• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IWC withdrawal: Japan to resume commercial whaling in 2019

You'll need a letter of marque before you can be called a privateer... ;)

And a letter of marque is only a defense to piracy charges in the country that issued it. Japan could hang him as a pirate.

Also traditionally privateers made money by selling seized goods, where’s he gonna land to sell the whale meat he’s taken off these Japanese ships to fund his patrols?

Buy American cars. Don't buy Japanese cars.

Japan has been cheating on whaling for years.

That's good advice - PROVIDED that the American cars are of the same quality and dependability as the non-American cars selling for the same price.

BTW, Subaru and Kia are only two of the non-Japanese cars sold in the United States of America and none of the American car manufacturers match them for quality and dependability for the same price.

You'll need a letter of marque before you can be called a privateer... ;)

I can arrange to get you a letter of marque.

They aren't cheap and practically no one will recognize them, but they ARE available.

PS - You do realize that there are actually RULES that govern what you can, and cannot, do under letters of marque. Having brought that fact to your attention, it is up to you do do your own "due diligence" in order to determine what you may and may not due. Having given you that warning I am now totally absolved of any liability for any of your actions.

This is terrible news for the owners of Japanese car dealerships since none of the "Eco-Warriors" will now buy Japanese cars.
The American market gets less important all the time as the kids/grandkids/unborns credit card gets closer to being maxed out, and as The New Chinese Empire rises.

i have a pretty serious fear of drowning at sea, so i'd be a piss poor sailor / privateer, i think. however, if it involved sinking whaling boats, i'd almost consider it. some things are more pointlessly destructive and useless than whaling, but it's definitely up there. i'd like to see it banned and the nations who poach sanctioned significantly. eat something else. i have a bit of sympathy for Inuit tribes, but they aren't really the problem.
There is nothing pointless or destructive about managed whaling. Norway, Iceland, and Denmark hunt Minke whales as well. There are quotas and the populations are stable just like any other managed game. In fact St Bernie keeps saying we need to be like the Nordic countries, can you agree with Bernie Sanders? Let’s whale!

You seem to have idealistic bents not supported by any science, like your belief trophy hunting is worse then Poverty.

Last edited:
That's good advice - PROVIDED that the American cars are of the same quality and dependability as the non-American cars selling for the same price.

BTW, Subaru and Kia are only two of the non-Japanese cars sold in the United States of America and none of the American car manufacturers match them for quality and dependability for the same price.
What about BMW Volvo and Mercedes and Fiat and Alfa Romeo etc. Reliability of cars can vary by model. Some Hondas has bad transmission etc. I have gotten better service out of some of the American cars that I have owned and worse serves out of some Japanese cars. I have also got very good service out of Japanese cars and poor service out of American cars that I have owned.

so, after toying with armchair anti-whaling militance online even though i'm probably a paper tiger, i decided to see if anyone was taking it further than Greenpeace. check out this group :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society

Such acts continued with Sea Shepherd claiming responsibility for damaging or sinking multiple whaling ships, through sabotage or ramming. The group has attempted to intervene against Russian, Spanish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Makah, Faroese, and Japanese whalers in multiple campaigns around the globe.

if i'm honest, part of me is like "yeah! stop those whaling assholes!" and then the other part of me is like "man. i don't know. seems like there might be a better way." i'm generally the latter, though it did feel pretty satisfying to post my first comment in this thread. i hate whaling.

There is nothing pointless or destructive about managed whaling. Norway, Iceland, and Denmark hunt Minke whales as well. There are quotas and the populations are stable just like any other managed game. In fact St Bernie keeps saying we need to be like the Nordic countries, can you agree with Bernie Sanders? Let’s whale!

whaling is pointless cruelty.

whaling is pointless cruelty.

No it’s not. If they killed the whales and dumped them into the sea that would be pointless cruelty. They take the whale ashore and use it to make tasty whale meet and other whale based products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet the folks in Tokyo, Japan are surprised that Subaru isn't Japanese. Perhaps you are thinking of Hyundai?

