• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's time for #NeverTrump to #AdoptASenator

You can partially thank Obama for creating an imperial presidency. You overlook that Congress and the Supreme Court serves as a "brake" to the President. I don't plan on voting for T-Rump. However, I'm CERTAINLY not voting for Clinton.

Yeah somehow this was going to be Obamas fault :roll:

You can partially thank Obama for creating an imperial presidency. You overlook that Congress and the Supreme Court serves as a "brake" to the President. I don't plan on voting for T-Rump. However, I'm CERTAINLY not voting for Clinton.

Hasn't the presidency been gradually gaining more power since 1900?

I will only speak for myself. But I want the strongest possible conservative faction possible inside the Republican party. Going forward, I'm treating this as an off-year election, disengaging from the Presidential race. My current plans are to leave the top of the ballot blank. I am however persuadable by a Libertarian candidate for the top of the ticket.

I hope you stick to your firm resolution on that.

Sadly we heard much the same sort of sentiment right here four years ago from people who had carped whined cried and bitched about Mittens but in the end they voted for him.

You know what the say.... Democrats fall in love .... Republicans fall in line. And that line is forming on the right and they will gladly join in and pull that TRUMP lever in November.

I disagree. They were/are Conservatives left with no place to turn. Cruz was the last man standing on matters of small government and individual liberties.
Cruz represents a government small enough to fit inside everyone's bedroom.

Cruz represents a government small enough to fit inside everyone's bedroom.

I get that. I'm not a big fan of the Religious Right either. But Cruz is also a Constitutional Conservative, as am I. Trump isn't a Conservative in ANY sense. I can deal with Cruz's praying, and occasional sky piloting, as long as he adheres to the Constitution and the Rule of Law.

I have no faith that an egomaniac like Trump can. If you thought Obama abused the EO system...wait until Trump gets a "pen and a phone".

You seem to have as much faith in your fellow GOP'rs as I have a lack of same.
I'm not sure I would call it "having faith" in someone to argue that, under pressure, they will abandon their beliefs for the convenience of the moment.

Around 20% to a third of the GOP primary electorate said they would refuse to vote for Trump. We void probably safely average that and then cut it in half for a 13% estimate. That ought to be enough to sink Trump and let us start to rebuild.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I disagree. They were/are Conservatives left with no place to turn. Cruz was the last man standing on matters of small government and individual liberties.
I'm looking into Gary Johnston and Austin Petersen.

so you ignore the fact that we can have 25 years or more of a left wing dominated supreme court that conservatives -if they get power again-have the disgusting habit of respecting the crappy precedent liberal courts create?

As opposed to the same, but also seeking out our beliefs, and witnessing the wrecking of the GOP and conservative movement in such a way as to leave us even worse off, facing not 25 years, but 50? No thanks. :)

Hasn't the presidency been gradually gaining more power since 1900?
In the 90's Clinton had to complain that he was "Still Relevant".

As opposed to the same, but also seeking out our beliefs, and witnessing the wrecking of the GOP and conservative movement in such a way as to leave us even worse off, facing not 25 years, but 50? No thanks. :)

so its your learned position, the country is better off having Hilary as president?

so its your learned position, the country is better off having Hilary as president?
In the long term, tragically, I think we are less harmed. I wouldn't say "better off", as that implies positive motion. Rather, the worst will be mitigated, and we will be able to have a recovery sooner.

In the long term, tragically, I think we are less harmed. I wouldn't say "better off", as that implies positive motion. Rather, the worst will be mitigated, and we will be able to have a recovery sooner.

not if we get three more Kagans on the court

not if we get three more Kagans on the court
I'll trade dealing not being able to switch three Kagans out for three Souters over the next two decades in return for avoiding ten more Kagans over the next six. It's a ****ty choice, but it's where the Trump people put us.

Last edited:
I don't see why they would want one. Standing by Cruz appeared to be a matter of principle. They lost sure, but on principle could they actually vote FOR Trump? A man who represents everything they despise? I don't know.
That's the dilemna, the shoe is on the other foot: the establishment has always urged and expected the supporters of the "also rans" to rally behind the chosen candidate. Ron Paul was a prime example of that as was McCain (to a lesser extent in 2000), as well as Reagen in '76, and it appears Bernie Sanders will be another on the other side. The thing about the pubs this year is that it is the establishment that will, or won't, do the rallying. I can't say I know the details, but I think the closest historical precedent might be Goldwater in '64.

What is also interesting about this election cycle, the pubs at any rate, was how little traction or support establishment candidates received. Jeb Bush never gained any, and Kasich got very little. Hell, Marco Rubio was even proffered as "establishment" though he got his Senate seat as a nominal teapartier. He of course played ball, but it destroyed him even in his home state. Even Kasich managed that and he's fourth in delegate count.

For the first time in my lifetime, one of the major parties has nominated someone who wasn't in "the inner circle" or supported by them. Trump would not have been my first choice for such a distinction, but you have to give the man credit for pulling it off.

That is his his greatest strength this election cycle: many people want something other than the usual suspects offered by the professional political class. Of course, people always say that but still dutifully vote for the designated annointed ones. Will this year be any different? I highly doubt it, but it is prooving to being very interesting.

In an odd sort of way, yes. Apparently, we need to go through a few more years of hoplessness and productive citizens being scorned, marginalized and overtaxed before there's even a chance of hope and change. Probably not in my lifetime, especially with SCOTUS going bat**** crazy liberal. Scalia was the last man standing, and any possibility of checks on federal overreach died with him. I expect Heller to be reversed with the new court, which returns us to the dark ages of the 20th century regarding individual rights. Hell, the individual mandate was upheld, which opens the possibility of paying an income tax on no income. What percentage is that? Apparently, the feds have the ability to get blood from a stone, or at least expect it.

Dark times, dark times indeed.

In an odd sort of way, yes. Apparently, we need to go through a few more years of hoplessness and productive citizens being scorned, marginalized and overtaxed before there's even a chance of hope and change. Probably not in my lifetime, especially with SCOTUS going bat**** crazy liberal. Scalia was the last man standing, and any possibility of checks on federal overreach died with him. I expect Heller to be reversed with the new court, which returns us to the dark ages of the 20th century regarding individual rights. Hell, the individual mandate was upheld, which opens the possibility of paying an income tax on no income. What percentage is that? Apparently, the feds have the ability to get blood from a stone, or at least expect it.

Dark times, dark times indeed.

as the Gremlin broker said-invest in canned goods and shotguns!

Back
Top Bottom