• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's time for the US to dump our archaic system of weights and measures...

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
....and join the rest of the world using metric.

A system based on the length of an English king's foot, and the length of three barleycorn, really? What the heck is a barleycorn, anyway? Is it related to John Barleycorn, who must have had something to do with developing "standard" measure. There are 12 inches in a foot, three feet in a yard, how many yards in a mile, does anyone even know?

A system that requires a set of wrenches labeled 3/8, 1/16, and so on, why? If the 3/8 is too small, and the 1/2 is too big, which one do you use? Quick! Grab the right one! Let's see, 3/8 = 6/16, and 1/2 = 8/16, so you need the 7/16. Why go through all of that? If the 8 is too small, and the 10 is too big, then grab the 9. How's that for simplicity? Even a first grader can figure that out.

A pint's a pound the world around? Nope. In most of the world, a liter is a kilogram.

or, 1,000 cc if you prefer.

Remember the lunar craft that crashed because some of the people working on the trajectories and so on were using yards? Really, yards? Were they working out their calculations on slide rules as well?

Some things belong in the museum. One of them is the old worn out system of weights and measures.

A system based on the length of an English king's foot, and the length of three barleycorn, really? What the heck is a barleycorn, anyway? Is it related to John Barleycorn, who must have had something to do with developing "standard" measure. There are 12 inches in a foot, three feet in a yard, how many yards in a mile, does anyone even know?

A system that requires a set of wrenches labeled 3/8, 1/16, and so on, why? If the 3/8 is too small, and the 1/2 is too big, which one do you use? Quick! Grab the right one! Let's see, 3/8 = 6/16, and 1/2 = 8/16, so you need the 7/16. Why go through all of that? If the 8 is too small, and the 10 is too big, then grab the 9. How's that for simplicity? Even a first grader can figure that out.

A pint's a pound the world around? Nope. In most of the world, a liter is a kilogram.

Remember the lunar craft that crashed because some of the people working on the trajectories and so on were using yards? Really, yards? Were they working out their calculations on slide rules as well?

Some things belong in the museum. One of them is the old worn out system of weights and measures.

It works fine for me, I have no problem working in fractions and percentages . . . stop using it if you don't want to.

I don't disagree with you, but I have recently posted this in a similar thread. Think about the logistical nightmare that would be for the US government. Think about the re-education, the re manufacturing of road signs, etc. Right now the United States is in a budget crunch, with high spending and low profits. If we were in a good economic time, I would be able to support this, but when 7.6+ is unemployed, even more underemployed, millions on food stamps, the US dropping in education, there are more important areas to spend our money at this time.

I disagree with the OP. Only an amateur who shouldn't be allowed to play with tools without their mommy present actually spends a lot of time doing the math. If one doesn't work, you fling it across the room and try the next one, and so forth until you find one that works. If you have not found it in 4 tries you just go for the vise-grips like a real "Merican.

:2usflag:

I disagree with the OP. Only an amateur who shouldn't be allowed to play with tools without their mommy present actually spends a lot of time doing the math. If one doesn't work, you fling it across the room and try the next one, and so forth until you find one that works. If you have not found it in 4 tries you just go for the vise-grips like a real "Merican.

:2usflag:

Yep. Common folk will waste their time doing hard math for simple things while scientists, who use metric, will use simple math to do complex things.

Ah another other-side-of-the-ruler fan.

Maybe the rest of the world should quit being so difficult. 8)

Yep. Common folk will waste their time doing hard math for simple things while scientists, who use metric, will use simple math to do complex things.

Yada Yada Yada lab coats are just moo moo's with a collar. Metric is not the simple way to do things. We would have no need for fractions if we used the metric system, thereby forcing the flashcard industry to have to layoff half its workers. Tis all a commie plot to breed discontent and always has been.

I don't disagree with you, but I have recently posted this in a similar thread. Think about the logistical nightmare that would be for the US government. Think about the re-education, the re manufacturing of road signs, etc. Right now the United States is in a budget crunch, with high spending and low profits. If we were in a good economic time, I would be able to support this, but when 7.6+ is unemployed, even more underemployed, millions on food stamps, the US dropping in education, there are more important areas to spend our money at this time.

The solution is to put those out of work people to work making new road signs.

We also need to revise the encyclopedias and text books to get rid of all of the "It is 70 miles (100 kilometers) from here to Nirvana."

The solution is to put those out of work people to work making new road signs.

We also need to revise the encyclopedias and text books to get rid of all of the "It is 70 miles (100 kilometers) from here to Nirvana."

Temporary jobs that won't pay off in the long run. Yeah we put a few people back to work but we go billions more into debt.

