• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'It's what everybody has to do': Public responds as Omaha mask mandate goes into effect

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
'It's what everybody has to do': Public responds as Omaha mask mandate goes into effect

Omaha's City Council unanimously approved a mask mandate

OMAHA, Neb. —
Following hours of testimony Tuesday, Omaha's City Council approved a mask mandate, effective immediately for the city.

"Hopefully it will just, you know, push people in the right direction to do the right thing. I mean, that's all you can hope for, because we need people to start doing the right thing or we're never going to get rid of this," said Tineaka Lollar.

Advertisement
Many people KETV Newswatch 7 spoke with in the Old Market supported the mandate.

"It's what everybody has to do to overcome what's going on," said Jamison Bennett.

Supporters believe the mandate will motivate people to wear masks.

"I talked to several people who said 'if they tell me to wear a mask, I'll weak a mask'," said David Thompson.

Many said while masks can be uncomfortable, they believe a mandate is the way to slow the spread of COVID-19.

"Masks are cheap. Better than getting COVID. Better than giving COVID to somebody. I would feel terrible," said Sheri Moss.

The mandate runs through Sept. 15. People 5 and older must wear a mask in indoor spaces open to the public. There are exceptions, such as when people are eating or drinking, or when a person is exercising, so long as 6 feet of distance is maintained.

The mandate does not apply to people with medical conditions or disabilities that make wearing a mask unreasonable.

The City Council heard public comment both for and against the mandate.

"I sat in here, and I've listened to people talk about 'we are the people.' Well, they're the people too. All of us are the people. What we need to do is decide among ourselves what we need to do to move this thing forward in a logical way," said City Council Member Ben Gray.

Ultimately, the emergency ordinance passed unanimously, with some amendments, despite reticence on the part of some council members.

"A 'no' today vote wouldn't stop this from passing, therefore I do appreciate the other council members, and councilman Harding, for working on how can we make this better," said Aimee Melton.

Melton said she would rather people wear masks voluntarily but did vote for the mandate.

Moments after the ordinance passed, a printable poster became available on the city's website.

Several people who work in the Old Market praised the move.

"I think it's a great idea. I wish it would have happened sooner," said Callie Rhoads, who works at the Tavern Pub.
========================================================================
It's about time people adopted common sense. It may be uncoformtable to wear a mask, but that's a lot better than receiving or giving COVID-19. Giving up some of your civil liberties in order to avoid a plague sounds good to me.

Omaha's City Council unanimously approved a mask mandate

OMAHA, Neb. —
Following hours of testimony Tuesday, Omaha's City Council approved a mask mandate, effective immediately for the city.

"Hopefully it will just, you know, push people in the right direction to do the right thing. I mean, that's all you can hope for, because we need people to start doing the right thing or we're never going to get rid of this," said Tineaka Lollar.

Advertisement
Many people KETV Newswatch 7 spoke with in the Old Market supported the mandate.

"It's what everybody has to do to overcome what's going on," said Jamison Bennett.

Supporters believe the mandate will motivate people to wear masks.

"I talked to several people who said 'if they tell me to wear a mask, I'll weak a mask'," said David Thompson.

Many said while masks can be uncomfortable, they believe a mandate is the way to slow the spread of COVID-19.

"Masks are cheap. Better than getting COVID. Better than giving COVID to somebody. I would feel terrible," said Sheri Moss.

The mandate runs through Sept. 15. People 5 and older must wear a mask in indoor spaces open to the public. There are exceptions, such as when people are eating or drinking, or when a person is exercising, so long as 6 feet of distance is maintained.

The mandate does not apply to people with medical conditions or disabilities that make wearing a mask unreasonable.

The City Council heard public comment both for and against the mandate.

"I sat in here, and I've listened to people talk about 'we are the people.' Well, they're the people too. All of us are the people. What we need to do is decide among ourselves what we need to do to move this thing forward in a logical way," said City Council Member Ben Gray.

Ultimately, the emergency ordinance passed unanimously, with some amendments, despite reticence on the part of some council members.

"A 'no' today vote wouldn't stop this from passing, therefore I do appreciate the other council members, and councilman Harding, for working on how can we make this better," said Aimee Melton.

Melton said she would rather people wear masks voluntarily but did vote for the mandate.

Moments after the ordinance passed, a printable poster became available on the city's website.

Several people who work in the Old Market praised the move.

"I think it's a great idea. I wish it would have happened sooner," said Callie Rhoads, who works at the Tavern Pub.
========================================================================
It's about time people adopted common sense. It may be uncoformtable to wear a mask, but that's a lot better than receiving or giving COVID-19. Giving up some of your civil liberties in order to avoid a plague sounds good to me.

Omaha. An island in a sea of Red.

Well... People like this will be pissed.

I was in Target, REI and Home depot the other day. !00% of the people had masks on. I think we are going to see less and less of these nutty people as more folks start to do the right thing. I'm going back to work on the 16th. The last time I was there I was the only person who wore a mask. Now it's required by everyone. We had a couple guys on the staff who threatened to quit if they had to wear masks but they they are indeed complying and have stopped complaining. Eventually these people will cry themselves to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom