• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's Our Fault

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I see a lot of people complaining about politicians. They say "Oh politicians are useless, they dont do anything for us!" I see more and more people just deriding their political system because it does something or doesn't do something, and to me this is absolutely depressing because it misses a point the size of a small country.

The vast majority of political figures are elected, meaning WE put them there. If we have issues with how they act, then perhaps we shouldnt elect them. Whenever I bring this point up, the usually response is "Oh those liberals/conservatives/democrats/republicans have screwed it up for people who DO try to change things!"

I cant help but wonder if we actually ENJOY an extremely polar political climate where all we do is argue.

I see a lot of people complaining about politicians. They say "Oh politicians are useless, they dont do anything for us!" I see more and more people just deriding their political system because it does something or doesn't do something, and to me this is absolutely depressing because it misses a point the size of a small country.

The vast majority of political figures are elected, meaning WE put them there. If we have issues with how they act, then perhaps we shouldnt elect them. Whenever I bring this point up, the usually response is "Oh those liberals/conservatives/democrats/republicans have screwed it up for people who DO try to change things!"

I cant help but wonder if we actually ENJOY an extremely polar political climate where all we do is argue.

I don't particularly like it but we aren't a small country.
Not as big as others in population but big enough where your vote is insignificant.
With the fed taking more and more power, that essentially waters down any say you have.

I have the right to bitch because so many of you have handled this place like your own spoils system by pooling your votes with "the person who gives me the most."

Well, you've pointed out a problem. Where's your solution?

I write my congressmen at the state and federal level; I write opinion letters to the editor; I talk to family and friends because I have more time to familiarize myself with issues; I vote; I make phone calls; I occasionally (not often) donate.

So, tell me, what's the solution?

The truth is we aren't as democratic as we'd like to believe. We're slowly finding that our Republic doesn't work all that well. (But, it's the best there is; that I don't doubt.)

Like them or not the Tea Party do have the right idea

Organize a group of people outside the two main political parties in your area, so that your voices are heard on a collective basis. One person is meaningless to a congress person( unless that person is very rich and likes to donate lots of money), 10 000 people making a visual statement is noticed.

Like them or not the Tea Party do have the right idea

Organize a group of people outside the two main political parties in your area, so that your voices are heard on a collective basis. One person is meaningless to a congress person( unless that person is very rich and likes to donate lots of money), 10 000 people making a visual statement is noticed.

That's exactly the reason I support voting out every single encumbant in office. My vote would be lost, of course, but if enough people did that, the message would be heard.

Cynicism is very comfortable. If you can't do anything about it, then you can excuse not even trying. It's much easier to whine and cry about "the politicians" than it is for people to get off their asses and do something. It's like the mindless "vote them all out" cry of some. It's pure laziness, lumping the good with the bad.

Cynicism is very comfortable. If you can't do anything about it, then you can excuse not even trying. It's much easier to whine and cry about "the politicians" than it is for people to get off their asses and do something. It's like the mindless "vote them all out" cry of some. It's pure laziness, lumping the good with the bad.

Seriously though, what do you want someone like me to do?

I don't have political influence and no one takes me seriously in the real political arena because of my moniker.
It's not just cynicism, sometimes people embrace the reality for what it is.

In a time when people will actually watch and enjoy reality TV and love all the drama crap, do you really have to ask? We have become collectively shallow dirt-mongers, no better in reality than those who attended the Coliseum games.

Seriously though, what do you want someone like me to do?

I don't have political influence and no one takes me seriously in the real political arena because of my moniker.
It's not just cynicism, sometimes people embrace the reality for what it is.

Work for the campaigns of politicians you do support. Contact politicians(it's easier than you might even think) and tell them what you want. Donate time or money to causes you support.

In a time when people will actually watch and enjoy reality TV and love all the drama crap, do you really have to ask? We have become collectively shallow dirt-mongers, no better in reality than those who attended the Coliseum games.

So in other words, we are human just like we have always been.

Work for the campaigns of politicians you do support. Contact politicians(it's easier than you might even think) and tell them what you want. Donate time or money to causes you support.

That's the thing, the republicans here aren't really fiscal conservatives, they are seat keepers.

The last time Saxby (My fed senator) went up for election, I thought of doing work for his libertarian opponent but when they televised the debate, it was ridiculous.

Saxby didn't take him seriously and just made fun of him by smirking and saying "Ok Alan" a bunch of times.
He didn't respond to anything brought up and he still got elected.
Here, if you're not a bible thumbing "Republican" you can forget the election box.

The same goes for my house rep and state representatives.

Last edited:

Ever here of:

gerrymandering.gif

JERRYMANDERING?

Geesh man, is that not a great point as to how ****ed up things are.

We don't even really know how democratic we aren't these days. Our votes go to who they want them to go to. Although I will admit, that was an extreme example... it was Chicago, after all.

I think that we have sadly definitely let ourselves become swept up in this. It's a complete breakdown from the system which actively prevents participation, to the horrible state of our "news" reporting, to our own laziness and apathy about fixing the problems. Ultimately we all do share the blame because we're the ones who have let the system slip into its current state. And we've allowed the sensationalism and hyper-partisan rhetoric sweep us up and have rewarded it through our behavior.

As long as you're predictable, which most people who are, you're absolutely right.

NC12_109.gif

Check this one out, not as bad as yours but still.

hmm. Looks kind of like a chinese dragon devouring a buntcake. Very nice.

Had to add this quote, which explains some of the problems.

"In gerrymandered election districts, the voters don't choose their politicians - the politicians choose their voters!"

So true.

Check out Illinois' district 10. Damn, if fish could vote!!!

People also tend to despise democratic politics to a large degree because they do not understand it and its complexities. Just because things do not go your way does not mean that the system is bankrupt. The system is indeed complicated and to a degree out of touch, but that becomes a necessary evil at the very least, and a blessing at its best.

No, he said "because it misses a point the size of a small country."

I don't particularly like it but we aren't a small country.
Not as big as others in population but big enough where your vote is insignificant.
With the fed taking more and more power, that essentially waters down any say you have.

I have the right to bitch because so many of you have handled this place like your own spoils system by pooling your votes with "the person who gives me the most."

Back
Top Bottom