• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

It's time for compulsory service

Strangelove

Reaction score
I was just debating with a teenage twit on the 'come in and say hi' thread. (nameless), and it occurred to me that one can only know suffering when one suffers. This kid (like so many pampered lilberals) are quite willing to criticize the actions of people in uniform from 7000 miles away, far from the reality of Syrian (and other) terrorists
cutting heads off innocent people, flying bullets, the smell of blood and **** when your buddy's torso gets blown apart by a bomb planted by an Arab coward.

There are many other beneficial reasons for compulsory service for teenagers of high school age:

-Discipline
-Accountability
-Responsibility
-Teamwork
-Family (for those kids from broken or abusive homes)
-National identity (nobody is special at BCT--nobody is white brown or black---everyone is GREEN)

I'm really sick of staple-faced punks on skateboards running around with 'no blood for oil' posters when they don't know what they're talking about .

Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing the good guys die. Throw a few hippes in uniform and let them get killed for a change.

While I agree with your position wholeheartedly about suffering and our men/women in uniform, there are quite a few teenagers here as there are the old folks (ahem Squawker :p ) that may have issue with your position.

My question to you - Everytime someone disagrees with you, do you feel it quality discussion/debate to call them twits or arrogant?

Just wondering...

vauge said:
My question to you - Everytime someone disagrees with you, do you feel it quality discussion/debate to call them twits or arrogant?

Just wondering...

look, when a teenager refers to NPR as a 'non-biased news source', that is the sign of naiivete'......and then calls me a 'bigot' for using the term 'mud-house', ....you tell me who is the name caller? Whay aren't you asking him that question? I love how people just overlook the history of how these debates begin. Somehow, the one who responds is the violator :rofl

'just wondering'...

Sorry, but teenagers today are poorly educated but have access to opinions they haven't earned.

Last edited:
Was just asking... please take no offense.

Sorry, but teenagers today are poorly educated but have access to opinions they haven't earned.

This is where we disagree. I think that teenagers have just as much of an opinion as anyone else. Regardless of actual education. Opinions are not "earned", but respect can be attained from them.

Strangelove said:
There are many other beneficial reasons for compulsory service for teenagers of high school age:
So, are you suggesting mandatory service starting at 14-15 or are you saying mandatory service at 18?

shuamort said:
So, are you suggesting mandatory service starting at 14-15 or are you saying mandatory service at 18?

come on. :rolleyes:

Of course I mean 18. And I don't neccessarily mean military service, although I think that would be great.

Maybe some form of civic service, but something where you are 'owned' as it were, by the U.S. for maybe 2 years.

Many countries have compulsory service. I think it has other added benefits. You would meet people from parts of the country you would not normally interact with. You could learn to appreciate people with far different viewpoints. but most Importantly, you would think like as Americans, because you would be forced to rely on each other.

If your country called you, to fight.....would you go?

I would, and I have a lot to lose.

vauge said:
I think that teenagers have just as much of an opinion as anyone else. Regardless of actual education. Opinions are not "earned", but respect can be attained from them.

Yes, we sharply disagree.

Teenagers have the right to their opinions.

They do not have the right to have their opinions taken seriously.

classic is 'bush is Hitler' ---I see it literally everywhere, websites, bumper stickers, t-shirts, everywhere.

Do you seriously contemplate the possibility that Bush ='s Hitler?.....either in intent or in deed?

Please.

Strangelove said:
Sorry, it was vague. I just wanted to make sure I understood your viewpoint.
Strangelove said:
If your country called you, to fight.....would you go?

I would, and I have a lot to lose.
Personal question, well, I can't. Obviously. In four years (and a week) I'll be 36 so I'll be out of the requirements age anyway.

P.S. It's a wise man who realizes he knows nothing.

Strangelove said:
Teenagers have the right to their opinions.

They do not have the right to have their opinions taken seriously.

For that matter, no one has the "right" to be taken seriously. That has to be earned. Does it not? Or does only age determine legitimacy?

classic is 'bush is Hitler' ---I see it literally everywhere, websites, bumper stickers, t-shirts, everywhere.

There are adults wearing them as well. Again, has nothing to do with age.

vauge said:
For that matter, no one has the "right" to be taken seriously. That has to be earned. Does it not? Or does only age determine legitimacy?

no, not 'only' age.

A question:(well, two)

What is the difference between intelligence and wisdom?

Do you believe a 17 year old has wisdom?

a 17 year old lives at home, has someone else paying the bills, has not had to fight for anything (certainly not in this spoiled country)....and makes complaining an art form.
( a little hyperbole there :D )

....really, this should be obvious.

Strangelove said:

I always thought a more appropriate question was...

What's the difference between intelligence and common sense?

I guarantee you one does not always go hand in hand with the other.

I'm a 'dreaded" liberal, who grew up in a republican family, but have lived long enough, and served my country, to see the error of my earlier republican ways.

However, I still hold what I believe are 'conservative' beliefs, and mandatory service at the age of 18 is certainly one of them...whether military, social work, day care...etc..etc.

