• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jackie Evancho

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Absolutely astounding. I think I've seen it all, now.

I agree - such a gorgeous and mature voice!
And she herself is precocious to boot.

Unlike almost all other children acts that have graced the stage I think she's one of the few who could *handle* actually being famous (from what I've seen of her, anyway).

I think it's just a unique twist that she came into the show from Youtube and not from the traditional means - making her story more astounding.

I can't believe she didn't win! I was actually quite pissed when Grimm won.
I hate his style of singing. . . absolutely hate it - I have never liked it. And how he won is beyond me.

She still has a good career in front of her, that's pretty much a guarantee.

I hate his style of singing. . . absolutely hate it - I have never liked it. And how he won is beyond me.

Oh, I've been pulling for Michael since day one. He's like an old black man trapped in a young white man's body.

She needs time to be a little girl. I mean, seriously; what would a ten year-old do with a Vegas contract? She'll be fine. Better than fine. I can't wait to hear more from her.

In my humble opinion I believe that Jackies parents with the future well being

and happiness of their daughter in mind, conceded the competition..

And I must wholeheartedly concur with their decision...

Las Vegas is not a young person friendly place - no matter what they say - I won't take my own kids there,

and a year there would totally destroy her - hell it probably wouldn't take a month....

............................ Do we need another Brittany Spears????

I must admit I was a little disappointed because that would probably be my only chance to see one of

her shows ....... nonetheless .....

They made the right decision

She has gone from being a local phenom to being a national phenomenon

Blame Peirs Morgan.

He buzzed Poppycock and then gave his most glowing reviewing to Jackie.

Buzzing Poppycock pissed off a lot of people who also liked Jackie and probably lead them to either decide not to vote or to vote for Grim in order to spite Peirs.

I'm almost sure that Piers caused Jackie's loss.

There is no way that Jackie's parents would give up a million dollars.

A million dollars & a year in Vegas - tough call - you're right . But chicken feed compared to
that young ladies potential..

I think they made a good call if that is even the case...It is my personal speculation

Watch this be all over the internet in less than a week...........

Last edited:
2hebj3r.jpg

There is often a backlash against frontrunners: Susan Boyle came in second. America isn't all that into opera. If you are into opera, Jackie Evancho was signed to appear at Carnegie Hall in December...right after her first appearance on AGT, so her career began before the show ended.

Didja see Michael Grimm propose to his GF on Ellen? She accepted, of course. A beauty of a redhead; they're both lucky. Sometime nice guys DO finish first...plus his voice gives me a thrill up my leg. lol

Regards from Rosie

Actually - 2 winners have been opera singers (American Idol, America's Got Talent) in the past )probably more, I can't quite remember. . . so it's hard to tell trends. Since when did the boy-crooner become popular? (obviously I'm out of touch).

It sort of bothers me that a non-singing act hasn't won, yet.
And the show is open to people of all ages - but no one elderly or very young have been given respect directly due to their age. Everyone says specifically to the young people: "you're too young" - the judges say this often, too.

:shrug: If they're too young then don't let them come onto the show and tryout.

Ewwww, American Idol, yuk. I never go near it. AGT had Terry Fator, the ventriloquist guy winning the million.

This year it really was a frontrunner backlash. Also the young acts often crack under pressure: the 12yar old girl dancer fell down the stairs. Yes, a goof up, but the voters punished her for it. That is typical.

If "Dancing With the Stars" had Americans allowed to vote they wouldn't even try to get away with booking someone so untalented as Kate Gosselin ever again. We Americans can be so brutal!

Regards from Rosie

I don't think that Anna and Patryk cracked under pressure. . . it was a mere misstep, easy to do in those adorable but slender heels.

The downfall for many acts seems to be they loose their uniqueness and get boring all of a sudden - change up what is interesting.
Aside Anna's fall their entire dance routine was humdrum (in my opinion) in comparison to what they had been doing - it was the music that just didn't do it.
Same thing with AscenDance - they changed up their presentation, the very thing that made this so unique and appealing, and took it a step down.
Same thing with Paradizo dance . . . and so on.

Changing up - dramatically - what everyone liked spells disaster.
But keeping it too boring spells disaster as well.

That being said - I was rooting for fighting Gravity.

But on a good note - I saw Quick Change perform in Vegas when we were there off season in March. Sure- not exactly big-time, but they're still *there* - so I'm sure other acts and performers will get there by invitation.

There is no way that sound is coming from that kid! :shock:
How can she sound like a mature woman singing??? :confused:

There is no way that sound is coming from that kid! :shock:
How can she sound like a mature woman singing??? :confused:

Opera is a trained singing style. It involves lung-capacity, control over your vocal range, and using your throat, tongue, vocal chords and diaphragm to shape the sound. It's a very difficult thing for some people to learn. Without training she probably had a naturally pretty voice and learned how to deepen her lower notes - which is usually done with the lower throat and chest. And sharpen her higher notes with her cheek and upper throat control.

She's already an obvious opera singer - when she talks sometimes she shapes her mouth in a opera-like manor. . . something that is trained and they don't notice it.

But I think she's naturally precocious - developmentally (psychologically, emotionally) in her attitude and manner she seems more grown up than the average 10yo girl - I think that, also, has something to do with it. She has dedication, too - she really likes to sing, practices every day.

Last edited:
There is often a backlash against frontrunners: Susan Boyle came in second. America isn't all that into opera. If you are into opera, Jackie Evancho was signed to appear at Carnegie Hall in December...right after her first appearance on AGT, so her career began before the show ended.

