• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've Finally had it with Microsoft...I want specific suggestions on obtaining a new Operating System.

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hey, this is a request for help/advice from any "computer experts" in the Forum.

I am finally tired of Microsoft using updates to take more and more control over my home computer system.

Every time they do a "update" they add more and more crap that I neither want, nor need onto my computer.

They also keep pushing to control internet search access to the point where the most recent update has eliminated the ability to use any other search engine, limiting access to Microsoft Edge. I can't use duckduckgo anymore.

I only discovered this today when I saw a list of the last places I went to online scrolled along the bottom of the Microsoft Edge search window. I tried to change back to duckduckgo and there is no longer any option to use any other search engine.

I've had it with a company that is trying to monopolize access to the internet through their operating system, as well as constantly adding things to my system I neither want, or need to it during every update.

I am not computer literate. I need suggestions for new operating system options that I can easily upload. Then where I can find those applications necessary to play games, and do other operations on my computer.

Hell, I'd even like to get the last iteration of the Microsoft operating system which is no longer being updated, which would at least let me continue to play all my games, and use those windows products I bought and still work for me (Like Office 2013).

So let me know; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, this is a request for help/advice from any "computer experts" in the Forum.

I am finally tired of Microsoft using updates to take more and more control over my home computer system.

Every time they do a "update" they add more and more crap that I neither want, nor need onto my computer.

They also keep pushing to control internet search access to the point where the most recent update has eliminated the ability to use any other search engine, limiting access to Microsoft Edge. I can't use duckduckgo anymore.

I only discovered this today when I saw a list of the last places I went to online scrolled along the bottom of the Microsoft Edge search window. I tried to change back to duckduckgo and there is no longer any option to use any other search engine.

I've had it with a company that is trying to monopolize access to the internet through their operating system, as well as constantly adding things to my system I neither want, or need to it during every update.

I am not computer literate. I need suggestions for new operating system options that I can easily upload. Then where I can find those applications necessary to play games, and do other operations on my computer.

Hell, I'd even like to get the last iteration of the Microsoft operating system which is no longer being updated, which would at least let me continue to play all my games, and use those windows products I bought and still work for me (Like Office 2013).

Buy an Apple.

Buy an Apple.

That's not helpful.

I have an Alienware game computer. I paid good money for it. I am not going to "buy an Apple."

Now if you have something more "helpful" to suggest, that doesn't involve getting rid of an awesome gaming computer, be my guest. I'm all ears.

Well first, you shouldn't be using Microsoft Edge. If you care about privacy you should use Firefox. Second, you can turn off updates and only allow security updates, for instance.

If you really can't deal with Windows at all, Linux is probably your only option. Gaming sucks with it but it's getting better with Steam.

Either way, you can use both Windows and Linux to peddle your shitty and hateful rhetoric on here.

You seem pretty set with your decision to not use Win10 anymore and you seem to base it on issues you have with Edge. But the fact is, you don't have to use Edge at all...if you don't want to. Just make some other web browser your default and Edge won't do a thing if you don't open it up.

You have issues with trying to switch your Edge search engine to DuckDuckGo. Me? I use that search engine in every browser I use...there are 6 of them...except Edge, where I use Bing. But I just checked the settings and it's still possible to make DuckDuckGo (or any other search engine) the default. Here's a screen shot where I just switched from Bing to DuckDuckGo.

1608282012948.png

All that aside...frankly, I'm not going to try to convince you to stay with Win10 or, even, with Edge. (In my case, I use Firefox least and Edge second least out of all the browsers I use. That's just the choices I've made.) Unfortunately, I'm not well enough experienced to be able to suggest other operating systems, but as far as I know, since you don't want to make the massive hardware/software switch to the Apple world (I don't blame you at all.), Linux is probably the only OS available to you. At least you'll be able to use SOME of the programs and apps that you are accustomed to using under Windows.

Oh...and you were talking about the list of places you went being shown on the bottom of your Edge default page. Yeah...you can get rid of that, too. Just click on the gear icon and you'll get another set of settings just for that page and you can shut off that list and a lot more stuff. Me? I like minimalism, so my default Edge page looks like this.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 022126.jpg

Last edited:
Not a vast amount recently. The biggest recent change was the Edge update, which is changed crap rather than new crap.

Sorry but you're wrong. There is still nothing stopping you installing and using any other browser and even if you do use Edge, nothing stopping you using DuckDuckGo. You can even make it (or anything else) the default start page for the browser.

I've had it with a company that is trying to monopolize access to the internet through their operating system..
All companies try to dominate the market. Microsoft have largely failed on internet access though.

I am not computer literate. I need suggestions for new operating system options that I can easily upload.
There aren't a lot of options that fit in to the simple but fully functional be honest. There are alternatives but anything that avoids Windows but allows you to play current Windows games would require at least a bit of research and basic understanding. By all means looking in to the various Linux options but it wouldn't be a seamless switch.

Get over whatever petty bs you're crying about and keep using windows.

People were enamored with high-tech such that they were left alone of gov reg and taxation, not electing candidates who might do such. They became so large (the top 7 companies pretty much ARE the S&P 500), eliminating and squelching innovation, which typically comes from smaller companies, because the last thing they want is competition. This could be seen coming many yrs ago like a train coming down the railway with the public tying themselves to the tracks. They know more about you than you do and sell that to whomever wants it while controlling what info you get. We get what we deserve.

Your two best options are Apple and Linux.

However, if you want to play games, Microsoft is really the best choice. Linux can do it with an app called proton but it does require some investment and expertise to get things working (with some exception for steam games which can come with a preconfigured proton setting for whatever game). I don't know much about OSX though and maybe it can also do that, I am not sure.

Personally, I just use consoles for the majority of my gaming.

Linux may have a bad reputation for usability, but I would recommend checking out mint and using their usb stick to boot from to look around. https://www.linuxmint.com/ If you decide to try it, give it some time as things can seem a little strange in the Linux world (such as there being no drive letters). but you would get used to that just like you did with windows. Also check out their app catalog, there is something there for almost any common consumer activity from image manipulation to authoring PDF files, etc.

That's not helpful.

I have an Alienware game computer. I paid good money for it. I am not going to "buy an Apple."
Good don't join the icult.

Now if you have something more "helpful" to suggest, that doesn't involve getting rid of an awesome gaming computer, be my guest. I'm all ears.
The only other operating system i know of is Linux can't tell you much about it I've never used it.

Chrome is about the easiest OS out there. Pretty secure too, I don't know if it has ever been hacked. Updates take about 3 minutes, if that. And for the most part the updates are nothing but security updates.. I've been using Chromebooks since day 1, no regrets.

If you are going to keep Windows use 'Brave Browser' if you want decent privacy. It's not perfect, none of them are... But its privacy is better than others, to the point of it being a PITA on certain things, like paying bills on-line, etc..

I dual boot with my Win 10 machine with Linux Mint... It's good, but if you're not computer-literate, then I wouldn't recommend Linux...

Buy an Apple.
lol
Yeah.
That'll really get you out of having MS account hooked into your machine
You will have Apple accounts hooked into your machine.

If someone is serious about privacy, you need to learn how to handle a Linux environment.

All the same, not sure learning Linux'd be easier than figuring out how to use Windows w/o the extra MS BS

gl
I hope you find something which makes you happy

That's not helpful.

No one said get rid of your old computer, use it for your games if you want.
They are correct, your only option is Apple. Personally I don't care for their products because there are still compatibility issues with other platforms which in the business world can and does cause issues and rework.

Linux is your only realistic option without changing hardware, and my experience is that linux on the desktop is for folks who want to tinker with their PCs more, not less.

If you do decide to move hardware, then Apple would be the logical choice. I hate them, but they're stable as you like and generally get out of your way.

Me, I'll eat MS's crap awhile longer in exchange for current drivers and actual support, and where the devs aren't all volunteers overhauling the OS from scratch every 15 minutes.

Have you downloaded the latest Edge? It is a Chrome based browser with Microsoft branding.

And running earlier versions of Windows sans security patches is like running with scissors, naked, through a briar patch.

Use Firefox as your browser.

Use Firefox as your browser.

Yeah. I'd go w/Firefox. I'm thinking of going back with them. Until they get so many subscribers they turn into the rest of them. A very standard marketing ploy. Somewhat long-term, but it works. Every time.

Yeah. I'd go w/Firefox. I'm thinking of going back with them. Until they get so many subscribers they turn into the rest of them. A very standard marketing ploy. Somewhat long-term, but it works. Every time.
I'm still running Win7Pro because it is stable, but I use Firefox and then Malwarebytes for antivirus. I have very few problems.

I'm still running Win7Pro because it is stable, but I use Firefox and then Malwarebytes for antivirus. I have very few problems.

Thanks.

