• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jailed American spent years collecting Russian contacts

Not only did Mr. Hale actually serve in the USCG during WWII, but "The Skipper" served in the USN (and was decorated). "The Skipper" was unfailingly polite and considerate of women (even the two "hotties" he was marooned with) so I don't think that Mr. Trump would consider "The Skipper" to be an acceptable role model.

Besides Mr. Whelan got caught and Mr. Trump has no respect for those who get caught.

True, I understand all about the REAL Alan Hale.
I got hired to cut together a music video for an 80's hair band called "Nitro" and the "storyline" was that a bunch of old media celebs would accompany them on their journey to fame. Originally they cast Alan Hale "The Skipper" to be the driver of their tour bus, and somewhere in my tape library I still have one of the versions where The Skipper is their driver, but ultimately the producer had me cut Alan out and had Ron Jeremy play the cameo role of the bus driver instead.

It was to be the very last time Alan Hale would be before the cameras, but it never made the airwaves.
Here's the version with Ron Jeremy as the bus driver instead. You'll also see Rose Marie (Dick Van Dyke Show) and Morey Amsterdam in the beginning of the clip.

https://vimeo.com/87320503

If I can manage to dig out the Alan Hale version, I'll digitize it and "hoist it up" and link to it.

It’s not really that long of a thread. You don’t seem to have started from the OP. Danger of entering a thread mid-stream, if you will.

I see that my "I am so surprised that I could break wind." didn't sort of tip you off to the the sarcasm level of my "They DON'T?!?!?!".

Oh well.

I see that my "I am so surprised that I could break wind." didn't sort of tip you off to the the sarcasm level of my "They DON'T?!?!?!".

Oh well.

“Pearls before swine” and all........sarcasm doesn’t do well in a text medium. :thumbs:

True, I understand all about the REAL Alan Hale.
I got hired to cut together a music video for an 80's hair band called "Nitro" and the "storyline" was that a bunch of old media celebs would accompany them on their journey to fame. Originally they cast Alan Hale "The Skipper" to be the driver of their tour bus, and somewhere in my tape library I still have one of the versions where The Skipper is their driver, but ultimately the producer had me cut Alan out and had Ron Jeremy play the cameo role of the bus driver instead.

It was to be the very last time Alan Hale would be before the cameras, but it never made the airwaves.
Here's the version with Ron Jeremy as the bus driver instead. You'll also see Rose Marie (Dick Van Dyke Show) and Morey Amsterdam in the beginning of the clip.

https://vimeo.com/87320503

If I can manage to dig out the Alan Hale version, I'll digitize it and "hoist it up" and link to it.

Unfortunately the clip wouldn't play for me.

That's probably because I refuse to put out good money for the latest Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.101 which doesn't actually do anything that Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.100 did, but does it in a completely different manner so that I have to learn where Mr. Gates has decided that all of my files are going to be stored and what complicated steps I have to go through to access them provided that Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.101 hasn't decided that I don't need those files and "archived" them in some place that I have to have "Administrator Access" to get to (and won't allow me to give myself "Administrator Access" because the only people who can give people "Administrator Access" have to have "Administrator Access" first [a situation which, of course Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.101 doesn't notify you of when you are installing it]).

Unfortunately the clip wouldn't play for me.

That's probably because I refuse to put out good money for the latest Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.101 which doesn't actually do anything that Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.100 did, but does it in a completely different manner so that I have to learn where Mr. Gates has decided that all of my files are going to be stored and what complicated steps I have to go through to access them provided that Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.101 hasn't decided that I don't need those files and "archived" them in some place that I have to have "Administrator Access" to get to (and won't allow me to give myself "Administrator Access" because the only people who can give people "Administrator Access" have to have "Administrator Access" first [a situation which, of course Windows BloatWare X.xxx.xx.xx.101 doesn't notify you of when you are installing it]).

Wha-a-a-a-at? It's a Vimeo clip, it should play in your browser.
Don't tell me you're one of those folks who is still running Win98 or something...just go get the latest Linux build if you're that far into the CT about Windows, or use the Chrome OS.

Sheesh, I have not had a single issue with Windows since Vista, and even that was a very minor one.
Or maybe, if you're that stubborn, get an Apple and be a true hardcore Windows hater LOL.

