• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've had it with all the different so-called diets in which people indulge...

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
About to go out the door to a Christmas party, but I wanted to post this just before I go...

I'm so over all the diets folks are on these days. I mean, really. When I was growing up, nobody needed to be gluten free, fat free, meat free, etc. What people were was free to eat whatever the hell tasted good. If you don't like "this or that," fine. If one's actually allergic to something, of course, don't eat it. I can get with all that.

But woe be to anyone showing up at my dinner parties talking about they can't eat this and can't eat that, because there's gonna be gluten, sugar, and fat and meat, and starches, and booze and more. Sure and away, among the best ways to get removed from my guest lists is to start spewing some gluten free and all that other crap.

There. That's my gripe.

Merry Christmas. Happy Kwanzaa. Happy Hanukkah. And merry whatever else one might celebrate this time of year. And if you don't celebrate anything, well, just have a merry week or two like the rest of us.

About to go out the door to a Christmas party, but I wanted to post this just before I go...

I'm so over all the diets folks are on these days. I mean, really. When I was growing up, nobody needed to be gluten free, fat free, meat free, etc. What people were was free to eat whatever the hell tasted good. If you don't like "this or that," fine. If one's actually allergic to something, of course, don't eat it. I can get with all that.

But woe be to anyone showing up at my dinner parties talking about they can't eat this and can't eat that, because there's gonna be gluten, sugar, and fat and meat, and starches, and booze and more. Sure and away, among the best ways to get removed from my guest lists is to start spewing some gluten free and all that other crap.

There. That's my gripe.

Yep. I’ve been on a carb restricted diet for a year and a half and have never asked anyone to do anything special, or complained about the food offered. If someone asks, I just tell them to make whatever they were planning and I’ll figure it out when I get there. Even restricting carbs, I usually leave enough left over in my daily budget so I can partake of most things.

There. That's my gripe.

Merry Christmas. Happy Kwanzaa. Happy Hanukkah. And merry whatever else one might celebrate this time of year. And if you don't celebrate anything, well, just have a merry week or two like the rest of us.
I agree. I really do.

But I gotta' correct you on the gluten stuff. Some people really do have gluten intolerance. And it causes them extreme stomach distress. I know one such person. It's the real deal. If she substantively eats gluten, she gets sick. And it took her going to a few docs to get it figured-out, when no one knew what was wrong with her, including her!

Now there may be a gluten-free crowd, that does not have a medical problem with glutens. I can't speak to them. But I can speak to those that have a legit medical issue with glutens.

I also know a guy with a severe peanut allergy, but that's a whole nutter thing! :mrgreen:

Enjot the party! :thumbs:

There. That's my gripe.

That sounds suspiciously familiar to a rant I do. Hmmm. :cool:

There. That's my gripe.

The geniuses have little idea what we should eat they simply claim they do, but since they dont each time the government signs on to advice that later turns out to be bad they lose credibility.

And the whole "exercise is good for you, DO MORE!" that has been pushed since the early 1970's is up in the air too...we exercise a lot more than we used to...we are also fatter.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I agree. I really do.

But I gotta' correct you on the gluten stuff. Some people really do have gluten intolerance. And it causes them extreme stomach distress. I know one such person. It's the real deal. If she substantively eats gluten, she gets sick. And it took her going to a few docs to get it figured-out, when no one knew what was wrong with her, including her!

Now there may be a gluten-free crowd, that does not have a medical problem with glutens. I can't speak to them. But I can speak to those that have a legit medical issue with glutens.

I also know a guy with a severe peanut allergy, but that's a whole nutter thing! :mrgreen:

Enjot the party! :thumbs:

Red:
Okay, fine. Those folks I'll give a pass.

I wonder why nobody when I was growing up had gluten intolerance....Maybe, like AIDS/HIV, it didn't exist? I don't know.

Blue:
TY. It was nice.

The geniuses have little idea what we should eat they simply claim they do, but since they dont each time the government signs on to advice that later turns out to be bad they lose credibility.

And the whole "exercise is good for you, DO MORE!" that has been pushed since the early 1970's is up in the air too...we exercise a lot more than we used to...we are also fatter.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Red:
I don't know who "we" be, but I know it doesn't include me....

...Unless you mean "fatter than we/I was prior to Thanksgiving." I go ahead and enjoy the "bounty" of the holiday season and I don't do quite enough exercise to keep my fat ratio constant while doing so. That's okay, though; I'll be back to normal by the third week of January. (Besides, the only other folks who will notice the difference are my lady friends and my trainer.)

Merry Christmas!

I would suggest that you take a week off what ever "diet" you are on and enjoy a bit of
prohibited food that you usually would not eat. A small reprieve would do you good but come
January 2nd get back on the straight and narrow.

Enjoy! But be reasonable with food choices.

I would suggest that you take a week off what ever "diet" you are on and enjoy a bit of
prohibited food that you usually would not eat. A small reprieve would do you good but come
January 2nd get back on the straight and narrow.

Enjoy! But be reasonable with food choices.

Oh, let me tell you. I've been on the "see food" diet since Thanksgiving. LOL

"Be reasonable." Screw that! It's the holiday season. Someone else can "be reasonable." I'm eating what the "F" I want.

