• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jamaal Bowman unseats long-time congressman Eliot Engel in a major upset in New York's 16th Congress

Surrealistik

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
New York Primary Election Results: 16th Congressional District - The New York Times

Jamaal Bowman defeats Eliot Engel New York'''s 16th District: results - Business Insider

New York Times said:
Eliot Engel faces one of the stiffest challenges of his decades-long career as Jamaal Bowman rides a wave of progressive support. Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi lined up behind Mr. Engel, while Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders backed Mr. Bowman.

Grace Panetta said:
Rep. Eliot Engel, who has served in Congress since 1989 and chairs the powerful House Foreign Relations Committee, lost his seat in a stunning upset from Jamaal Bowman, a former middle school principal in the Bronx and first-time political candidate running as a progressive reformer on a platform of increasing investment in education, healthcare, and green energy.

The current 16th District that Engel represents includes parts of the Bronx and Westchester County, including the suburbs of Yonkers, Scarsdale, and New Rochelle.

Engel's troubles started mounting this spring after The Atlantic caught him and his aides contradicting each other about where Engel had been during the COVID-19 pandemic.

While Engel told the outlet he had quarantined "in both places," his spokeswoman told The Atlantic that he had entirely ridden out the pandemic at his residence in Maryland and hadn't set foot in his district — which was one of the hardest hit by the pandemic — at all.

Then, at a news conference dedicated to racism and police brutality in the Bronx, Engel pleaded with Bronx borough president Ruben Díaz Jr. to speak when he hadn't previously been scheduled to do so, and loudly proclaimed into the microphone twice in a row that he wouldn't care about being there at all if he didn't have a primary challenger.

Another establishment incumbent bites the dust in a crushing, nearly 2 : 1 upset defeat; good riddance. Besides lying about his presence in his district during the COVID-19 crisis, Engels decisively showed his true colours when he infamously stated that "If I didn't have a primary I wouldn't care" regarding his clear and evident lack of genuine interest in addressing his constituents on the hot button, exceedingly relevant issues of racial injustice in policing; something his district was and is impacted by in particular. Likewise those Democrats who vigourously endorsed him even after this disgusting admission came to light have also revealed their true alignment and priorities, showing they prize the continued dominance of their Third Way/New Democrat neoliberal sub-faction in Washington over decency, principle and voter representation, while outing their claims to support policing reform as at best secondary to the continuity of their power and at worst hollow lip service: Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi (the latter of which shamelessly danced around Engel's comments when pressed on them in delivering her endorsement).

Congratulations to Jamaal Bowman, and as he himself said in his rousing victory speech: "I can't wait to get to DC and cause problems for those maintaining the status quo."

Last edited:
New York Primary Election Results: 16th Congressional District - The New York Times

Jamaal Bowman defeats Eliot Engel New York'''s 16th District: results - Business Insider

Another establishment incumbent bites the dust in a crushing, nearly 2 : 1 upset defeat; good riddance. Besides lying about his presence in his district during the COVID-19 crisis, Engels decisively showed his true colours when he infamously stated that "If I didn't have a primary I wouldn't care" regarding his clear and evident lack of genuine interest in addressing his constituents on the hot button, exceedingly relevant issues of racial injustice in policing; something his district was and is impacted by in particular. Likewise those Democrats who vigourously endorsed him even after this disgusting admission came to light have also revealed their true alignment and priorities, showing they prize the continued dominance of their Third Way/New Democrat neoliberal sub-faction in Washington over decency, principle and voter representation, while outing their claims to support policing reform as at best secondary to the continuity of their power and at worst hollow lip service: Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi (the latter of which shamelessly danced around Engel's comments when pressed on them in delivering her endorsement).

Congratulations to Jamaal Bowman, and as he himself said in his rousing victory speech: "I can't wait to get to DC and cause problems for those maintaining the status quo."

Right.

Give Bowman a year of multinational corporate donor and lobbyist money and he'll fall right in line with Nancy and Chuck.

Right.

Give Bowman a year of multinational corporate donor and lobbyist money and he'll fall right in line with Nancy and Chuck.

Hasn't happened with AOC and the squad (AOC was specifically and literally just primaried by a corporate Wall Street Democrat who she utterly crushed); not sure why it would be true in Bowman's case.

Hasn't happened with AOC and the squad (AOC was specifically and literally just primaried by a corporate Wall Street Democrat who she utterly crushed); not sure why it would be true in Bowman's case.

LOL!!

It didn't even take AOC a year to fall in line with Nancy and Chuck.

LOL!!

It didn't even take AOC a year to fall in line with Nancy and Chuck.

Which is why she went against them to endorse Bowman (and was likely important if not instrumental to his success and the displacement of an establishment relic)? I mean you clearly haven't been paying attention, or are otherwise being willfully ignorant if you think AOC has given them utter and unconditional obedience. If she was bought by Wall Street/corporate dollero and was whipped by Nancy, she obviously never would have opened her mouth on this race.

Moreover, Wall Street never would have dumped millions into their primary challenge against her ala Michelle Caruso-Cabrera.

Last edited:
Which is why she went against them to endorse Bowman (and was likely important if not instrumental to his success and the displacement of an establishment relic)? I mean you clearly haven't been paying attention, or are otherwise being willfully ignorant if you think AOC has given them utter and unconditional obedience. If she was bought by Wall Street/corporate dollero and was whipped by Nancy, she obviously never would have opened her mouth on this race.

Moreover, Wall Street never would have dumped millions into their primary challenge against her ala Michelle Caruso-Cabrera.

Nancy lets AOC posture, but all Nancy has to do is give AOC a "look" and AOC falls in line.

download (30).jpg

Right on!

More progress in destroying NY

Remind me why it is such an "upset" when 1 Dim beats another?

Nancy lets AOC posture, but all Nancy has to do is give AOC a "look" and AOC falls in line.

View attachment 67285116

Uh huh.

Somehow I rather doubt Caruso would have been funded nearly as well as she was if AOC was merely an obedient automaton for Pelosi towing the party line, nor would Pelosi continually spew backhanded derision/belittlement towards her and her colleagues, nor would she vote against her own party more than 2.3 times the norm, generally only being surpassed in dissent by socially conservative/Blue Dog/southern state Dems.

Right on!

More progress in destroying NY

If you say so.

Remind me why it is such an "upset" when 1 Dim beats another?

Oh, I dunno, maybe because one of the two has the backing of the Dem establishment, outraised and outspent his opponent more than 2 : 1 (save until the end) and has been an incumbent in his seat since the late 80s, and the other guy basically just materialized overnight and beat the former candidate by nearly the same ratio he was initially outfunded? Sounds a lot like an upset to me.

Uh huh.

Somehow I rather doubt Caruso would have been funded nearly as well as she was if AOC was merely an obedient automaton for Pelosi towing the party line, nor would Pelosi continually spew backhanded derision/belittlement towards her and her colleagues, nor would she vote against her own party more than 2.3 times the norm, generally only being surpassed in dissent by socially conservative/Blue Dog/southern state Dems.

With a Dem House majority, Nancy can afford to let AOC posture against the grain.

But like I said...that "look" always set's AOC straight.

If you say so.

Oh, I dunno, maybe because one of the two has the backing of the Dem establishment, outraised and outspent his opponent more than 2 : 1 and has been an incumbent in his seat since the late 80s, and the other guy basically just materialized overnight and beat the former candidate by nearly the same ratio he was outfunded? Sounds a lot like an upset to me.

If you say so.

The people fleeing NY say so

Oh, I dunno, maybe because one of the two has the backing of the Dem establishment, outraised and outspent his opponent more than 2 : 1 and has been an incumbent in his seat since the late 80s, and the other guy basically just materialized overnight and beat the former candidate by nearly the same ratio he was outfunded? Sounds a lot like an upset to me.

Take a lesson on how the Tea party congressmen did

I won't say that I'm not hopeful for Bowman to pull through and show that he can actually do something different. But I've seen far too many democrats fall right back into the same place, not long after taking their new seat.

The fact that he's been backed by the same people who're more, or less involved in how things got this bad in the first place. Does not help to ease my apprehensions about this.

I won't say that I'm not hopeful for Bowman to pull through and show that he can actually do something different. But I've seen far too many democrats fall right back into the same place, not long after taking their new seat.

The fact that he's been backed by the same people who're more, or less involved in how things got this bad in the first place. Does not help to ease my apprehensions about this.

Which people are those exactly?

I mean Eliot Engel was explicitly the candidate of those people, by those people, and for those people and was funded accordingly. By all indications, Bowman will be of the Sanders/AOC camp, and they're not exactly inclined towards the status quo.

