• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jacinda Ardern resigns as prime minister of New Zealand

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

At the party’s first caucus meeting of the year on Thursday, Ardern said she “no longer had enough in the tank” to do the job. “It’s time,” she added.

Not many world leaders have the courage to hang it up when they know it's time. And this world leader led her country through COVID, the Christchurch massacre, and other significant challenges.

Whoever succeeds Ardern will have some very big shoes to fill.

If only politicians here would do likewise. Down with the gerontocracy!

I was disappointed, but not shocked, to read this. Ardern is young, what 41? She performed brilliantly during her term, and leaves NZ in better shape than when she took office. She is going out on a high note, in my opinion, with her head held high and nothing to besmirch her reputation for the future. As Phys251 says, "Not many world leaders have the courage to hang it up when they know it's time."

That is the second time a prime minister in new zealand, John keys the leader of the national party, had also has announced a surprise retirement while he was in the job.

She will be missed. And we probably will have a right wing government next election. But then that is how politics works in nz. One side gets a good dozen or so years at running the country and then we swap to the other side.

"What are the chances she was a puppet of the Chimese government? We don't have enough evidence to prove that, but we would rate that as 100% likely." - Tucker Carlson

Oh Tucky, you magnificent limp twatwaffle. I hope continuously airing your deep-seated feelings of inadequacy and pointless existence is offset by whatever millions FOX pays you.

Not many world leaders have the courage to hang it up when they know it's time. And this world leader led her country through COVID, the Christchurch massacre, and other significant challenges.

Whoever succeeds Ardern will have some very big shoes to fill.

I'm glad she knows when to quit.

More world leaders need to learn when the hell to give up the mantle.

Adern seems to have done a good job, even though she's down in the polls as recent. But not every leader is going to remain forever popular.

I wish her luck on the rest of her life.

That is the second time a prime minister in new zealand, John keys the leader of the national party, had also has announced a surprise retirement while he was in the job.

She will be missed. And we probably will have a right wing government next election. But then that is how politics works in nz. One side gets a good dozen or so years at running the country and then we swap to the other side.

The politcal pendulum forever swings back and forth.

Like the Democrats and Republicans in the United States.

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard or read that something meant the end of the Democrat or Republican Party, okay, it wouldn’t make me rich but I’d have a good $20 at least.

I'm glad she knows when to quit.

More world leaders need to learn when the hell to give up the mantle.

Adern seems to have done a good job, even though she's down in the polls as recent. But not every leader is going to remain forever popular.

I wish her luck on the rest of her life.
I imagine having a four year old daughter had a part in that.

When the nutjobs start sending hate mail to a four year old then jacinda had to stop thinking like a politician and accept such mail and instead think like a mother.

Jacinda had the hardest term in office out of many prime ministers. Dealing with the christchurch terrorist, the covid outbreak and locking down a country. And then unfortunately your arsehole trump stirred up the nutjobs with their hate even this far away.

No nothing like what america has. Here it almost an accepted history of politics that each side gets a dozen or so years at office and then we swap over. Where as in america you simply squabble with lies and misinformation.

The parliamentary system used in New Zealand and Australia seems to have two qualities: more response to public opinion, and quite sudden change.

The world is losing a very intelligent, very compassionate, innately qualified leader.

So. Which dumbass over there is going to dance into the PM's office and then get the Gerald Ford treatment?

So. Which dumbass over there is going to dance into the PM's office and then get the Gerald Ford treatment?
The government has only a week to pick a new leader otherwise it falls to a vote among registered labour members.

Should be interesting. There were four main contenders. Two of which are gay, male and female and one has problems with making gaffs with his speeches and the other a bit of an arrogant prick (personal opinion).

Next election the right wing national party will win. Because it is their turn and because the prime minister is not the only one in government running out of steam.

The government has only a week to pick a new leader otherwise it falls to a vote among registered labour members.

Should be interesting. There were four main contenders. Two of which are gay, male and female and one has problems with making gaffs with his speeches and the other a bit of an arrogant prick (personal opinion).

Next election the right wing national party will win. Because it is their turn and because the prime minister is not the only one in government running out of steam.
Well, that sucks.

Well, that sucks.
Not really. The difference here is that national tends to side with what is best for business while labour sides with what is best for people. We tend to swap over roughly every twelve years or three terms. By that time whatever side is in government is tired out and so gets replaced.

Most americans would look on our right wing government as being left wing to them.

Of course she quit rather than face defeat. Cowardly they say but in parliamentary systems it is commonplace to fall on one's sword for the party. Her milquetoast replacement will almost certainly lose because he has no personality or following. Might have been a competent leader but we will never know.

In place will be a Christian fundamentalist who draped the national airline in the livery of sports machismo, who is already planning to undermine programs for minorities and who plans to coddle the rich and neglect the working poor; yet who, while earnestly playing the contrarian, would likely have acted almost the same if he'd been in charge during the pandemic. Watch NZ's short lived swing to the right just because they're tired of Jacinda.

Of course she quit rather than face defeat. Cowardly they say but in parliamentary systems it is commonplace to fall on one's sword for the party. Her milquetoast replacement will almost certainly lose because he has no personality or following. Might have been a competent leader but we will never know.

In place will be a Christian fundamentalist who draped the national airline in the livery of sports machismo, who is already planning to undermine programs for minorities and who plans to coddle the rich and neglect the working poor; yet who, while earnestly playing the contrarian, would likely have acted almost the same if he'd been in charge during the pandemic. Watch NZ's short lived swing to the right just because they're tired of Jacinda.
You lost me when you failed to mention the fiery pits of mordor

Back
Top Bottom