• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's not the Spanish cucumbers killing Germans

Outbreak is new form of E. coli

The E. coli outbreak in Germany is a new form of the bacterium, researchers and public health experts believe.

It can cause the deadly complication - haemolytic-uraemic syndrome (HUS) - affecting the blood and kidneys.

More than 1,500 people have been infected and 18 have died: 17 in Germany and one in Sweden.

--snip--

Professor Gad Frankel, from Imperial College London, the Sanger Institute and the Medical Research Council, said: "This is a new combination and a deadly combination.

"It has a gene which produces a toxin and another which helps the bacterium colonise the gut more efficiently, which effectively means even more toxin is produced.

"Research we published last year showed this same factor mediates attachment to the human gut and the surface of salad leaves."
BBC

Not a pleasant thing to contract, worrying that the source is unknown and as yet it's not officially explained how this new strain has come to be.

Let's cut to the chase.

How many people have died recently of E-Coli in the States as compared to the outbreak in Europe?

..... the E-Coli outbreak in Europe at the moment is a new very deadly strain that attacks the kidneys, something E-Coli normally does not. The outbreaks in the US are the "usual" types that dont have a high mortality rate.

This also the first major E-coli outbreak I have heard of in Europe for a very very long time if ever.. I cant remember the last time we were warned about unsafe food.. no wait, I can, that was mad cow from the UK in the 1980s/90s?... where as I have heard of at least 3 in the US in the last decade and that was way over here in Europe. There was 2 x meat outbreaks and 1 x spinach.

I realize that the goofy Eurolefties cannot take criticism well and are always making excuses for themselves, but somewhere along the line they have to learn to accept responsibility for themselves rather than always claiming its worse in the United States. Have there been any claims made yet that this is all America's fault? That should come soon.

It is not a claim, it is a fact. And we can take all the criticism you throw at us if it is factual, but most of the bs you come with is not factual. Your first comments in this reply are a prime example.

There are many reasons to bring up that film. Artificially confining it to one reason is something you made up.

Can you please answer my question?

your question has no bearing on this thread.

your question has no bearing on this thread.

Okay, if that's what you think, then here's another one.

If super e. coli is not due to human practices, then how could it have possibly been created?

Note: independent evolution is not the correct answer.

There was a similar case several years ago involving spinach from California when several people died.

It was traced back to Organic gardeners.

I'll take my chances with chemicals before i touch any of that crap-infested 'organic' crap, with crap being used literally in this instance.

Once in history organic agriculture kills a couple people, and that makes chemicals safe. I wonder if you have any idea how many people agro-chemicals have killed. Further, we should consider social and ecologic impacts - not just personal.

Last edited:
Okay, if that's what you think, then here's another one.

If super e. coli is not due to human practices, then how could it have possibly been created?

Note: independent evolution is not the correct answer.

mutation is the correct answer. it is the only answer.

..... the E-Coli outbreak in Europe at the moment is a new very deadly strain that attacks the kidneys, something E-Coli normally does not. The outbreaks in the US are the "usual" types that dont have a high mortality rate.

Then why did you mention the States? It is not relevant to what's going on in Europe.
This also the first major E-coli outbreak I have heard of in Europe for a very very long time if ever.. I cant remember the last time we were warned about unsafe food.. no wait, I can, that was mad cow from the UK in the 1980s/90s?... where as I have heard of at least 3 in the US in the last decade and that was way over here in Europe. There was 2 x meat outbreaks and 1 x spinach.

Yes, I recall that mad cow thing and it was huge. Is it safe to eat British beef yet?

It is not a claim, it is a fact. And we can take all the criticism you throw at us if it is factual, but most of the bs you come with is not factual. Your first comments in this reply are a prime example.

Nah! Every time something negative occurs in Europe, which has been daily recently, you and other Eurolefties have to mention the States. That's just the way you've been trained.

Then why did you mention the States? It is not relevant to what's going on in Europe.d.

For comparison sake of course. Who should Europe compare it self too.. Africa? Not to mention an American started to being in "big food" into the discussion and that was where it started. All I did was make the comment you can not say US food standards are the same as European and gave the many e-coli outbreaks in the US vs Europe as an example.

Yes, I recall that mad cow thing and it was huge. Is it safe to eat British beef yet?

It is still banned some places, just as US beef is banned in Europe.. /shrug.

Nah! Every time something negative occurs in Europe, which has been daily recently, you and other Eurolefties have to mention the States. That's just the way you've been traine

First of all 99% of those posting "negative" about Europe are the usual suspects including you. Most of the time the supposed negative stuff is overblown or out right wrong. For example your comment just now "which has been daily recently".. what the hell does that mean?

For comparison sake of course. Who should Europe compare it self too.. Africa?

As the problems are happening in Western Europe, why not compare them with Eastern Europe? There are dozens of countries available for comparison, including Argentina, and Brazil, but you never fail to go for the States, and always that "it's worse".

Not to mention an American started to being in "big food" into the discussion and that was where it started. All I did was make the comment you can not say US food standards are the same as European and gave the many e-coli outbreaks in the US vs Europe as an example.

You were the first in this thread to mention the United States, which is a tiresome habit. This time in post number 6.

It is still banned some places, just as US beef is banned in Europe.. /shrug.

US beef is banned in Europe?? Whatever for?

Incredible!
First of all 99% of those posting "negative" about Europe are the usual suspects including you. Most of the time the supposed negative stuff is overblown or out right wrong. For example your comment just now "which has been daily recently".. what the hell does that mean?

Most all the posts introduced are negative and designed for discussion about a particular issue. Europe has many negatives going on and part of your job, it seems, is to prevent this from happening by diverting the subject to the United States.

You'd prefer to ignore them , of course, because they run contrary to the hopes and beliefs you've had since you were first introduced to the idea of an EU, and proudly display the idea in your moniker. That it is a failed belief you've held on to for so many years, despite its obvious downward spiral, is difficult for you to face since all your emotional investments were tied up in this ridiculous idea. So you divert rather than debate, It's just what you do.

As the problems are happening in Western Europe, why not compare them with Eastern Europe? There are dozens of countries available for comparison, including Argentina, and Brazil, but you never fail to go for the States, and always that "it's worse".

So you are seriously saying, you want to compare the social and economic issues in Western Europe to that of Ukraine and Poland or Moldova? Does that mean we should only compare the US to Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia and Bolivia now? Seriously.... what is the point of comparing German/EU food regulations to that of Poland (who has pretty much the same) or Moldova who is a 3rd world country? Should comparisons not be between equals?

You were the first in this thread to mention the United States, which is a tiresome habit. This time in post number 6.

Actually no. Technically it was Temporal that did that, when he mentioned "Food Inc" which is an American documentary about the American food industry. Not my fault you dont know about the documentary Food Inc. and cant put two and two together.

US beef is banned in Europe?? Whatever for?

Incredible!

Been for a very long time. It is because you pump your beef full of growth hormones and in part do not check your cattle enough for mad cow disease. I say your, since it also effects Canada as far as I know.

Most all the posts introduced are negative and designed for discussion about a particular issue.

No most posts are bait posts with a negative view of Europe and have factual problems not to mention balance problems. Bring up actual factual "problems" with Europe and lets discuss that in a relevant civilized manner with the correct comparisons so we can come to a solution on how to fix it..... I aint holding my breath on that though.

Europe has many negatives going on and part of your job, it seems, is to prevent this from happening by diverting the subject to the United States.

No you divert away from things you dont like. I put in perspective and comparison to the OP's country which in 99% of the time is the USA. The other 1% is either Israel, Canada or the one or two Aussies that post here.

You'd prefer to ignore them , of course, because they run contrary to the hopes and beliefs you've had since you were first introduced to the idea of an EU, and proudly display the idea in your moniker.

I do not ignore the problems of Europe.. far far from it. I am well aware about quite a few of the problems in Europe as a whole and in individual countries. But most of the time the Americans and you, swipe "Europe" instead of the individual country in question.. you just say.. Europe every bloody single time, like we are one country with one set of rules..

That it is a failed belief you've held on to for so many years, despite its obvious downward spiral, is difficult for you to face since all your emotional investments were tied up in this ridiculous idea.

Europe in a downward spire? HAHAHA, yea and you can of course first define the downward spiral and then prove it right?

So you divert rather than debate, It's just what you do.

No you divert rather than debate. And when that does not work, then you make it personal. Rarely do you contribute to any discussion in a civilized way. Case in point.. this thread. Most of your blabling is about me and not the topic.

There was a similar case several years ago involving spinach from California when several people died.

It was traced back to Organic gardeners.

I'll take my chances with chemicals before i touch any of that crap-infested 'organic' crap, with crap being used literally in this instance.

There was an e coli outbreak here not long ago, which was blamed on tomatoes. The market for tomatoes plummeted, growers lost a lot of money, and the real cause turned out to be wild pigs that had invaded a spinach field.

The difference is that the strain that has surfaced in Germany is something new and more deadly. A mutant strain? Terrorism? What is the source? No one knows for sure, at least not yet.

There was an e coli outbreak here not long ago, which was blamed on tomatoes. The market for tomatoes plummeted, growers lost a lot of money, and the real cause turned out to be wild pigs that had invaded a spinach field.

The difference is that the strain that has surfaced in Germany is something new and more deadly. A mutant strain? Terrorism? What is the source? No one knows for sure, at least not yet.

I would encourage everyone, despite what the fashions of the day might dictate, not to eat 'organic foods.

