• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've noticed something has changed about the abortion debate on DP

And that defense by no means confers rights on the lives defended.
You are correct, but state legislatures conferring those rights does, and that was happening before Roe was overturned and will expand now that Roe has finally been thrown in the bin.

You're in for a confusing and emotionally painful stretch, Lursa. Much is about to happen that you simply will not understand.

That is wrong. 100%. It is removing a woman's right to self-determination...she no longer gets to decide her future, the protection of her health (and even life), and her ability to uphold her responsibilities and obligations to others.
That is correct. When a fetus is legally granted a basic right to life a woman loses her full right to privacy and full bodily autonomy. The decision to end her pregnancy is no longer up to just her.

This was true in the third trimester under Roe and will be true in earlier trimesters in some states after Roe.

If you're feeling betrayed you can blame it on the Roe majority. They never should have usurped legislative authority in the first place.

The compelling interest is the preservation of the life of another human, which you well know and disingenuously pretend you don't.

I accept that on the surface as a possibility, however what is compelling about saving the life of another human? What is the benefit to the state/public/society?

There are no negative effects of abortion on society...unless you can list some? If so, please do.

As it is, just 'preserving a human life' is a moral judgement, not a political or govt functionally-supported reason. Or 'interest.'

That is correct. When a fetus is legally granted a basic right to life a woman loses her full right to privacy and full bodily autonomy. The decision to end her pregnancy is no longer up to just her.

This was true in the third trimester under Roe and will be true in earlier trimesters in some states after Roe.

If you're feeling betrayed you can blame it on the Roe majority. They never should have usurped legislative authority in the first place.

I feel badly for younger women right now but the things you are pointing out are not settled. For one thing...many states still allow abortion. Assistance for women will be facilitated. Eventually, I hope sooner rather than later, there will be a case of criminal abortion, possibly "murder" under state statute and the things you bring up will have to be examined AGAIN and there are different Const arguments to make...so yes, as I have posted many times, the RvW decision was in no way perfect and only went half way.

So the woman is not held responsible for failed birth control but the man is?

Sounds very sexist.

As you can see, abortion can be a very responsible choice 🤷

And if there is a child, both parents are held equally responsible. That's the law. If the law is not always applied equally, as it should be IMO, remember that most judges are still men.

You are correct, but state legislatures conferring those rights does, and that was happening before Roe was overturned and will expand now that Roe has finally been thrown in the bin.

You're in for a confusing and emotionally painful stretch, Lursa. Much is about to happen that you simply will not understand.

That conflict in rights is going to go back to the federal courts...sooner rather than later I hope.

I accept that on the surface as a possibility, however what is compelling about saving the life of another human? What is the benefit to the state/public/society?\
What is the benefit of the state attempting to protect your life? Or the lives of the members of your family? If you answer those questions honestly you will also have answered the question above.

There are no negative effects of abortion on society...unless you can list some? If so, please do.
Were you to come to harm, it would have absolutely no negative impact on me, In all likelihood, I would never learn about it; you'd just disappear from view here on DP. Yet I want our laws to protect you from harm because I care about human life, even in the abstract.

As it is, just 'preserving a human life' is a moral judgement, not a political or govt functionally-supported reason. Or 'interest.'
Yes, it is a moral judgement. Most every law we have on the books is little more than a moral judgement a majority of people have chosen to have enforced. Even your desire for women to have full bodily autonomy while pregnant is no more than a moral view.

What is the benefit of the state attempting to protect your life? Or the lives of the members of your family? If you answer those questions honestly you will also have answered the question above.

Dont answer questions with questions...it's a great weakness in a debator, shows they dont have the answer or counterargument and need assistance.

Yes, it is a moral judgement. Most every law we have on the books is little more than a moral judgement a majority of people have chosen to have enforced. Even your desire for women to have full bodily autonomy while pregnant is no more than a moral view.

Then it shouldnt be up to the govt. We continually enable people to live as they choose and remove 'moralistic' type laws like for sodomy, suicide, fornication, etc. That's why the 10 precedents that RvW were based on are so important...and now that moron Thomas and probably some of the others want to toss those too. The Const protects us from govt intrusion in certain areas of our lives, like marriage, family, education, etc.

The Shimp vs McFall decision specifically called out the moral aspects and even while viewing the refusal to donate bone marrow as immoral, decided that our individual liberty was more important. As is a woman's life and self-determination. That individual liberty. The unborn has none and even if recognized, absolutely no way to exercise it.

Dont answer questions with questions...it's a great weakness in a debator, shows they dont have the answer or counterargument and need assistance.
I'll answer a question with a question whenever I feel like it, thank you. And as instructed, if you answer my question, you'll have an answer to yours, which is the point.

