• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

James Mattis steps down as secretary of defense, cites differing views with Trump

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/jam...retary-of-defense-in-february-trump-says.html

Defense Secretary James Mattis will be retiring at the end of February, President Trump says in a pair of tweets.

In a letter addressed to Trump, Mattis said that "because you have a right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours" on a number of subjects, "I believe it is right for me to step down from my position."

Neither the White House nor The Penta
More bad decisions by Trump led to this
Syria along with many others comes to mind

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/jam...retary-of-defense-in-february-trump-says.html

More bad decisions by Trump led to this
Syria along with many others comes to mind

From his resignation letter:
"Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position."

Damn... he can’t stay on the trump train any longer. Good for Mattis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trump is inching closer and closer to impeachment. At some point even the Senate will realize that he is unstable and capable of destroying what is left of the Western Alliance. This is getting scary folks.

I don't like that the military top brass are all together not happy with Trump's recent decisions, this among them. Mattis will leave large shoes to fill.

Last edited:
Trump has continued the series of bad Iraq-Syria decisions begun by Obama. Six years of bad choices costing too many lives and wasting too many opportunities.

U.S. Withdrawal From Syria Is a Risky Mistake
David Ignatius, Washington Post

It's time to cut the cord over there.
We only have 2,000 troops over there so not that much of a big deal.
Mattis was very respectful when giving his resignation. I can't fault him for wanting to leave.

We only have 2,000 troops over there so that much of a big deal.
Mattis was very respectful when giving his resignation. I can't fault him for wanting to leave.

Who do you fault for him wanting to leave?

:lol:

another-one-gone-and-another-one-gone-another-one-bites-the-dust.jpg

Now he can enjoy that sweet Theranos money. Oh wait...

Clearly Mattis isn’t retiring as POTUS stated. He’s resigning and the letter makes it clear that the reason is that he and POTUS do not see eye to eye.

It would seem that Syria was the straw the broke Mattis’ back.

I didn't think Gen. James "Chaos" Mattis could put up with Commander ChickenSpurs for very long.

But to his credit, he surprised me and suffered that fool for longer than I imagined he would.

We lost, in fact we not just lost we got humiliated....so it is time to leave...that is what losers do.

So much winning... MAGA on, I'm sure Hannity will prodide you some new material tonight.:roll:

Clearly Mattis isn’t retiring as POTUS stated. He’s resigning and the letter makes it clear that the reason is that he and POTUS do not see eye to eye.

It would seem that Syria was the straw the broke Mattis’ back.

That much seems perfectly clear. This came not even 24 hours after Trump announced the troop withdrawal from Syria.

We only have 2,000 troops over there so not that much of a big deal.

I have no trouble with Mattis. Trump is continued our streak of bad decisions.

Trump is inching closer and closer to impeachment. At some point even the Senate will realize that he is unstable and capable of destroying what is left of the Western Alliance. This is getting scary folks.

Bring back the draft, send legions of privileged liberals (the ones who dream of working for Google) to take on jihadist movements all over the planet, and then maybe it won't seem so scary.

Learn to read.

That's funny for somebody who writes for with a literal 4.

Anyway, who do you fault for Mattis wanting to leave if not Mattis?

Go on, you can tell us.

:)

The executive branch is in complete and utter collapse right now.

MAGA chuds:

ae6

Lord have mercy on this nation. This is proving to be a train wreck unfolding in slo-mo of epic proportions. We were able to recover from the economic and geopolitical damage from W. It took us about 8 years, but it was repairable. This, I am afraid, both in terms of international reputation, credibility, and standing, as well as economically, may be some irreversible damage.

Oh well. It's a democracy and people deserve to get what they want.

"Democracy is the theory that the common knows what is good for him, and he deserves to get it good and hard."
-HL Mencken

Pretty much dead-on:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1075884851851616256

Julia Davis@JuliaDavisNews

The Kremlin: Get out of Syria.
Trump: OK.
The Kremlin: You've been in Afghanistan for far too long.
Trump: On our way out.
Russian state TV: Your poor Secretary of Defense is struggling to keep up.
Trump: Mattis is stepping down.

2:45 PM - 20 Dec 2018

Back
Top Bottom