Merry Christmas...Merry whatever you celebrate...Or just be merry.

"when there was no meat, we ate fowl. when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad. and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."

hqdefault.jpg

Hopefully you enjoyed the party.
My motto is "to each his/her own". Let people eat what they want and be happy.
May be expecting a host to cater to all the dietary requirements is a matter of ego. I don't know. Why not pick what you like from the selection and not make a big fuzz?

Oh, let me tell you. I've been on the "see food" diet since Thanksgiving. LOL

"Be reasonable." Screw that! It's the holiday season. Someone else can "be reasonable." I'm eating what the "F" I want.

Merry Christmas...Merry whatever you celebrate...Or just be merry.

OK.... go hog wild if you like! :2razz: I pigged out on Oreo chocolate balls last night. Oh so rich.
Merry Christmas!

People are nuts to listen to their doctors. There is no reason for diabetics not to eat all the sugar they want, people with high blood pressure should consume all the salt they want, people allergic to mercury should eat all the shell fish they want and no one should listen to any doctor saying the person is highly allergic to peanuts. All this dietary restrictions crap is just about bunch of doctors lying to people.

If I've co-opted your rant, I'm sorry. I don't recall having read your "food rant."

OMG. :blink: You didnt co-opt anything from me. I just have a very similar rant I do about the house were the clan have to be annoyed with it. I do it every time when people come over. Please you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. I should be the one groveling if any for the confusion I caused...…. I am not groveling though...…. Dont ask either...... Not happening.... Seriously......Not happening...….Ever. :2razz: Merry Christmas :cheers:

Red:
Okay, fine. Those folks I'll give a pass.

I wonder why nobody when I was growing up had gluten intolerance....Maybe, like AIDS/HIV, it didn't exist? I don't know.

Blue:
TY. It was nice.
I never knew about it either, until just recently. I also thought it was a fad. But then, I never heard of peanut allergies 'till a few years ago either. Now I know a guy that has some kind of injecting device that hits him up with a drug that can keep him out of the hospital, if he accidentally is exposed to peanuts. Even yet, he till ends-up in the E.R. every few years. The poor guy loves Thai food, but panics if he goes to a new restaurant.

People are nuts to listen to their doctors. There is no reason for diabetics not to eat all the sugar they want, people with high blood pressure should consume all the salt they want, people allergic to mercury should eat all the shell fish they want and no one should listen to any doctor saying the person is highly allergic to peanuts. All this dietary restrictions crap is just about bunch of doctors lying to people.
And even worse, is not listening to your body! ;)

I never knew about it either, until just recently. I also thought it was a fad. But then, I never heard of peanut allergies 'till a few years ago either. Now I know a guy that has some kind of injecting device that hits him up with a drug that can keep him out of the hospital, if he accidentally is exposed to peanuts. Even yet, he till ends-up in the E.R. every few years. The poor guy loves Thai food, but panics if he goes to a new restaurant.

Do you mean an injectable epinephrine/Epipen?

As far as allergies are concerned, this is a rather interesting discussion. It seems not even the pros are sure what is going on.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1679775/

There. That's my gripe.

I used to think the same way. It's all well and good until your health starts to decline. When the high blood pressure, diabetes, acid reflux, etc. start to visit, it's either listen to the doctor or start planning your funeral.

I do agree that taking a break for Christmas isn't going to kill you.

I used to think the same way. It's all well and good until your health starts to decline. When the high blood pressure, diabetes, acid reflux, etc. start to visit, it's either listen to the doctor or start planning your funeral.

I do agree that taking a break for Christmas isn't going to kill you.

Acid reflux is another one of those things that, by my recollection, people didn't used to get....They burped or they threw up....And then along came some biochemist who figured out that some combination of "stuff" could stop one from doing so. After figuring that out, someone in turn came up with something that people could get and that the concoction would stop them from having.

Acid reflux is another one of those things that, by my recollection, people didn't used to get....They burped or they threw up....And then along came some biochemist who figured out that some combination of "stuff" could stop one from doing so. After figuring that out, someone in turn came up with something that people could get and that the concoction would stop them from having.

Never heard of “Speedy Alka-Seltzer?”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alka-Seltzer

“Introduced. 1931; 87 years ago
Markets. Worldwide
Previous owners. Miles Laboratories
Tagline. "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz”

Sure, Alka-Seltzer I've heard of. The "old folks" took that for heartburn. I didn't hear of acid reflux until someone invented Nexium.

Hey, hey, don’t badmouth Astra/Zeneca. The missus’ dad was a high muckety-muck there for since forever..........very generous fella. Merry Christmas!

Hey, hey, don’t badmouth Astra/Zeneca. The missus’ dad was a high muckety-muck there for since forever..........very generous fella. Merry Christmas!

LOL...

Merry Christmas!

Do you mean an injectable epinephrine/Epipen?

As far as allergies are concerned, this is a rather interesting discussion. It seems not even the pros are sure what is going on.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1679775/
Yes. Thanks.

I think that may be it. I've never seen it, but know he uses it and always has it on his person. It's been a few years now, but he started carrying it after ending-up in the hospital.

Back
Top Bottom