• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jacob Blake is handcuffed to his hospital bed, father says, despite being paralyzed after police sho

So you disagree with the dictionary? That's cute.

I agree with the law. A person who has never been convicted of a crime is not a criminal.

People are slandering the victim of, at best, total police incompetence, since three officers were unable to take one unarmed man into custody without shooting him 7 times at point-blank range, or at worst, deliberate police misconduct. Either way, this guy's life has all but been destroyed, even if he does survive, and it sickens me that people are so damned gleeful about it.

I agree with the law. A person who has never been convicted of a crime is not a criminal.

People are slandering the victim of, at best, total police incompetence, since three officers were unable to take one unarmed man into custody without shooting him 7 times at point-blank range, or at worst, deliberate police misconduct. Either way, this guy's life has all but been destroyed, even if he does survive, and it sickens me that people are so damned gleeful about it.

Which law would that be? Please provide a citation.

The "victim" who was fighting with cops and resisting arrest? What were they supposed to do about this poor helpless, Tazer-immune "victim" with a knife? Maybe you should join the police force, and teach them all how to restrain a "victim" without getting stabbed.

Which law would that be? Please provide a citation.

The "victim" who was fighting with cops and resisting arrest? What were they supposed to do about this poor helpless, Tazer-immune "victim" with a knife? Maybe you should join the police force, and teach them all how to restrain a "victim" without getting stabbed.

Not going to play games with you. There has been a complaint issued against him. Period. A D.A. hasn't even indicated whether there's enough evidence to even take it to trial. A person who has never been convicted of a crime is not a criminal, and you can demand that others "prove a negative" until your fingers blister, you can't change that reality.

Done here.

[h=1]Jacob Blake is handcuffed to his hospital bed, father says, despite being paralyzed after police shot him in the back[/h]Kenosha: Jacob Blake is handcuffed to his hospital bed, father says - Business Insider
A police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin, left Jacob Blake paralyzed when he shot him multiple times in the back on Sunday. Now, according to Blake's father, the 29-year-old has been handcuffed to his hospital bed.

"He can't go anywhere," Blake's father, also named Jacob Blake, told the Chicago Sun-Times on Thursday. "Why do you have him cuffed to the bed?"

Andrew Yang, a former Democratic candidate for president, said he had also spoken with Blake's father, who visited his son on Wednesday. According to Yang, the son wept and asked, "Daddy, why did they shoot me so many times?"

"He has restraints on even though he can't move his legs," Yang said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Kenosha police officers essentially took this man's life away from him. They stole his health, they stole his future. They robbed his 3 young boys of a father who could be a father, one that other children have. And now, they rob his dignity and add insult to his injuries. I will ask one more time, would he be chained (his father's description) to his hospital bed if he was a white man?

Cry me a river .. it's standard operating procedure to secure felons. Did the police rob the 3 young children or did the father make poor decisions to be a felon, attempt to evade police and have access to a weapon in an altercation?

He is NOT a criminal; he has never been convicted of any crime. He has a warrant based on a complaint his ex-girlfriend made last month.

He is a prisoner.... this is standard practice.

This conversation is inane.

I guess it would be too much to expect you to understand that the cops who arrested Roof were different cops than the ones who arrested Blake. Some cops are just stupid or bad people. How does that translate to "hypocrisy in our justice system?"

Did you shed a single tear for Daniel Shaver, or do you have a poster of his killer over your bed because he helped even out the score?

I guess "hypocrisy" is just a word for people other than you.

Yes I surely do understand they were 'different cops'. I personally know the detective wearing the white shirt. He's the son of a family member. My point is that the police, like others that are supporting Trump, have become more racially discriminatory than ever before. In just five years since Obama left office and Trump took office, more police have gone rogue and that's because Trump gave them license to do so. They were guaranteed a pardon if they were brought up on brutality charges.

Trump has called for more violence and heavy-handedness on the part of police many times, and all documented.

Cry me a river .. it's standard operating procedure to secure felons. Did the police rob the 3 young children or did the father make poor decisions to be a felon, attempt to evade police and have access to a weapon in an altercation?

Dylann Roof shot 9 blacks in a church in cold blood. Police bought him a hamburger on the way to the police station. Of course that was the police under Barack Obama's administration. For the first three years of Trump's presidency he told police to, 'rough them up more' 'don't be too gentle' and 'if you get into trouble, don't worry, I'll pardon you'.

Was it SOP to stop with a murderer in the police vehicle to get him something to eat because he didn't have time after slaying nine elderly people in church to stop for real food, all he had time for was a bag of chips and bottle of water at a gas station where he filled up his gas tank fleeing police?

Dylann Roof shot 9 blacks in a church in cold blood. Police bought him a hamburger on the way to the police station. Of course that was the police under Barack Obama's administration. For the first three years of Trump's presidency he told police to, 'rough them up more' 'don't be too gentle' and 'if you get into trouble, don't worry, I'll pardon you'.