Which people are those exactly?

I mean Eliot Engel was explicitly the candidate of those people, by those people, and for those people and was funded accordingly. By all indications, Bowman will be of the Sanders/AOC camp, and they're not exactly inclined towards the status quo.

Sanders fell in line with the democrats after they basically stabbed him for his troubles, twice even.
While AOC is more inclined to tout the next progressive revolution, against a force that she can't even describe. Much less seek to understand, as all of her attempts to be heard are nothing more than extended photo shoots and grabs for attention. The most she's done that actually seemed to be the work of a politician supporter the people. Was to keep Amazon from opening their new building and crushing thousands of jobs in the process. That mixed with the amount of trouble that's followed her into her seat, does not help much.

To be honest, AOC is not the best politician for anyone to support in my opinion. I've heard others on both the left and right, describe her as the female version of Trump.

I do hope Bowman can actually change things. The city is in dreadful need of reform, in more than a few areas and I think he's got a hard battle ahead of him.

Sanders fell in line with the democrats after they basically stabbed him for his troubles, twice even.

I would disagree with that to be honest.

Despite supporting Biden and casting his endorsement with him, Sanders hasn't compromised on his core agenda and principles; I think he earnestly believes that Trump is too great a threat to be permitted one term, nevermind two, and in light of Donnie's objective mishandling of both the BLM and COVID crises I'm actually pretty inclined to agree.

While AOC is more inclined to tout the next progressive revolution, against a force that she can't even describe. Much less seek to understand, as all of her attempts to be heard are nothing more than extended photo shoots and grabs for attention. The most she's done that actually seemed to be the work of a politician supporter the people. Was to keep Amazon from opening their new building and crushing thousands of jobs in the process. That mixed with the amount of trouble that's followed her into her seat, does not help much.

To be honest, AOC is not the best politician for anyone to support in my opinion. I've heard others on both the left and right, describe her as the female version of Trump.

I do hope Bowman can actually change things. The city is in dreadful need of reform, in more than a few areas and I think he's got a hard battle ahead of him.

I would posit that AOC lamenting massive corporate welfare and avoiding participation in a race-to-the-bottom precedent, which NY would have doled out and participated in, is ultimately a good thing (also, for the record, AOC wasn't actually responsible for Amazon's ultimate refusal to settle in NY). Profitable companies should absolutely not be given taxpayer handouts in such a gross, egregious and unconditional fashion as was floated regarding 'HQ2'. It was honestly a truly sickening experience watching all these municipalities and politicos trip over themselves to get on their knees and blow Bezos, already the world's wealthiest man.

Second, I find that to be a very simplistic and rather biased mischaracterization of AOC's actions and endeavours; first of all, she has achieved notable success in working towards and building the progressive coalition and colleague base she needs in order to be a true force in Washington, productively mobilizing her star power and popularity through endorsements and the like. Further, per her voting record and interactions with her constituency, she has indeed served as a faithful representative of her district.

Third, the AOC and Trump comparison just falls entirely flat; she neither lies nor gaffes nearly as much as the latter, nor does she commit to the free association streams of incoherent dribble or moments of truly epic stupidity that Trump has routinely showcased. While I would agree that she has made a misstep every now and then, with such being mainly a product of her inexperience, the daylight between her and Trump is orders of magnitude; it ain't even close.

Lastly yes, I too hope Bowman can change things for the better in his district, and there seems to be every indication he'll damn well try.

Last edited:
Great news!

Engel is one of those Israel First sort of fellows.

Glad to see the apple cart get upset.

Dem cities are slowly becoming more Progressive.

Good news. Engle was a maroon. Maybe Bowman will be better.

Great news!

Engel is one of those Israel First sort of fellows.

Glad to see the apple cart get upset.

I have no doubt Engel's position on Israel, and his general position of being a Middle Eastern warhawk was one of the key elements that saw him installed as Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. He was a massive recipient of pro-Israel aid in this race, receiving in the vicinity of $3 million in support in terms of ads and donations: Jamaal Bowman Reminds Progressives They Can Win

I would disagree with that to be honest.

