• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've been cloned!!!

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Actually, my credit card was cloned. The credit card bank called to let me know that somebody had cloned the card and attempted to charge $3,806.10 worth of merchandise. The question is, how the heck were they able to get all the numbers? My fear is could they also have gotten my drivers' license number? I heard that there is a device that captures data if you get close enough to the person. How do I protect myself in the future from something like this from occurring? I read somewhere that wrapping the card in aluminum foil will help?

Bummer. Could it have been an online purchase?

Actually, my credit card was cloned. The credit card bank called to let me know that somebody had cloned the card and attempted to charge $3,806.10 worth of merchandise. The question is, how the heck were they able to get all the numbers? My fear is could they also have gotten my drivers' license number? I heard that there is a device that captures data if you get close enough to the person. How do I protect myself in the future from something like this from occurring? I read somewhere that wrapping the card in aluminum foil will help?

Credit cards can't be captured from a distance. That's RFID. You only need to worry about them either getting a hold of it physically, or just getting the details online.

Yes. Also, put a rabbit foot necklace around it for good luck

I don't know if this is true for all cards, but I have an electron visa card. If someone knew my name, my card number and the security code that is 3 letters, he could make purchases off my card without needing my card. That's why I keep 3 cards from 3 separate banks and only use 1 for online payments. All online payments. And unless I need to make an online payment, I never have any proper sum of money on it.

there are devices that can be put on the slot that you use to slide your card in at ATMs and Gas Pumps that copy the magnetic strip on your card so then it can be cloned

Card skimmers at gas pumps, ATMs can capture your cash | jacksonville.com

Whoever "They" are, if they are good, you're toast.

Back
Top Bottom