Was it SOP to stop with a murderer in the police vehicle to get him something to eat because he didn't have time after slaying nine elderly people in church to stop for real food, all he had time for was a bag of chips and bottle of water at a gas station where he filled up his gas tank fleeing police?

Sigh ..

Let's fact check your social media news feed:

While FBI was performing the initial questioning, Dylann Roof focused on hunger and police purchased him food from a nearby Burger King. During questioning, not on the way to the station.

Including feeding the unexpected arrestee.

“He hadn’t eaten, they said, in a couple of days,” Maddox told Yahoo News. “They bought him a hamburger. They just sent out for it. I guess one of the police officers went and picked it up.”

Ledford confirmed that this purchase was made.

Trump to aides concerning contracting and eminent domain to construct the border wall:
Don’t worry, I’ll pardon you

Trump addressing law enforcement officials on the topic of suspected gang members - specifically MS-13:

Now, we’re getting them out anyway, but we’d like to get them out a lot faster. And when you see these towns and when you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon — you just see them thrown in, rough — I said, please don’t be too nice. (Laughter.) Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over? Like, don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody — don’t hit their head. I said, you can take the hand away, okay?

Last edited:
I don't see the justification for having shot him. Yes, he should have obeyed the officers. That doesn't mean shooting is justified.

Where did I say it was justified? Personally I think it required action on the part of the police, there were enough of them there that as a unit they could have handled it better. I view the action of the single officer as an over-reaction to the threat at that point and the shots fired were excessive. That is just my arm chair thoughts, but I was not there and I do not know the details of the full event, I could be way off base.

Yes I surely do understand they were 'different cops'. I personally know the detective wearing the white shirt. He's the son of a family member. My point is that the police, like others that are supporting Trump, have become more racially discriminatory than ever before. In just five years since Obama left office and Trump took office, more police have gone rogue and that's because Trump gave them license to do so.

The facts say otherwise. The number of unarmed black men killed by police has gone down DRAMATICALLY since 2015. It actually went UP significantly from 2013 to 2015.

2013: 50
2014: 63
2015: 70
2016: 40
2017: 48
2018: 28
2019: 30

So much for Trump fomenting racism among the police.

National Trends — Mapping Police Violence

[h=1]Jacob Blake is handcuffed to his hospital bed, father says, despite being paralyzed after police shot him in the back[/h]Kenosha: Jacob Blake is handcuffed to his hospital bed, father says - Business Insider
A police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin, left Jacob Blake paralyzed when he shot him multiple times in the back on Sunday. Now, according to Blake's father, the 29-year-old has been handcuffed to his hospital bed.

"He can't go anywhere," Blake's father, also named Jacob Blake, told the Chicago Sun-Times on Thursday. "Why do you have him cuffed to the bed?"

Andrew Yang, a former Democratic candidate for president, said he had also spoken with Blake's father, who visited his son on Wednesday. According to Yang, the son wept and asked, "Daddy, why did they shoot me so many times?"

"He has restraints on even though he can't move his legs," Yang said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Kenosha police officers essentially took this man's life away from him. They stole his health, they stole his future. They robbed his 3 young boys of a father who could be a father, one that other children have. And now, they rob his dignity and add insult to his injuries. I will ask one more time, would he be chained (his father's description) to his hospital bed if he was a white man?

Insanity; what's he going to do, drag himself across the floor while he is paralysed and his internal organs are shredded and attack someone?

Ya think maybe, just maybe, it's for the safety of the hospital staff? After all, this man with a knife ignored police with 3 guns trained on him, because he was intent on escaping.
*think*

How much of a threat do you think a man paralysed from the waist down is, with half his internal organs badly damaged? You have no idea what his "intent" was, so quit inventing what you think he might have been doing.

Not going to play games with you. There has been a complaint issued against him. Period. A D.A. hasn't even indicated whether there's enough evidence to even take it to trial. A person who has never been convicted of a crime is not a criminal, and you can demand that others "prove a negative" until your fingers blister, you can't change that reality.

Done here.

I believe we view criminal behavior a bit differently:

Blake was charged July 6 with felony third-degree sexual assault and misdemeanor trespassing and disorderly conduct.

On May 3, 2020, a woman Blake knew told police he came into her house about 6 a.m., sexually assaulted her and then took a debit card and car keys before fleeing in her vehicle, according to a criminal complaint.

A warrant for Blake’s arrest was filed the day after the criminal complaint, you can see the case details here: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Where did I say it was justified? Personally I think it required action on the part of the police, there were enough of them there that as a unit they could have handled it better. I view the action of the single officer as an over-reaction to the threat at that point and the shots fired were excessive. That is just my arm chair thoughts, but I was not there and I do not know the details of the full event, I could be way off base.