As long as there are NO exceptions to the rules...this means everyone...The rich, the poor, the invalid, and Senators and Congressmen sons and daughters....otherwise, it's just another attack on the less 'well-to-do.'

Strangelove said:
no, not 'only' age.

A question:(well, two)

Do you believe a 17 year old has wisdom?

a 17 year old lives at home, has someone else paying the bills, has not had to fight for anything (certainly not in this spoiled country)....and makes complaining an art form.
( a little hyperbole there :D )

....really, this should be obvious.
Are you suggesting that, because of your transformation to conservatism, you have wisdom? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you have no right to force it on anyone. Many actually do know what they're talking about. I'm a teen, I go to high school, granted I see idiots around every corner, but there are also many smart ones. And if a teen is politically active, they are more likely to be intelligent, regardless of whether you agree with their position or not. Frankly, your opinions about anything entail no more wisdom than anyone else's opinions.

there are quite a few teenagers here as there are the old folks (ahem Squawker ) that may have issue with your position.
Ah, vauge -- I'll forgive you for that little
brainfart.gif

I don't want some pansy, asshole who hates the military and our country covering my back. No draft, ever again.

Squawker said:
Ah, vauge -- I'll forgive you for that little
brainfart.gif

I don't want some pansy, asshole who hates the military and our country covering my back. No draft, ever again.
Not all who oppose the war are 'pansys' as you claim. Perhaps you should stop making this generalization.

Not all who oppose the war are 'pansys' as you claim. Perhaps you should stop making this generalization.
Perhaps you don't know what you are talking about.

Squawker said:
Perhaps you don't know what you are talking about.

Well perhaps you don't know what you are talking about. You can't say all who oppose the war are pansies, have you met every anti-war person in the western world? If not how can you push them in one group. It's like me saying everyone in the Navy is a homosexual, not true but it is generalization like the one u've made.

Generalisations are dangerous, life is never that black and white.

Well perhaps you don't know what you are talking about. You can't say all who oppose the war are pansies,
Did I say that? This is what I said.
Some, is not all, if you want to pick on words. When someones life is on the line, I don't want a person who is not committed to the mission involved, period. What I think of the coward isn't relevant.

Squawker said:
Did I say that? This is what I said. Some, is not all, if you want to pick on words. When someones life is on the line, I don't want a person who is not committed to the mission involved, period. What I think of the coward isn't relevant.
Why is one automatically, in your eyes, a coward if one opposes war? How war hungry are you, Squawk? To me, a protestor fighting for what he believes in is just as brave as any soldier fighting for what he believes in. And here I was thinking that the older you get, the more wise you become. This seems to not always be the case...

Strangelove said:
I was just debating with a teenage twit on the 'come in and say hi' thread. (nameless), and it occurred to me that one can only know suffering when one suffers. This kid (like so many pampered lilberals) are quite willing to criticize the actions of people in uniform from 7000 miles away, far from the reality of Syrian (and other) terrorists
cutting heads off innocent people, flying bullets, the smell of blood and **** when your buddy's torso gets blown apart by a bomb planted by an Arab coward.

-Discipline
-Accountability
-Responsibility
-Teamwork
-Family (for those kids from broken or abusive homes)
-National identity (nobody is special at BCT--nobody is white brown or black---everyone is GREEN)

I'm really sick of staple-faced punks on skateboards running around with 'no blood for oil' posters when they don't know what they're talking about .

Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing the good guys die. Throw a few hippes in uniform and let them get killed for a change.
Freedom is not for everyone! Many don't know the principle and others are preventing Freedom from others for their own purposes.

Achi, Welcome to Debate Politics! :wcm
Squawker "When someones life is on the line, I don't want a person who is not committed to the mission involved, period."

Anomoly "Why is one automatically, in your eyes, a coward if one opposes war? How war hungry are you, Squawk? To me, a protestor fighting for what he believes in is just as brave as any soldier fighting for what he believes in."

Anomoly, these are two completely different issues - yet somehow you brought them together. Squawker was saying that a non-volunteer should not be fighting our war, because that person might not be as committed to the act and coward out. You somehow twisted that into protestors that oppose the war. Just because someone didn't volunteer to be in the military doesn't mean that they are automatically protestor.

vauge said:
Anomoly, these are two completely different issues - yet somehow you brought them together. You somehow twisted that...
Twisted logic twists issues.

Hoot said:
As long as there are NO exceptions to the rules...this means everyone...The rich, the poor, the invalid, and Senators and Congressmen sons and daughters....otherwise, it's just another attack on the less 'well-to-do.'

Agreed. NO EXCEPTIONS.

My point is only that by serving one's country should one criticize it.

Of course, we have the right to criticize. I'm speaking about moral value only.

Strangelove said:
Agreed. NO EXCEPTIONS.

My point is only that by serving one's country should one criticize it.

Of course, we have the right to criticize. I'm speaking about moral value only.
Wait, by NO EXCEPTIONS. Are you including the gays and lesbians that you don't believe should serve over in the other thread or not?

Back
Top Bottom