Despite supporting Biden and casting his endorsement with him, Sanders hasn't compromised on his core agenda and principles; I think he earnestly believes that Trump is too great a threat to be permitted one term, nevermind two, and in light of Donnie's objective mishandling of both the BLM and COVID crises I'm actually pretty inclined to agree.[/QOUTE]
After all that time fighting against what Hillary and the rest of the establishment stood for, supporting populace values and getting so many to follow him, myself included. Many of us were completely heartbroken to see that he had to nomination stolen from him in such a way. Barely anyone knowing what a super-delegate actually was, but when he turned right around and supported her after all that. I was basically salt in the wound.

He would also do better by standing for something he can support himself and not push the same beliefs that the other democrats push.
Because all they've done as a whole, is talk about Trump and say all of this other stuff about him. But they've continually fallen below the bar when proof became a necessary requirement.

I would posit that AOC lamenting massive corporate welfare and avoiding participation in a race-to-the-bottom precedent, which NY would have doled out and participated in, is ultimately a good thing (also, for the record, AOC wasn't actually responsible for Amazon's ultimate refusal to settle in NY). Profitable companies should absolutely not be given taxpayer handouts in such a gross, egregious and unconditional fashion as was floated regarding 'HQ2'. It was honestly a truly sickening experience watching all these municipalities and politicos trip over themselves to get on their knees and blow Bezos, already the world's wealthiest man.

Second, I find that to be a very simplistic and rather biased mischaracterization of AOC's actions and endeavours; first of all, she has achieved notable success in working towards and building the progressive coalition and colleague base she needs in order to be a true force in Washington, productively mobilizing her star power and popularity through endorsements and the like. Further, per her voting record and interactions with her constituency, she has indeed served as a faithful representative of her district.

Third, the AOC and Trump comparison just falls entirely flat; she neither lies nor gaffes nearly as much as the latter, nor does she commit to the free association streams of incoherent dribble or moments of truly epic stupidity that Trump has routinely showcased. While I would agree that she has made a misstep every now and then, with such being mainly a product of her inexperience, the daylight between her and Trump is orders of magnitude; it ain't even close.

Suggesting that they are different from one another. Simply because one does something "less than" the other. Is not something that I would consider a reasonable argument. Because we both know that they still lie and that they still have their own share of gaffes. Which I would also argue is made uneven due to the fact that the media will either manufacture lies from Trump and they'll probably never notice the more obvious ones from Cortez. Thankfully we have the local affiliates to show us some of the things that she gets into, because it is just something that the large media groups never see, or cover.

On the case of Amazon, it was just tax cuts. Something that even she was found to have requested when she had her startup over a decade ago. Her using her celebrity to force such a movement, was completely irresponsible and the fact that it tore so many jobs from a city that desperately needed it and now, with the pandemic. That's a fact that is even more evident than before.

She should at least know better than to do such things, for someone in her position. Many of which warned her on her social media when it was starting and she did nothing but either ignored them, or blocked them entirely. All because they didn't agree.

After all that time fighting against what Hillary and the rest of the establishment stood for, supporting populace values and getting so many to follow him, myself included. Many of us were completely heartbroken to see that he had to nomination stolen from him in such a way. Barely anyone knowing what a super-delegate actually was, but when he turned right around and supported her after all that. I was basically salt in the wound.

He would also do better by standing for something he can support himself and not push the same beliefs that the other democrats push.
Because all they've done as a whole, is talk about Trump and say all of this other stuff about him. But they've continually fallen below the bar when proof became a necessary requirement.

Though I agree Sanders got shafted twice by the Democratic party establishment, in the end, he didn't ultimately budge on his principles, and again, I think he's being pragmatic about the fact that sadly, if you can't abide the Republican, there's no where else to go save the Democrat, and as stated, he most certainly cannot abide Trump and for good reason. It would be a greater disservice to what he stands for to withhold support from the party and contribute to the electoral victory of Don, indirectly or otherwise, than to work to defeat him, so I totally understand where he's coming from.

Suggesting that they are different from one another. Simply because one does something "less than" the other. Is not something that I would consider a reasonable argument. Because we both know that they still lie and that they still have their own share of gaffes. Which I would also argue is made uneven due to the fact that the media will either manufacture lies from Trump and they'll probably never notice the more obvious ones from Cortez. Thankfully we have the local affiliates to show us some of the things that she gets into, because it is just something that the large media groups never see, or cover.

To say AOC does it 'less' than Trump is a gross understatement frankly, again we're talking orders of magnitude here; a differential of that extent is indeed significant and relevant. Further all politicos lie and gaffe; I've yet to see evidence that AOC does it more often than the norm as opposed to the Republicans (and her Third Way Democrat opponents) having her under a microscope in perpetuity, looking for the merest moment of weakness in fear of her obvious charisma and star power in hopes of trying to blunt or undermine it. It is clear that they're certainly preoccupied with jumping on every possible thing that might be construed as wrong/silly/absurd in a way that easily rivals MSNBC's throatbreathing vis a vis Trump.

On the case of Amazon, it was just tax cuts. Something that even she was found to have requested when she had her startup over a decade ago. Her using her celebrity to force such a movement, was completely irresponsible and the fact that it tore so many jobs from a city that desperately needed it and now, with the pandemic. That's a fact that is even more evident than before.

She should at least know better than to do such things, for someone in her position. Many of which warned her on her social media when it was starting and she did nothing but either ignored them, or blocked them entirely. All because they didn't agree.

Again I disagree completely, the whole HQ2 thing was fundamentally a fiasco of Bezos panhandling for special concessions and de facto corporate welfare as the richest man in the world for the biggest company in the world by capitalization, encouraging municipalities to engage in a race to the bottom for the sake of finite jobs and economic development that were oversold and overstated, and that Amazon ultimately would not have been obliged to follow through on in either part or whole. Frankly he didn't deserve to be honoured with the ********ing he clearly expected and ultimately got. It was disgusting, and I'm glad AOC took a stand against this and its repulsive precedent.

Hahaha - the revolution always eats itself. :lamo

Engel was such a crook. I'm glad that he's been unseated by a local upstart.

Let the Dems be taken over by their radicals. Let the Dem establishment be overthrown.

I'm waiting for Pelosi and Schumer's turn.

Last edited:
Though I agree Sanders got shafted twice by the Democratic party establishment, in the end, he didn't ultimately budge on his principles, and again, I think he's being pragmatic about the fact that sadly, if you can't abide the Republican, there's no where else to go save the Democrat, and as stated, he most certainly cannot abide Trump and for good reason. It would be a greater disservice to what he stands for to withhold support from the party and contribute to the electoral victory of Don, indirectly or otherwise, than to work to defeat him, so I totally understand where he's coming from.
So do that mean you're glad that he's done basically the equivalent of stabbing his own supporters in the back, on more than two occasions now. Both in his support for being president and their support for him, only to be turned on and be thrown under the bus?

To say AOC does it 'less' than Trump is a gross understatement frankly, again we're talking orders of magnitude here; a differential of that extent is indeed significant and relevant. Further all politicos lie and gaffe; I've yet to see evidence that AOC does it more often than the norm as opposed to the Republicans (and her Third Way Democrat opponents) having her under a microscope in perpetuity, looking for the merest moment of weakness in fear of her obvious charisma and star power in hopes of trying to blunt or undermine it. It is clear that they're certainly preoccupied with jumping on every possible thing that might be construed as wrong/silly/absurd in a way that easily rivals MSNBC's throatbreathing vis a vis Trump.
Once again, the argument is that they are alike. Regardless of who does more of what.

She's had issues with using her own power to do things that she's only gotten away with. Simply because it was shaded under the reason of progressivism. Something that not many other politicians could dare try to get away with and she's jumped on many of the same baseless claims against Trump that have just caused so many other people to roll their eyes.

Again I disagree completely, the whole HQ2 thing was fundamentally a fiasco of Bezos panhandling for special concessions and de facto corporate welfare as the richest man in the world for the biggest company in the world by capitalization, encouraging municipalities to engage in a race to the bottom for the sake of finite jobs and economic development that were oversold and overstated, and that Amazon ultimately would not have been obliged to follow through on in either part or whole. Frankly he didn't deserve to be honoured with the ********ing he clearly expected and ultimately got. It was disgusting, and I'm glad AOC took a stand against this and its repulsive precedent.

Which I've seen very little argument for, yet her biggest push for not having Amazon come to the city was that they were basically giving the company free money. Something that if she'd taken the moment to see how the move worked, she'd understood was not actually happening.

And my issue was never about Bezos. It's that she was so willing to literally delete so many jobs from the market and disrupt so many lives. Simply for a cause that she could barely define on her own.
Does that sound like something that's good to you?

Back
Top Bottom