Cow bacteria likelycause of German E.coli, expertsays

So you are seriously saying, you want to compare the social and economic issues in Western Europe to that of Ukraine and Poland or Moldova? Does that mean we should only compare the US to Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia and Bolivia now? Seriously.... what is the point of comparing German/EU food regulations to that of Poland (who has pretty much the same) or Moldova who is a 3rd world country? Should comparisons not be between equals?

Why not? Has their been any outbreaks of E.coli in these countries? It is not necessarily a matter of wealth that creates these problems.

Actually no. Technically it was Temporal that did that, when he mentioned "Food Inc" which is an American documentary about the American food industry. Not my fault you dont know about the documentary Food Inc. and cant put two and two together.

It was you who first mentioned the United States in this thread.

Been for a very long time. It is because you pump your beef full of growth hormones and in part do not check your cattle enough for mad cow disease. I say your, since it also effects Canada as far as I know.

In case Canada doesn't have any sex hormones in their beef, do you know where I can get some?
No most posts are bait posts with a negative view of Europe and have factual problems not to mention balance problems. Bring up actual factual "problems" with Europe and lets discuss that in a relevant civilized manner with the correct comparisons so we can come to a solution on how to fix it..... I aint holding my breath on that though.

Good idea.

No you divert away from things you dont like. I put in perspective and comparison to the OP's country which in 99% of the time is the USA. The other 1% is either Israel, Canada or the one or two Aussies that post here.

OK. What do I don't like?

I probably discuss the US more because it's a close neighbor, Ive worked and holidayed there and I no longer have any real interest in Europe. But I'm open to interesting discussions.

I do not ignore the problems of Europe.. far far from it. I am well aware about quite a few of the problems in Europe as a whole and in individual countries. But most of the time the Americans and you, swipe "Europe" instead of the individual country in question.. you just say.. Europe every bloody single time, like we are one country with one set of rules..

No, to be fair we often look at the problems of Greece, Italy, Belgium, Portugal, Ireland, and Spain separately, as well as the demographic problems of western Europe, their social ills and what have you. On the other hand I find Europeans tend to assume the actions of one State in the Union, or one individual, can be taken as an picture of all Americans in general.
Europe in a downward spire? HAHAHA, yea and you can of course first define the downward spiral and then prove it right?

I don't think it's any laughing matter but if you want to start another thread on the subject then do it. But these things can get rather tiresome after a while, which is why I've largely lost interest in what the Europeans might do. I happen to be very pleased with Canada right now though.

No you divert rather than debate. And when that does not work, then you make it personal. Rarely do you contribute to any discussion in a civilized way. Case in point.. this thread. Most of your blabling is about me and not the topic.

Good to see you never make it personal.

Last edited:
It is very rare in Europe hence people are freaking. It is much much more common in the US for example for E-Coli breakouts.

Our food industry is highly regulated in most countries and have high safety and health standards compared to the rest of the world.

Its rare in Europe because of high health and safty standards and much more common in the US because Europeans are better than Americans, right?

Last edited:
Mad cow, angry pig and pissed-off chicken affected the euros more, IIRC.

To be fair, we have worse/more industrial farming... but the raging bovine thing was mostly them, iirc.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

If the Europeans had opted for more sex hormones in their diet perhaps their birth rates might be higher. Odd how the collapse of cultures can result from the tiniest details.

I guess we can stop worrying about that Muslim population boom now. They're eating our hormone free meat everyday. Their birth rates are doomed. :lol:

Its rare in Europe because of high health and safty standards and much more common in the US because Europeans are better than Americans, right?

Not exactly but Europeans really like good food, Mediterranean for example. It's a tradition. And you can't cook good food with crappy ingredients.

Mad cow, angry pig and pissed-off chicken affected the euros more, IIRC.

:lamo And there we have a bald American eagle to snack them all. No bad feelings, brother, just kidding. :2wave:

Last edited:
I guess we can stop worrying about that Muslim population boom now. They're eating our hormone free meat everyday. Their birth rates are doomed. :lol:

Oh the poor naive Europeans!

I have it on very good authority that Halal in Arabic means "riddled with synthetic sex hormones'!

I only eat halal or kosher meat, and I'm not religious.

1...which is why I've largely lost interest in what the Europeans might do...
2...I happen to be very pleased with Canada right now though...

1. Your posting record says otherwise; you can't keep away from this forum.
2. Great, there is this option - Canada to which you have not made a single post.

We know that you prefer to troll the Europe forum despite your mock indignation at the suggestion.

As response to the bold part.. no. It is because of different and higher health and safety standards for foods. That is just a fact, and it is up to you to twist that fact into whatever anti-European attack you want, but I refuse to get dragged into a "We are better than them" debate when the facts are the facts. On average there are 2 ecoli outbreaks every year in the US, where as in Europe there are rarely any. Read the following link for the official "outbreaks" in the US. On top of that there are of course local cases.

Outbreak Investigations | CDC E. coli

Back
Top Bottom