I didn't say anything about what you said. To be fair to the officers, reportedly they did try a taser first and it didn't work, if even that was justified (I haven't looked closely enough at the story on that need). There appears to have been a knife in the vehicle, but it's not clear if the officers knew that, or that he was a threat at that point needing to kill him.

I didn't say anything about what you said. To be fair to the officers, reportedly they did try a taser first and it didn't work, if even that was justified (I haven't looked closely enough at the story on that need). There appears to have been a knife in the vehicle, but it's not clear if the officers knew that, or that he was a threat at that point needing to kill him.

Agree with a lot of your sentiments. They were there on a domestic disturbance charge, something occurred that the officers felt he should be taken into custody and when he fought against them they tried the taser, evidently without effect. At one point there is a photo that shows he had a knife, in fact, he told the officers that he did have a knife. I have to assume that it may be the same knife they found on the floor and if so, he evidently dropped it there in the struggle at the car. As I have said before, I question the need to use deadly force and certain not to the extend used, i.e., seven shots in the back. A lot of answers have yet to be explained and hopefully will come out in time.

Agree with a lot of your sentiments. They were there on a domestic disturbance charge, something occurred that the officers felt he should be taken into custody and when he fought against them they tried the taser, evidently without effect. At one point there is a photo that shows he had a knife, in fact, he told the officers that he did have a knife. I have to assume that it may be the same knife they found on the floor and if so, he evidently dropped it there in the struggle at the car. As I have said before, I question the need to use deadly force and certain not to the extend used, i.e., seven shots in the back. A lot of answers have yet to be explained and hopefully will come out in time.

I have said a number of times, that unfortunately, in basically each of the infamous situations I see where the police have wrongly harmed black people, while it does not excuse the police wrong at all, the victims have done something wrong that likely could have prevented the incident (I'm sure there are many less infamous where that's not the case).

Simply as a matter of safety, in addition to the reforms of the police I support, I'd like to see efforts made to get the civilians to do better at things like obeying the police, and it will also help reduce the number of incidents.

I just read that the warrant has been dropped and the cuffs removed.

Sigh ..

Let's fact check your social media news feed:

While FBI was performing the initial questioning, Dylann Roof focused on hunger and police purchased him food from a nearby Burger King. During questioning, not on the way to the station.

Trump to aides concerning contracting and eminent domain to construct the border wall:

Trump addressing law enforcement officials on the topic of suspected gang members - specifically MS-13:

Well isn't that special.

Handcuffs are off today.

yes charged by his girlfriend in a domestic dispute
He was not charged by his girlfriend. He was charged by the State.

And you and others will defend the cops for shooting an unarmed man in the back 7 times severing his spinal cord and crippling him for life.
Yes. Intelligent people tend to support that which is justified shootings.

Five years ago, 21 year old Dylann Roof was arrested after shooting and killing seven people inside a Black church in North Carolina. When police arrested him after a seven hour manhunt .....did they shoot him in the back seven times? No. Instead, the cops put him in the squad car and drove to Burger King and bought him a hamburger because oh you know.... he was hungry because he only had time after murdering nine people to grab a bag of chips and some water at a gas station.

But there are few people here that understand or even give a **** about the profound hypocrisy of our justice system.

Cops bought Burger King for Dylann Roof following his arrest in Shelby, North Carolina - ABC7 Los Angeles

[video=youtube;akl0JP4zCtU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akl0JP4zCtU[video]
Seriously? The two cases and facts surrounding them are not even close to being the same.
There is no comparison or hypocrisy to be had here.
And no they did not put him in the car and drive to burger king.
They later purchased a meal for him becasue they are required to feed those in custody.

Yes I surely do understand they were 'different cops'. I personally know the detective wearing the white shirt. He's the son of a family member. My point is that the police, like others that are supporting Trump, have become more racially discriminatory than ever before. In just five years since Obama left office and Trump took office, more police have gone rogue and that's because Trump gave them license to do so. They were guaranteed a pardon if they were brought up on brutality charges.

Trump has called for more violence and heavy-handedness on the part of police many times, and all documented.

[video=youtube;WIs2L2nUL-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIs2L2nUL-0[video]

Wrong.
And all you are really saying is that you stupidly conflate rhetoric, and a call to defend others from violence, with actual calls to violence.
Your position is asinine.

Done here.
You are literally and objectively wrong.
It does not take a conviction to be defined as a criminal, only and actual criminal act, which he committed through his interactions with the police that day.

Apparently you are the one playing a game and even misstating reality to do so. And then running becasue you know you are wrong.

Insanity; what's he going to do, drag himself across the floor while he is paralysed and his internal organs are shredded and attack someone?
Insanity? :lamo:lamo:lamo

Not. Routine policy.
He is in custody. You keep those in custody cuffed.

He is also paralysed, unable to move and barely alive. Good grief indeed.

Irrelevant. He was in custody.

Handcuffs are off today.

That's what happens when charges are vacated, you get released from custody.

Back
Top Bottom