The really interesting thing to me here is that my investigation reveals that whale has over time become less popular, it is too strong for moderns. There is no confidence that the Japanese will be able to find a market for increased production.

No it’s not. If they killed the whales and dumped them into the sea that would be pointless cruelty. They take the whale ashore and use it to make tasty whale meet and other whale based products

i'm not surprised that you support a pointlessly cruel practice that sucks.

i'm not surprised that you support a pointlessly cruel practice that sucks.

It is not pointlessly cruel. What does “suck” mean? For all the talk you like to make of education you seem to have a problem forming logically coherent arguments

It is not pointlessly cruel. What does “suck” mean? For all the talk you like to make of education you seem to have a problem forming logically coherent arguments

"sucks" in this case means that it's detestable. thanks for sharing your opinion about my ability to debate. i will place it with the rest of your comments in file 13.

"sucks" in this case means that it's detestable. thanks for sharing your opinion about my ability to debate. i will place it with the rest of your comments in file 13.

Calling something detestable is not an argument. You can’t provide a reason why whaling is wrong without saying all hunting or all ranching is wrong. There is nothing more wrong about killing a whale then killing a cow

I know your biography teacher was a democrat because you got the wrong species. They hunt Minke whales which are not endangered

The reason I brought up the right whale species is because that species was nearly hunted to extinction by overzealous whalers. They called the species the “right whale” because it had traits, such as the dead carcasses floating on the surface for easy retrieval, that made it the “right” whale to hunt.

The reason I brought up the right whale species is because that species was nearly hunted to extinction by overzealous whalers. They called the species the “right whale” because it had traits, such as the dead carcasses floating on the surface for easy retrieval, that made it the “right” whale to hunt.

And that is relevant how?

The Japanese wish to hunt Minke whales for food, not larger whales for blubber to make into oil

we'll call them privateers. if it stops Japan from whaling, that's fine by me.

So you are advocating piracy on the high seas??? You are advocating international criminal behavior??? You DO realize it is perfectly lawful for any ship to kill pirates, don't you??

Governments didn't save the whales. Big oil saved the whales.

i have a pretty serious fear of drowning at sea, so i'd be a piss poor sailor / privateer, i think. however, if it involved sinking whaling boats, i'd almost consider it. some things are more pointlessly destructive and useless than whaling, but it's definitely up there. i'd like to see it banned and the nations who poach sanctioned significantly. eat something else. i have a bit of sympathy for Inuit tribes, but they aren't really the problem.

Oh, so you advocate criminal behavior in others, just don't have the guts to do it yourself???

So you are advocating piracy on the high seas??? You are advocating international criminal behavior??? You DO realize it is perfectly lawful for any ship to kill pirates, don't you??

Governments didn't save the whales. Big oil saved the whales.

i have edited my view to support sanctions on Japan for whaling instead of sinking their whaling vessels. we can help them change their "cultural tradition" without employing privateers.

so, after toying with armchair anti-whaling militance online even though i'm probably a paper tiger, i decided to see if anyone was taking it further than Greenpeace. check out this group :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society

if i'm honest, part of me is like "yeah! stop those whaling assholes!" and then the other part of me is like "man. i don't know. seems like there might be a better way." i'm generally the latter, though it did feel pretty satisfying to post my first comment in this thread. i hate whaling.

Piracy is piracy, dude. You can be lawfully killed for it. Why are you so insistent on advocating international crimes???

No, whaling is like any fishing. There is a point to whaling. The whale is already saved. Big oil saved the whale.

the whale is not saved. whaling is pointless, and should be discouraged. i support sanctions.

Decimating essential links in the food chain is an idiotic thing to do. Given the human propensity to hunt things to near annihilation, I think Japan needs to be penalized.

We do not yet understand the oceans well enough to say what should or should not be hunted and to what extent.

Evidence of this is the colapse of the cod stocks.

Back
Top Bottom