• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jailed American spent years collecting Russian contacts

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
WASHINGTON — A U.S. corporate security executive and former Marine who has been jailed in Moscow on spying charges has spent more than a decade cultivating friends and contacts in Russia, both virtual and real.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ecting-russian-contacts/ar-BBRP9zA?li=BBnbfcL

I find this bit interesting;

Whelan's Marine record also would likely prevent U.S. intelligence from hiring him. He began active duty with the Marines in 2003 and was deployed twice to Iraq, rising to staff sergeant. But his military career ended with a court martial in 2008, when he was convicted on charges that included attempted larceny and dereliction of duty.
Court documents released by the military show he was accused of attempting to steal more than $10,000 while on duty in Iraq, where he worked as a clerk, in September 2006. He was also convicted of using a false social security number and profile for a military computer system to grade his own examinations, and of writing 10 bad checks totaling around $6,000.
He was dropped two grades in rank and given a bad conduct discharge from the Marine Corps.

About five years in the USMC that ended with a Big Chicken Dinner.

WASHINGTON — A U.S. corporate security executive and former Marine who has been jailed in Moscow on spying charges has spent more than a decade cultivating friends and contacts in Russia, both virtual and real.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ecting-russian-contacts/ar-BBRP9zA?li=BBnbfcL

Whelan's Marine record also would likely prevent U.S. intelligence from hiring him. He began active duty with the Marines in 2003 and was deployed twice to Iraq, rising to staff sergeant. But his military career ended with a court martial in 2008, when he was convicted on charges that included attempted larceny and dereliction of duty.
Court documents released by the military show he was accused of attempting to steal more than $10,000 while on duty in Iraq, where he worked as a clerk, in September 2006. He was also convicted of using a false social security number and profile for a military computer system to grade his own examinations, and of writing 10 bad checks totaling around $6,000.
He was dropped two grades in rank and given a bad conduct discharge from the Marine Corps.

Sounds like the perfect Russian Mark.

How does Borg-Warner vet their security folks and what does an auto parts manufacturer need with “security?”

It was also interesting when Whelan’s brother was interviewed and he professed not to know the circumstances of his brother’s separation from service, but he was very certain that he could not be a spy.

How does Borg-Warner vet their security folks and what does an auto parts manufacturer need with “security?”

It was also interesting when Whelan’s brother was interviewed and he professed not to know the circumstances of his brother’s separation from service, but he was very certain that he could not be a spy.

I'm sure that was his version of "I have no recollection", while trying not to highlight the fact that his brothers departure from the USMC was one step away from a Dishonorable Discharge.

His arrest sounds more like a tit for tat, and an opportunity to use him as a bargaining chip to get thier own back in exchange.

I'm sure that was his version of "I have no recollection", while trying not to highlight the fact that his brothers departure from the USMC was one step away from a Dishonorable Discharge.

His arrest sounds more like a tit for tat, and an opportunity to use him as a bargaining chip to get thier own back in exchange.

Do “we” want him back?

Do “we” want him back?

As a bargaining chip, the Russians didn't choose very well....I would imagine that "corporate security executive" is code for Auto parts warehouse gate guard; I cant imagine anyone with a BCD so recently in thier past being hired on as an executive level anything.

My WIFE (100% service connected Navy vet) taught me about that term (Big Chicken Dinner) her former husband earned himself one hahahahaha. Actually it's no laughing matter, but when she was talking about him she was laughing, it's true.
He was a supreme dumbass.

Honestly, it takes a dedicated and special kind of stupid to be awarded a BCD; especially as an NCO/Petty Officer.....at that point you haven't just stepped on your crank, you threw it out and invited the cast of "River Dance" to use it as a stage.

Honestly, it takes a dedicated and special kind of stupid to be awarded a BCD; especially as an NCO/Petty Officer.....at that point you haven't just stepped on your crank, you threw it out and invited the cast of "River Dance" to use it as a stage.

Michael “Flatley”, amirite?

:lamo

I was just about to say the same thing.
Not exactly a beacon of light, is he?

I’m sure Trump will portray him as the modern day Nathan Hale; after someone tells Trump who Hale is.......

I’m sure Trump will portray him as the modern day Nathan Hale; after someone tells Trump who Hale is.......

What, HIS staff???? They'll probably tell him about Alan Hale.

440px-Alan_Hale_Jr._Gilligans_Island_1966.JPG

Fella has citizenship in other countries. We should let those other countries take care of the situation. We are not globalists anymore!

What is slightly strange is that the media, in the main, keeps on referring to

U.S. intel sources say retired Marine held in Moscow is no spy

him as a RETIRED Marine.

However, it is equally strange that no one is pointing out that he is NOT "American" since he wasn't born in the United States of America (he was born in Canada so his links to a "Communist" country cannot be denied), and, on top of that he purports to be a citizen of BOTH the UK and Eire. In fact he had FOUR DIFFERENT passports which is obvious evidence of nefarious behaviour since everyone knows that all you really need is an American passport.

This raises the possibility that, although there is no more chance of someone like him working for an American intelligence agency than there was for someone like Lee Harvey Oswald to have worked for an American intelligence agency, he was collecting otherwise protected information (read as "spying") for SOMEONE.

How does Borg-Warner vet their security folks

Good question.

...and what does an auto parts manufacturer need with “security?”

If they want to sell secret military parts/equipment (like spark plugs or light switches) to the US government, they have to have "security"

Very few people who get kicked out of the military with a Bad Conduct Discharge rush home and tell their family that they got tossed out because they were convicted of committing crimes - such as stealing government property.

Ouch - a highly accurate description, but OUCH!

Good question.

Very few people who get kicked out of the military with a Bad Conduct Discharge rush home and tell their family that they got tossed out because they were convicted of committing crimes - such as stealing government property.

I submit that most folks engaged in espionage also don’t ”rush home and tell their family!”

What, HIS staff???? They'll probably tell him about Alan Hale.

440px-Alan_Hale_Jr._Gilligans_Island_1966.JPG

Not only did Mr. Hale actually serve in the USCG during WWII, but "The Skipper" served in the USN (and was decorated). "The Skipper" was unfailingly polite and considerate of women (even the two "hotties" he was marooned with) so I don't think that Mr. Trump would consider "The Skipper" to be an acceptable role model.

Besides Mr. Whelan got caught and Mr. Trump has no respect for those who get caught.

They DON'T?!?!?!

I am so surprised that I could break wind.

It’s not really that long of a thread. You don’t seem to have started from the OP. Danger of entering a thread mid-stream, if you will.

Back
Top Bottom