Linux : There are many distributions, but the more popular are Ubuntu and Mint. Manjaro in its many versions is fun too and highly customisable on the visual side. As long as you are a basic user then Linux is okay, as long as you can figure out how to install it. Problems come when you want to go more advanced than running a browser and these problems are related to security and privacy...they basically kill the experience. Oh and having to put in a password for almost everything gets old really fast.

MacOS: New computer and many frustrating things. The basic browser stuff is fine (Just don't user Safari), but again going a bit deeper you find odd and not to logical aspects of the Apple world that make no sense. For example not being able to shut down the computer because you have Safari running or some other stupid thing. Shut down means shut down as I am the admin of this Pc, but Apple thinks otherwise..Gets old fast. Privacy is a myth on Apple.. They steal just as much info from you as Microsoft but claim that they are not..

Windows 10: What you have now and are used too. Change browser if you don't like Edge. Have to admit it is growing on me since it basically became Chrome and has some neat features Chrome does not have. Privacy wise, use Brave or Opera. Firefox is meh, never really recovered from its disasters a decade plus ago and I use to be a massive fan boy. Duckduckgo can be standard search engine in Edge.

There are no great OS out there. They are all annoying in one way or another and the only reason I stick to Windows is games. The day Linux distros actually get easy to use, then I might switch...but things like needing a PhD to simply share files over a Windows network makes the Linux experience annoying. Even installing an app not in the distros repository is hellish depending on what app. Having to use a terminal to get things done is bleh.

Linux : There are many distributions, but the more popular are Ubuntu and Mint. Manjaro in its many versions is fun too and highly customisable on the visual side. As long as you are a basic user then Linux is okay, as long as you can figure out how to install it. Problems come when you want to go more advanced than running a browser and these problems are related to security and privacy...they basically kill the experience. Oh and having to put in a password for almost everything gets old really fast.

MacOS: New computer and many frustrating things. The basic browser stuff is fine (Just don't user Safari), but again going a bit deeper you find odd and not to logical aspects of the Apple world that make no sense. For example not being able to shut down the computer because you have Safari running or some other stupid thing. Shut down means shut down as I am the admin of this Pc, but Apple thinks otherwise..Gets old fast. Privacy is a myth on Apple.. They steal just as much info from you as Microsoft but claim that they are not..

Windows 10: What you have now and are used too. Change browser if you don't like Edge. Have to admit it is growing on me since it basically became Chrome and has some neat features Chrome does not have. Privacy wise, use Brave or Opera. Firefox is meh, never really recovered from its disasters a decade plus ago and I use to be a massive fan boy. Duckduckgo can be standard search engine in Edge.

There are no great OS out there. They are all annoying in one way or another and the only reason I stick to Windows is games. The day Linux distros actually get easy to use, then I might switch...but things like needing a PhD to simply share files over a Windows network makes the Linux experience annoying. Even installing an app not in the distros repository is hellish depending on what app. Having to use a terminal to get things done is bleh.

The thing is, when you say what you do about Linux, a smile of superiority comes over Linux lovers. They want it that way to keep out the lower class of users that want things made easy. As complicated as Linux was when it first came out, the level of difficulty was a gateway that only the best could get through and a certain group of user mentality loved making that grade. It set them apart from others. They're special.

I recommend TrumpOS. It sells all your data to the Trump campaign, includes Sedition Solitaire and includes a webcam app that lets you use Rudy, Sidney or Eric as your avatar. And best of all, the Start Menu is replaced with Donald Trump’s Twitter feed. (Functionality currently broken.)

Do you have updates turned off?

If you do, you'll still get the occasional update, because you don't actually own your OS. You just have a license to use it, so they can update whenever the please. However, turning off updates stops about 90% of them. As far as the big changes that come anyway, you're more or less hosed.

The thing is, when you say what you do about Linux, a smile of superiority comes over Linux lovers. They want it that way to keep out the lower class of users that want things made easy. As complicated as Linux was when it first came out, the level of difficulty was a gateway that only the best could get through and a certain group of user mentality loved making that grade. It set them apart from others. They're special.

Yeah, but they spin around and shit when you make fun of Linux.

Try it sometime. "Yeah, I thought about Linux, but then I decided I might want to occasionally run software, play a game, that sort of thing."

Well first, you shouldn't be using Microsoft Edge. If you care about privacy you should use Firefox. Second, you can turn off updates and only allow security updates, for instance.

If you really can't deal with Windows at all, Linux is probably your only option. Gaming sucks with it but it's getting better with Steam.

Either way, you can use both Windows and Linux to peddle your shitty and hateful rhetoric on here.
Stuck the landing!

Back
Top Bottom