Then it shouldnt be up to the govt. We continually enable people to live as they choose and remove 'moralistic' type laws like for sodomy, suicide, fornication, etc. That's why the 10 precedents that RvW were based on are so important...and now that moron Thomas and probably some of the others want to toss those too. The Const protects us from govt intrusion in certain areas of our lives, like marriage, family, education, etc.
That is nonsense. You are trying to have your moral views codified, too.

The Shimp vs McFall decision specifically called out the moral aspects and even while viewing the refusal to donate bone marrow as immoral, decided that our individual liberty was more important. As is a woman's life and self-determination. That individual liberty. The unborn has none and even if recognized, absolutely no way to exercise it.
Are your trying to argue that "deciding our individual liberty is more important" is something other than a moral view?

You need to come to realize that your moral views are just that: moral views. They're not objective truths.

I'll answer a question with a question whenever I feel like it, thank you. And as instructed, if you answer my question, you'll have an answer to yours, which is the point.

Such a cop out. It's been obvious this entire thread you dont have answers. That's why you use that cowardly posting "strategy".

That is nonsense. You are trying to have your moral views codified, too.

No I'm not. Which one(s) are you referring to? I've explained clearly in the past that my position is the one that does not intentionally cause pain, suffering, and public loss of equal status and minimization of one's life in society.

If you go back to 'compelling state's interest' you also lose that moral position, since it you cannot explain it.

Are your trying to argue that "deciding our individual liberty is more important" is something other than a moral view?

It's what's been explicitly prioritized in the FF's documents, the DOI, and the Const.

You need to come to realize that your moral views are just that: moral views. They're not objective truths.

Never said my morality was objective truth, but the fact that the pro-life position does intentionally cause pain and suffering and the rest of what I wrote IS the truth. It's undeniable.

Such a cop out. It's been obvious this entire thread you dont have answers. That's why you use that cowardly posting "strategy".
Nothing cowardly about it. In fact, you avoiding the question out of fear as you know answering my question will answer your question, and that's not what you want.

No I'm not. Which one(s) are you referring to? I've explained clearly in the past that my position is the one that does not intentionally cause pain, suffering, and public loss of equal status and minimization of one's life in society.
You want women to have full bodily autonomy during pregnancy. That is a moral view.

It's what's been explicitly prioritized in the FF's documents, the DOI, and the Const.
So what? Making that assertion does not make it something other than a moral view.

Never said my morality was objective truth, but the fact that the pro-life position does intentionally cause pain and suffering and the rest of what I wrote IS the truth. It's undeniable.
You certainly act like your views are moral truths. And so what if a pro-life moral view causes pain? Not wanting others to incur pain, your position, is no less a moral view.

Nothing cowardly about it. In fact, you avoiding the question out of fear as you know answering my question will answer your question, and that's not what you want.

You can object all you want. This entire thread proves it 🤷

And until you answer mine (directly and not evasion), I wont answer yours. (And btw, I've done so before :D )

You want women to have full bodily autonomy during pregnancy. That is a moral view.

I gave you my moral view...why would you misinterpret that and invent something of your own?

And you could not address it directly...instead, you made something up...another sad, weak debating strategy.

So what? Making that assertion does not make it something other than a moral view.

"Na huh" is not an argument. Address it directly.

You certainly act like your views are moral truths.

No...I just wrote the difference and you are again, providing a complaint and not an argument.

And so what if a pro-life moral view causes pain? Not wanting others to incur pain, your position, is no less a moral view.

More weak sauce and failure out of you. I wrote a number of things (and not a complete list) and you focused on one thing. I wrote pain, suffering, and public loss of equal status and minimization of one's life in society. In the past you've seen my write about loss of self-determination and individual liberty.

Are those things important to people? Yes they are, some are recognized in the Const. And you just pretend they wouldnt be part of the harm and loss that denying women abortions would mean. Because you have no moral argument that can supersede that. You would take everything from the woman, like that self-determination, that individual liberty, and instead, confer it on the unborn...please explain why the unborn is more entitled to those things?

Are you under the mistaken impression that only men are pro-life?

The majority are, with or without women according to some survey's (it's early days). That alone should force dems & reps into action.
Also, while the law is now devoid of the legal abomination that was roe vs wade, in reality it forces a 10 y old rape victim travel to another state.
Can you believe some on this board are questioning if it was really a rape ? A 10 year old girl ????

Also, when the celebration started there were women that burst in to tears of joy. Life prevailed, hallelujah !
But that they see only as the start ! of the battle. In their eyes now is the time for a more caring world for a women, a mother and their children !

Nobody told them yet : "You've been HAD sister; reps don't want to pay for "opening your legs" as they see it.
Hope you'll enjoy the ride among the wreckage".

No judge with a conscience would have reversed roe vs wade without a fail safe for children and disabled getting raped or for life-threatening situations.
"Leaving it to the states" is at best highly irresponsible .