No seriously, not kidding...playing a video in a browser, or rather, NOT BEING able to, is absurd.
It has nothing to do with Administrator Access.
I'm guessing your machine is overflowing with "cracked" software too, am I wrong?

Never mind, I don't wanna hijack the thread, but if this dusty seven year old machine running Win8.1** can still render video edit timelines with 14 video tracks faster than most Mac Pros and run multiple 4K streams, your machine should be able to play a crappy Vimeo clip in your browser with no problem.

Editbaydown1a.jpg

(**I have several fresh genuine unopened copies of Windows 10 but I am one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" types so I am too lazy to do the install just now. I did install 10 on my son's machine and my daughter's but wifey is still on Win7 Pro and I am still on 8.1 with zero issues.)

Wha-a-a-a-at? It's a Vimeo clip, it should play in your browser.
Don't tell me you're one of those folks who is still running Win98 or something...just go get the latest Linux build if you're that far into the CT about Windows, or use the Chrome OS.

Sheesh, I have not had a single issue with Windows since Vista, and even that was a very minor one.
Or maybe, if you're that stubborn, get an Apple and be a true hardcore Windows hater LOL.

No seriously, not kidding...playing a video in a browser, or rather, NOT BEING able to, is absurd.
It has nothing to do with Administrator Access.
I'm guessing your machine is overflowing with "cracked" software too, am I wrong?

Never mind, I don't wanna hijack the thread, but if this dusty seven year old machine running Win8.1** can still render video edit timelines with 14 video tracks faster than most Mac Pros and run multiple 4K streams, your machine should be able to play a crappy Vimeo clip in your browser with no problem.

View attachment 67247491

(**I have several fresh genuine unopened copies of Windows 10 but I am one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" types so I am too lazy to do the install just now. I did install 10 on my son's machine and my daughter's but wifey is still on Win7 Pro and I am still on 8.1 with zero issues.)

I use Windows XP because it still does almost everything and the stuff that it doesn't do I don't actually need. Yes I miss the odd video, but I generally trust the people who post them to describe what is on them accurately, so I don't suffer all that much.

One of the reasons for NOT upgrading is because of the expense of upgrading some of the other (specialized) software that I use (the upgrade cost works out to around $25,000 per machine)

I use Windows XP because it still does almost everything and the stuff that it doesn't do I don't actually need. Yes I miss the odd video, but I generally trust the people who post them to describe what is on them accurately, so I don't suffer all that much.

One of the reasons for NOT upgrading is because of the expense of upgrading some of the other (specialized) software that I use (the upgrade cost works out to around $25,000 per machine)

Believe it or not I actually understand. I have a Windows 7 Pro machine that has Sonic Scenarist on it. Cost: $35,000.00
Thankfully it was purchased for me by the producers on a project a few years ago and they were happy to just make it a gift on top of the invoice.

The difference between Sonic Scenarist and DVDit Pro or any other authoring tool, to be honest, is like the difference between a VW Golf and a Bugatti Veyron (also a VW product, believe it or not)

I see no need to upgrade, I probably won't be doing any authoring that requires more than Scenarist BD has to offer.

But that's the reason I suggested you pick up a Chromebook for simple web use. A two hundred dollar Chromebook will pretty much do anything you ask of it if it's website related, and you can always connect it to a larger HDMI monitor.
Surfing the internet on XP is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

You might even find a premium Chromebook in a pawn shop for fifty bucks.

Believe it or not I actually understand. I have a Windows 7 Pro machine that has Sonic Scenarist on it. Cost: $35,000.00
Thankfully it was purchased for me by the producers on a project a few years ago and they were happy to just make it a gift on top of the invoice.

The difference between Sonic Scenarist and DVDit Pro or any other authoring tool, to be honest, is like the difference between a VW Golf and a Bugatti Veyron (also a VW product, believe it or not)

I see no need to upgrade, I probably won't be doing any authoring that requires more than Scenarist BD has to offer.

But that's the reason I suggested you pick up a Chromebook for simple web use. A two hundred dollar Chromebook will pretty much do anything you ask of it if it's website related, and you can always connect it to a larger HDMI monitor.
Surfing the internet on XP is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

I wouldn't go so far as "disaster" - but repeated "ticking off" I'd buy.

You might even find a premium Chromebook in a pawn shop for fifty bucks.

Good point, I'll keep my eyes open.

Back
Top Bottom