Temporary jobs that won't pay off in the long run. Yeah we put a few people back to work but we go billions more into debt.

So we start a small sign making operation, employ a few people, pay for it a little at a time. That way, the jobs won't be temporary, as the first ones will have worn out before the last ones are complete.

We have been stuck with a 19th. century system of weights and measures for a long time. It will take a while to get into the modern world anyway.

So we start a small sign making operation, employ a few people, pay for it a little at a time. That way, the jobs won't be temporary, as the first ones will have worn out before the last ones are complete.

We have been stuck with a 19th. century system of weights and measures for a long time. It will take a while to get into the modern world anyway.

That makes no sense, how can we have half the nation running on one form, the rest running on another.

That makes no sense, how can we have half the nation running on one form, the rest running on another.
We'd have to make the change gradually. Trying to jump ahead all at once would be too difficult, and would confuse people who are resistant to change.

Pick me up a 3.81 x 8.80 is not easier than pick me up a 2 x 4 to me. Of course that is in nominal size, actually a 1.5 x 3.5 piece of lumber, but that also occurs in the metric system, a nominal 25 x 50 (about like a 1 x 2) is really a 20 x 45.

Can we keep Fahrenheit? I just can't grasp Celsius. Sounds more logical but hard to convert.

2-liter bottle, anyone?

We'd have to make the change gradually. Trying to jump ahead all at once would be too difficult, and would confuse people who are resistant to change.

And having conflicting systems of measuring won't confuse people?

A metric system is easier, by design. Jobs that don't change their tools/parts, probably will just keep the units they're already using; it's not like the imperial system will be illegal.

If we do it slowly over several decades it shouldn't cost too much though we'll have to assist some industries to switch at the same time as others so things will still fit together properly. If we try to rush it, it'll not only be a nightmare of mistakes, it'll be expensive, too.

If we do it slowly over several decades it shouldn't cost too much though we'll have to assist some industries to switch at the same time as others so things will still fit together properly. If we try to rush it, it'll not only be a nightmare of mistakes, it'll be expensive, too.

Most industries already use metric since we are in a global market. It is mostly in local areas with 50+ year olds running businesses that still use old type measurements. Lets put it this way.. if any American company wants to trade overseas.. even with Canada, or Mexico.. then coming with inches and pounds aint gonna go down well.

But yes it will take generations. My fathers generation still talk inches when it comes to buying pieces of wood and plumbing equipment, even though the official measurements on the items is in metric. Confuses the hell out of me when my father says we need some 2 inch planks for something..

It has to do with the older generation and their inability to adapt often. Look at the UK, where they also have tried to get rid of their stones and pounds and inches crap,... it is not easy when you have a conservative part of the population who dont want changes at all. That is why you start with the young generation and slowly push it through over 30+ years. But you also need the help of media.. and in the UK the media aint helping. Just today I learned on Sky News that a British minister has gotten diabetes and lost 2 stone... wtf is 2 stone? I got to 2 stones outside my window.. is that what she lost?

No metric is the only way forward, and anyone sticking to the old ways will be left behind.

Most industries already use metric since we are in a global market. It is mostly in local areas with 50+ year olds running businesses that still use old type measurements. Lets put it this way.. if any American company wants to trade overseas.. even with Canada, or Mexico.. then coming with inches and pounds aint gonna go down well.

But yes it will take generations. My fathers generation still talk inches when it comes to buying pieces of wood and plumbing equipment, even though the official measurements on the items is in metric. Confuses the hell out of me when my father says we need some 2 inch planks for something..

It has to do with the older generation and their inability to adapt often. Look at the UK, where they also have tried to get rid of their stones and pounds and inches crap,... it is not easy when you have a conservative part of the population who dont want changes at all. That is why you start with the young generation and slowly push it through over 30+ years. But you also need the help of media.. and in the UK the media aint helping. Just today I learned on Sky News that a British minister has gotten diabetes and lost 2 stone... wtf is 2 stone? I got to 2 stones outside my window.. is that what she lost?

No metric is the only way forward, and anyone sticking to the old ways will be left behind.

Working in the engineering industry as I do, I work with 16yr old apprentices, right up to 50+ near on retirement types and near on most use what is convenient. If a measurement falls closer to a metric value that is what they call out and vise- versa. I would be inclined to worry more if an engineer was not familiar with both systems of measurement, than anything else.

Paul

Can we keep Fahrenheit? I just can't grasp Celsius. Sounds more logical but hard to convert.

The reason why I like Fahrenheit is because really hot is 100 degrees F. That just feels right to me.

Also, I think that Fahrenheit is more graduated than Celsius is, but I don't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom