• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

J. Oliver's Hilarious Take On Ferguson & The Militarization Of Our Police

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

No matter who was in the right/wrong in Ferguson, the militarization of our local police is real and very disturbing. No longer do police see citizens as people to protect but rather potential lawbreakers who must be 'pacified.'

No matter who was in the right/wrong in Ferguson, the militarization of our local police is real and very disturbing. No longer do police see citizens as people to protect but rather potential lawbreakers who must be 'pacified.'
Chamberlain's Chamberpot. A Punk Is a Hunk

This Brit Twit's sissyboy attitude will lead him and other pushovers into the hell of Sharia law in Londonistan.

I thought it was brilliant.

Got 4 minutes in before I couldn't take it any more.

The kid says he's been "verbally abused" by the cops. What does that mean? Do cops just walk up and down the street hollering obscenities at black kids or is it more of a negative response when you tell the cop to "**** off. I ain't doin nothin!"?

You're upset because the PD doesn't have many blacks? Well why is that?

How about looking at the cause of these issues instead of just the end result.

FFS....
"Hey man, you're missing a finger!"

-"Yeah. The MF'er blew it off!"

"How'd that happen?"

-"MF'er sold me some M-80's and when I lit it off it blew my finger off."

"Man, I seen that MF'er eyeballin' you. He ****ed you over good! Let's go burn his place down."

The kid says he's been "verbally abused" by the cops. What does that mean? Do cops just walk up and down the street hollering obscenities at black kids or is it more of a negative response when you tell the cop to "**** off. I ain't doin nothin!"?

FFS....

"How'd that happen?"

"Man, I seen that MF'er eyeballin' you. He ****ed you over good! Let's go burn his place down."

In no way does the video excuse the actions of some of the people within the community. What I got from it is that we should hold our officers to a higher standard.

If you had bothered to watch it through, then you would see a cop doing exactly that... just saying.

If you had bothered to watch it through, then you would see a cop doing exactly that... just saying.

"It happened before" and "It happens regularly" are two totally different things.

Last night I watched as a cop threatened to shoot a reporter. I also watched 60 or 70 other cops NOT make such a threat.

"It happened before" and "It happens regularly" are two totally different things.

Last night I watched as a cop threatened to shoot a reporter. I also watched 60 or 70 other cops NOT make such a threat.

And all it takes is a few cops out of a force of 70 to taint the whole force and set the population against the police.

Damn - you beat me posting this!

Good stuff - Oliver is great.

FFS....

"How'd that happen?"

The video painted a somewhat more comprehensive picture than that.

I particularly appreciated the last couple of minutes. I personally am against militarized police forces and have seen some egregious abused of power. While there are certainly those who play up the racial aspects of this, police dressed out in full military gear and waving muzzles around at civilians should expect to be attacked. They are literally threatening the lives of innocent citizens.

In a photo a saw no less than SEVEN cops in camo in full body armor pointing their rifle barrels UP, at various targets, one an unarmed woman.

That's not OK, no matter how you slice it.

American streets are NOT a war zone. It's not a DMZ.

Tell me, Luther...how would YOU feel if you were a resident of that town right now?

In a photo a saw no less than SEVEN cops in camo in full body armor pointing their rifle barrels UP, at various targets, one an unarmed woman.

That's not OK, no matter how you slice it.

American streets are NOT a war zone. It's not a DMZ.

Tell me, Luther...how would YOU feel if you were a resident of that town right now?

I'd be pretty pissed if I lived in Ferguson. I'm not so sure I'd be pissed at the cops as much as I was the assholes who keep on wrecking **** though.

I'd be pretty pissed if I lived in Ferguson. I'm not so sure I'd be pissed at the cops as much as I was the assholes who keep on wrecking **** though.

It wouldn't anger you that you'd be getting treated the same as the criminals, despite your lack of criminal activity?

A rifle was pointed right at the person taking the picture I describe. The curfew affects everyone equally. What percentage of the population was rioting and looting?

It wouldn't anger you that you'd be getting treated the same as the criminals, despite your lack of criminal activity?

A rifle was pointed right at the person taking the picture I describe. The curfew affects everyone equally. What percentage of the population was rioting and looting?

If someone pointed a weapon at me for no reason I'd be pissed. It's happened before and I'm pretty sure that my reaction would be the same now as it was then.

Like I said, the incident I saw was unacceptable behavior by the cop. The flip side is, if you don't want a gun stuck in your face then don't be in an area where there's a riot going on.

Sometimes; extreme situations call for extreme solutions!

Still yet; I'm totally/completely opposed to militarizing the police!

If someone pointed a weapon at me for no reason I'd be pissed. It's happened before and I'm pretty sure that my reaction would be the same now as it was then.

Like I said, the incident I saw was unacceptable behavior by the cop. The flip side is, if you don't want a gun stuck in your face then don't be in an area where there's a riot going on.

I think the tacticool cops should consider that as well. Especially if they plan on taking that gear off and going home at some point. At some point someone is going to start hunting these guys who have granted themselves their position of authority, and the current occupation is going to look mild by comparison. If the police don't stand down there really will be a war. Where I live our police are part of the community and are our friends at the end of the day. THAT is what they need in Ferguson, not a bunch of cops in costume handling weapons badly.

Last edited:
I think the tacticool cops should consider that as well. Especially if they plan on taking that gear off and going home at some point. At some point someone is going to start hunting these guys who have granted themselves their position of authority, and the current occupation is going to look mild by comparison. If the police don't stand down there really will be a war. Where I live our police are part of the community and are our friends at the end of the day. THAT is what they need in Ferguson, not a bunch of cops in costume handling weapons badly.

That may have worked before the looting. At that point a show of force was pretty much the only way to stop things.

That may have worked before the looting. At that point a show of force was pretty much the only way to stop things.

And what about next week? Next month? Next year?

I thought Oliver pretty much nailed it as well. I really enjoyed the idiots, I mean police force that had an armored swat carrier for a town of 8,500. I think it was Georgia or Virginia. The police force had the video on their home page of the carrier in action. I think its been pulled. Even the army doesn't like the sale of military weapons to CIVILIAN police. Why do they need to be in camouflage? its not like they are in the desert.

I thought Oliver pretty much nailed it as well. I really enjoyed the idiots, I mean police force that had an armored swat carrier for a town of 8,500. I think it was Georgia or Virginia. The police force had the video on their home page of the carrier in action. I think its been pulled. Even the army doesn't like the sale of military weapons to CIVILIAN police. Why do they need to be in camouflage? its not like they are in the desert.

Well, they did ID their pumpkin show as a potential terrorist target.

The public has an impression of the police as being in opposition to the people, and the police seem absolutely hellbent on proving them right. What we've seen in the days of the rioting is police that are indifferent to the problems that citizens have with them combined with a clear us vs. them mentality. Giving them tools used specifically to combat armed enemies of the state only served to reinforce that mentality, and has produced a highly volatile combination.

Well, they did ID their pumpkin show as a potential terrorist target.

That's right I forgot about that. A whole table full of pumpkins. You can't be too careful. :lol: Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom