• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

James O'Keefe did a good thing

Chillfolks

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/...nstitutional-in-massachusetts?template=ampart

A federal judge has ruled that a Massachusetts law banning secret audio recordings of police or government officials is unconstitutional.

This is a landmark 1at amendment case. Soon other states that have laws limiting the recording of police and government officials should see those laws challenged. It all comes from a Project Veritas court case, I don't usually agree with Okeefe but in this case I support their effort. Is there anyone here against this ruling and feels police and government officials should have special protections against filming or recording them?

https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/...nstitutional-in-massachusetts?template=ampart

This is a landmark 1at amendment case. Soon other states that have laws limiting the recording of police and government officials should see those laws challenged. It all comes from a Project Veritas court case, I don't usually agree with Okeefe but in this case I support their effort. Is there anyone here against this ruling and feels police and government officials should have special protections against filming or recording them?

I'm kinda torn on it, from many angles. I'll expand later, I gotta crash.

Funny how most of the major media isn't reporting this. And the ones that do have only a small blurb on it. At least from what I could find.

Funny how most of the major media isn't reporting this. And the ones that do have only a small blurb on it. At least from what I could find.

Do you think it's because they disagree with the ruling or because not a good thing James Okeefe did and they can't bring themselves to congratulate the other side

Do you think it's because they disagree with the ruling or because not a good thing James Okeefe did and they can't bring themselves to congratulate the other side

Who knows. Even Fox is silent on it. And why they'd disagree with the ruling I have no idea. It is actually going to make their job easier knowing that they can record government agents without them knowing about it. They won't have to worry about the law anymore.

Just FYI...it's not just O'Keefe:

The judge made the ruling on two cases, one involving residents who frequently record police and another brought by the conservative activist group Project Veritas. . . Court records show neither defendant had conducted secret recordings of police, but they feared recording openly would "endanger their safety" and "provoke hostility." The court said the Boston Police Department previously instructed officers to make arrests under the law.

So, this must've been a suit for declaratory judgment. Sounds like they filed separately. Saris is a district court judge unless something happened recently (the 1st Cir. also hears argument in that courthouse), so this is likely far from over. I suspect this is the kind of case the 1st Cir. might want to have a say in. But who knows...maybe they'll let it sit.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to record government agents with the power of life and death over them?

Wasn't your lean "very conservative" before? Why do so many on the right who otherwise balk at government authority/negligence always go to bat for the police. They're government agents. And of all people - of ALL government workers you would want to behave properly - aren't the police at or near the top of the list?

We can also flip around one of their angles: if they aren't hiding something, what are they scared of?

I mean...businesses can monitor employees at work. Email, phone, camera. The public employs government agents. :shrug:

Why shouldn't people be allowed to record government agents with the power of life and death over them?

Wasn't your lean "very conservative" before? Why do so many on the right who otherwise balk at government authority/negligence always go to bat for the police. They're government agents. And of all people - of ALL government workers you would want to behave properly - aren't the police at or near the top of the list?

We can also flip around one of their angles: if they aren't hiding something, what are they scared of?

I mean...businesses can monitor employees at work. Email, phone, camera. The public employs government agents. :shrug:

Ummm I think you've misunderstood me. I am all for citizens recording police and goverment officials.

Back
Top Bottom