• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've suggested this as a joke but Portland comes through!

Social Worker shows up on the CBS News top twenty most dangerous jobs.

And stressful, front line workers generally overworked, with low pay.

It is surprising to me given the broad success of Victim Culture that these jobs are as crappy as they are.

Portland Oregon is the laughing stock of the nation.....the poster child of all leftist policies gone wrong.

Naw, I think San Francisco still holds the #1 spot. Seattle is way up that list fighting for the #1 spot and Portland is up there too.

England makes cops go unarmed at first so they learn to use their words and not intimidation.

Seems to work for them.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Like making congressfolk live in the worst area they represent.

Both sound like better ideas that what is currently going on. An even better idea is not to give cops nor congresscritters power in the first place.

Portland’s Mayor Decided to Replace Police on Horseback With Unarmed Cops. Where Are They?

https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2018/11/21/portlands-mayor-decided-to-replace-police-on-horseback-with-unarmed-cops-where-are-they/

So here it is...maybe. Cops (some) will be replaced with "community relations responders".

The idea is that the community responder will show up for stuff like property crime and incidents with the homeless. They'll have a cop with them, maybe, but it will be their job to make the complainant feel better about calling the authorities.

Well, why not? What's the worst that could happen? I mean, cops are dangerous and kill innocent people, right? Why not send someone to hand out hugs and warm wishes?

I would say that the VAST majority of incident between police and citizens no gun is required...

Most British Police do not regularly carry guns, and seem to do just fine. Are American cops less competent than British cops?

Possibly.

Of course, there is also the fact that there are more guns in America than there are Americans, and those are the ones we know about. I don't know that the solution is for cops to stop carrying guns. (And woe be it that any big gun supporters make the connection between all our guns and the supposed great danger of being a cop in America)

But they really could use far better training on and less flexibility with when to use deadly force. These days it's just "I was scared because I thought I saw...." and unless the cop has caught themselves on video doing something wrong, it'll fly. Hell, even sometimes then it does fly - "ok, so he wasn't driving at the cops like the cops said, but they might have thought he was going to and were scared, so <blah blah blah> they're exonerated"

I'd worry about the training first.

Nobody is, but not every governmental employee that deals with the public is armed, with the authority of the police to detain, and arrest people. Should we arm them all, give librarians firearms just in case?

Careful what you wish for. They already want teachers to be armed.

Last edited:
Portland Oregon is the laughing stock of the nation.....the poster child of all leftist policies gone wrong.

Portland was one of my favourite destinations back before I needed a friggin' passport to cross the border. A great ride down 101 and a great city to visit. Kinda like a Canadian city, actually. Safe. KnowwhatImean?

Naw, I think San Francisco still holds the #1 spot. Seattle is way up that list fighting for the #1 spot and Portland is up there too.

I don't know where you are but if it's a better city to live than Portland or Seattle you're probably not in an American city.

Portland was one of my favourite destinations back before I needed a friggin' passport to cross the border. A great ride down 101 and a great city to visit. Kinda like a Canadian city, actually. Safe. KnowwhatImean?

I was in Portland a few years ago. Rented a car from Portland and drove the coastline of Oregon and back to Portland. Beautiful country. But that was before all the unrest. The people were a bit eccentric and they had a lot of beggars wanting money walking around with all their possessions in carts. I must of had a sign hanging on me that said visitor because I was hit up at just about every corner by someone who wanted money. After about the 6th bill I finally wised up. Had some wonderful cuisine while in Portland in fact throughout the state. They have some impressive wineries too. But the way things are today, that would be one of the last destinations I would pick.

I was in Portland a few years ago. Rented a car from Portland and drove the coastline of Oregon and back to Portland. Beautiful country. But that was before all the unrest. The people were a bit eccentric and they had a lot of beggars wanting money walking around with all their possessions in carts. I must of had a sign hanging on me that said visitor because I was hit up at just about every corner by someone who wanted money. After about the 6th bill I finally wised up. Had some wonderful cuisine while in Portland in fact throughout the state. They have some impressive wineries too. But the way things are today, that would be one of the last destinations I would pick.

Ah yes, panhandlers. My time in the Vancouver area prepared me for that. In Vancouver's case I think everyone in Canada who wouldn't, couldn't or downright shouldn't work ended up in Vancouver and I just figure the same is true of west-coast cities in the US.

Back
Top Bottom