Didja see Michael Grimm propose to his GF on Ellen? She accepted, of course. A beauty of a redhead; they're both lucky. Sometime nice guys DO finish first...plus his voice gives me a thrill up my leg. lol

Regards from Rosie

Same! He so rocks. He's like every R&B/soul singer I've ever loved, in a young white man's body. Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Al Green, Marvin Gaye - all of 'em.

I can't wait to hear his original work, stuff he wrote himself.

I just heard this girl for the first time today, over at a friend's house who just got the PBS DVD's and CD set. Absolutely wonderful voice, and the Puccini aria was flawless. I was floored by her performances, and I'm fairly jaded when it comes to music.

I hope he has a long and wonderful career. Her parents seem to be managing it all very well, canceling engagements she isn't up to and seeing to it she doesn't burn out, as so many prodigies do.

Jackie Evancho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "Dream With Me" DVD and CD combo from the PBS special is excellent.

Absolutely astounding. I think I've seen it all, now.

I would hope there are some other young prodigies out there, male and female, of equal talent and they could do an album or video together, maybe even an opera with original music. David Foster and/or some of the Broadway writers could handle that.

Well, I am glad she didn't win. She's got an alright voice, but she's not suited for Vegas. Also, she didn't really have to pay any dues like the rest of the people on AGT did. She just flopped right in, a few weeks before the finale, and we were supposed to accept her?

Nah. Un-uh. She was good, but part of this show is going through performances and votes, performaces and votes. She didn't really have to do any of that.

I was thrilled when Michael Grimm won, and picked up his CD the day it was released. I love his sound. That being said, he's not so much a Vegas act, either. I will forever be a Poppycock fan. Now that is a Vegas act.

Same! He so rocks. He's like every R&B/soul singer I've ever loved, in a young white man's body. Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Al Green, Marvin Gaye - all of 'em.

I can't wait to hear his original work, stuff he wrote himself.

IIRC, this is one of his originals.

Well, I am glad she didn't win. She's got an alright voice, but she's not suited for Vegas. Also, she didn't really have to pay any dues like the rest of the people on AGT did. She just flopped right in, a few weeks before the finale, and we were supposed to accept her?

She has a great voice, better than 'all right', and I agree, she's not Vegas material; she's much better than that.

What kind of 'dues' is she supposed to pay? She 'paid' by developing her voice in a very tough genre of music and having a natural talent. It doesn't matter where she 'flopped in', she was heads and shoulders above the rest of the contestants. Grimm was just okay, nothing special, certainly not in the same class as Evancho. He isn't going to be scheduled to do duets with talents like Streisand any time soon.

Last edited:
if she's scheduled to do anything with Barbra Streisand it's because she's a cute, rich little blonde white girl. Not because she's that talented, because she's just not. Her voice is decent, bordering on mediocre. She just has a gimmick because she's a cute little girl who sings opera. Whoop-de-doo.

As far as dues she's supposed to pay, she was in a competition. That's the dues she's supposed to pay. Everyone else on the show waited in line for hours, auditioned, had to go through judging, then performed, then were judged, then performed, then were judged. It is a process that the competitors have to go through. She didn't. She showed up at nearly the end of the competition, all cute smiles and rosy cheeks, and freakishly rolling her head around, left and right, trying to look angelic, and she is supposed to win?

Again, glad she didn't. And if you, and others, think she is so high above Vegas, then why did she go on the show to start with? Vegas was always the prize, so if she's so hoity toity and so much better than Vegas, then she needs to find another reality show to peddle her wares on.

While I think she is a terrific talent, I also believe Michael Grimm to be an outstanding talent. He has a lot of heart and he comes off as he really loves what he's doing. Somebody had to win. And I think part of the reason she didn't is the fact that it's for a Vegas act and she's pretty young to be in that environment even tho' she can deliver the goods. I would pay top dollar to see either of those talented people.

Last edited:

Nah. Un-uh. She was good, but part of this show is going through performances and votes, performaces and votes. She didn't really have to do any of that.

I was thrilled when Michael Grimm won, and picked up his CD the day it was released. I love his sound. That being said, he's not so much a Vegas act, either. I will forever be a Poppycock fan. Now that is a Vegas act.

While I love Grimms sound as well, I do think Prince Poppycock, as creepy as he appeared to me, would have been a much better act to book considering the fact that he is so flamboyant, flashy and pretty much looks like he belongs there among all the other flashy, tacky and colorful strange ones.

if she's scheduled to do anything with Barbra Streisand it's because she's a cute, rich little blonde white girl. Not because she's that talented, because she's just not. Her voice is decent, bordering on mediocre. She just has a gimmick because she's a cute little girl who sings opera. Whoop-de-doo.

She' already been there, done that with Streisand, and your racist, misogynist, and ageist diatribe just makes you look like a complete idiot who wouldn't recognize talent in any case. The fact is, opera singing is head and shoulders above just another Singing Guitar Plucker Wearing A Bluesy Like Hat And Stuff ', not to mention there is only about 10 million of those kinds around, they're about as rare as crayons, and it doesn't matter if she didn't show up until the last show, she blew away the entire collection of amateurs, most of whom are probably just relatives and family friends of the producers anyway.

Last edited:
She' already been there, done that with Streisand, and your racist, misogynist, and ageist diatribe just makes you look like a complete idiot who wouldn't recognize talent in any case. The fact is, opera singing is head and shoulders above just another Singing Guitar Plucker Wearing A Bluesy Like Hat And Stuff ', not to mention there is only about 10 million of those kinds around, they're about as rare as crayons, and it doesn't matter if she didn't show up until the last show, she blew away the entire collection of amateurs, most of whom are probably just relatives and family friends of the producers anyway.

:lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom