al when they were last in power?

Once more, that is a two way street my friend, or have you forgotten how Republicans have behaved when they were searching and searching for dirt on Democrats et al when they were last in power?
Might be interesting to compare notes on a few of these instances.

While I am in favor of Senate and House committees' oversight of the executive branch, my support falls when it's done for political purposes, which isn't what I'd call proper oversight.

I further dislike the 'grandstanding' in committee for the cameras that so many legislators seem to fall into, rather than asking specific prosecutorial like and level, well thought out and prepared questions which need to cut through all the BS of the typical committee testimony and gets to the heart of the topics and questions at hand, which is part of proper oversight.

All that is seeming pure partisan biased ranting but is definitely arguable.

Big one here! The guy who held the virtual map, recon tour, for the invaders to learn where and how to infiltrate and maneuver, even as sloppy in which it went down in real time.

View attachment 67391746
Rep. Barry Loudermilk of Georgia is the latest GOP lawmaker to be asked to cooperate with the House select committee probing the violence that took place on Jan. 6, 2021.

“Based on our review of evidence in the Select Committee’s possession, we believe you have information regarding a tour you led through parts of the Capitol complex on January 5, 2021,“ Reps Bennie Thompson and Liz Cheney, the chairman and vice-chairwoman of the committee, said in a letter Thursday.

"Public reporting and witness accounts indicate some individuals and groups engaged in efforts to gather information about the layout of the U.S. Capitol, as well as the House and Senate office buildings, in advance of January 6, 2021," they wrote.
Why do we "ask" these people? Why not order them to come in?

Might be interesting to compare notes on a few of these instances.

While I am in favor of Senate and House committees' oversight of the executive branch, my support falls when it's done for political purposes, which isn't what I'd call proper oversight.

I further dislike the 'grandstanding' in committee for the cameras that so many legislators seem to fall into, rather than asking specific prosecutorial like and level, well thought out and prepared questions which need to cut through all the BS of the typical committee testimony and gets to the heart of the topics and questions at hand, which is part of proper oversight.
See, there is very much in that which coincides with my thinking as well!

It's purpose is to damage Trump
The FBI Warned Congress of Right-Wing Violence Before Jan. 6. Capitol  Police Leaders Never Saw the Report. – Mother Jones

Opinion | The Jan. 6 Capitol attack was, in fact, a violent insurrection -  The Washington Post

The FBI Received Highly Specific Tips About Violence Set for Jan. 6—But  Declined to Act – Mother Jones

That is 10 to 12 months way too long!
It's better than arresting them all and then investigating, though, isn't it? Prosecutions take time. Justice takes time.

The pendulum swings.
Yes, they don't always look much ahead. How if Republicans take the House, the committee will be controlled by Republicans. I'm sure they will continue to support it, LOL!

It's better than arresting them all and then investigating, though, isn't it? Prosecutions take time. Justice takes time.
For some.

Ah, pictures. Funny how the leftists can't help responding, when they have no response. Pictures, memes, insults, etc..

I have a confession. I have a LOT of people on ignore, which made it hard to follow this thread. I un-muted them to go through this thread, and I got to laughing so hard I had to stop.

I don't think the utter ridiculousness of their posts even occur to them. It's just rote partisan crap, and, worse, I think some of them actually believe that silliness. God it's funny, and no, I'm not laughing with you...

Yes.

I believe there is always common ground, just sometimes we have to dance around a bit, too much at times, to find it!
Yeah, that sure seems to be the case quite often.

Ah, pictures. Funny how the leftists can't help responding, when they have no response. Pictures, memes, insults, etc..
don't you just love that shit???
no one gives a shit...
here is a new picture for your collection...
there is some writing on it, but it is not for you...
you are not expected to understand it... okaaaaaaay...
-peace
1653230033506.png

Arresting someone and then investigating is the order of activities.

Normally it is:
  1. Determine if a crime has been committed, and if so
  2. Investigate the crime to determine who committed it
  3. Arrest, charge, and then a criminal trial
This whole idea of 'Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime' is distinctly Soviet, and doesn't belong in the US criminal justice system.

Let me know when the J6 political circus has elevated their integrity to actually ask about this and even more actually does anything about it.
You, I and millions of other folks will need to wait until the 1/6 Committee's final report comes out to read if additional information aside from the Senate's June report is revealed. Until then, the 1/6 Committee's blue team has quietly been working on the security failures at the Capitol on 1/6/21.

The documents, committee aides and other officials familiar with them say, shed new light on questions that have been only partly answered so far, including what intelligence came into the FBI, DHS and other agencies in the weeks before Jan. 6, why no formal bulletin was issued and why more wasn’t done to make sure the Capitol Police understood and were prepared for the gravity of the threat.

The blue team, working behind the scenes, has a different focus: to provide what may be the only detailed appraisal of why the government failed to anticipate and stop the coordinated violence that sent federal lawmakers scrambling to safety in their own building.

The June Senate report criticized the Capitol Police for failing to act on threat information and circulate relevant intelligence. But the report had less to say about the FBI and DHS, in part because they hadn’t yet fully responded to requests for documents, officials said.

Arresting someone and then investigating is the order of activities.

Normally it is:
  1. Determine if a crime has been committed, and if so
  2. Investigate the crime to determine who committed it
  3. Arrest, charge, and then a criminal trial
This whole idea of 'Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime' is distinctly Soviet, and doesn't belong in the US criminal justice system.
I would actually agree with this, if there was the slightest indication that you actually believed it. But years of evidence demonstrates that the entire opposite is true. In thread after thread after thread you will willingly throw anyone you dislike under the bus without a scintilla of evidence, and then bray, obfuscate and object whenever it is one of your preferred oxes being gored, even when there is a plethora of publicly available, irrefutable evidence. Don't you realize how patently obvious you are? It is deliciously hilarious. Good day!

Back
Top Bottom