What I've noticed from the pro abortion crowd is that the definition of life changes depending on circumstances.

If that's acceptable, then I feel pretty safe in pronouncing Biden dead. He certainly looks it, but I'm sure that technically he's actually alive. Some motor functions - respiration, for example - still exist.
The definition of life doesn't change but if you're saying the movement broadly known as "pro choice" can't come to an agreement on the specific arguments for abortion rights, you'd be right.

It was not true. In the third trimester, a state could but did not have to ban abortion except to save a woman's life or major health functions. Roe would not have let states decide if it had recognized the fetus had a right to life, nor would it have forced states to have an exception for saving the woman's major health functions.

There was no usurpation by the Roe justices. The only usurpers are the ones now in the majority solely because Gorsuch and Barrett were improperly made SC justices by Republicans who would have been willing to lie, cheat, steal, and even hang Pence just to usurp even more power.

It was not true. In the third trimester, a state could but did not have to ban abortion except to save a woman's life or major health functions. Roe would not have let states decide if it had recognized the fetus had a right to life, nor would it have forced states to have an exception for saving the woman's major health functions.

There was no usurpation by the Roe justices. The only usurpers are the ones now in the majority solely because Gorsuch and Barrett were improperly made SC justices by Republicans who would have been willing to lie, cheat, steal, and even hang Pence just to usurp even more power.
When did I ever say a state “had to ban abortion” in the third trimester? And Roe absolutely would have — and did — allow them to recognize a fetal right to life in the third trimester. The words “fetal life” are literally in the text of the Roe decision regarding that point. Seriously, go find a copy of that decision on the web and search for those two words.

And please, just stop with the “usurpation” nonsense; you strip the word of all meaning. Roe imposed a national standard without authority. Dobbs simply returned the matter to the states without imposing any standard. Your assertion is absurd.

When did I ever say a state “had to ban abortion” in the third trimester? And Roe absolutely would have — and did — allow them to recognize a fetal right to life in the third trimester. The words “fetal life” are literally in the text of the Roe decision regarding that point. Seriously, go find a copy of that decision on the web and search for those two words.

Still lying about this eh? You'd think you'd want to let it go now. Since you have never once quoted a single law, pre-RvW's overturning, where a state recognized rights for the unborn, no matter what your agenda-based wordsmithing of convenience says.

"Fetal life" nor "protecting fetal life" do not mean doing so recognizes rights for the unborn.

Do the words "bovine life" mean that cows have rights? Does the fact that states protect other life, like endangered species and forests mean that those species and trees have rights recognized in those states? :rolleyes: Please respond to this, since you like to pretend it hasnt been spelled out for you before.

Still lying about this eh? You'd think you'd want to let it go now. Since you have never once quoted a single law, pre-RvW's overturning, where a state recognized rights for the unborn, no matter what your agenda-based wordsmithing of convenience says.

"Fetal life" nor "protecting fetal life" do not mean doing so recognizes rights for the unborn.

Do the words "bovine life" mean that cows have rights? Does the fact that states protect other life, like endangered species and forests mean that those species and trees have rights recognized in those states? :rolleyes: Please respond to this, since you like to pretend it hasnt been spelled out for you before.
Why on earth would I “let it go?” We’ve just tossed Roe — the worst act of judicial activism in living memory — on the ash heap, This is a time for celebration. And that you’re still here arguing that 50 years ago the majority of the now wonderfully inoperative Roe decision didn’t mean what their words clearly said is, well, icing on a three layer schadenfreude kuchen.

It’s just all so delicious.

Why on earth would I “let it go?” We’ve just tossed Roe — the worst act of judicial activism in living memory — on the ash heap, This is a time for celebration. And that you’re still here arguing that 50 years ago the majority of the now wonderfully inoperative Roe decision didn’t mean what their words clearly said is, well, icing on a three layer schadenfreude kuchen.

It’s just all so delicious.

Has nothing to do with your consistent lie and failure regarding fetal rights. And as long as you persist in dishonestly posting about it, I'll courteously inform the other debaters of your dishonesty and of the truth.

Has nothing to do with your consistent lie and failure regarding fetal rights. And as long as you persist in dishonestly posting about it, I'll courteously inform the other debaters of your dishonesty and of the truth.
:)

The definition of life doesn't change but if you're saying the movement broadly known as "pro choice" can't come to an agreement on the specific arguments for abortion rights, you'd be right.
The science hasn't changed for a very long time, although it could somewhere down the road. Social/political/religious definitions seem abundant. I prefer to skip arguments tailored for a desired outcome on either side of the issue. A little compassion shown by both pro and anti would help.

I'm sure your credibility would reflect that if you actually start posting like you understand it. (y)

Back
Top Bottom