• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's Not the Kids Turning on to Weed; It's Grandma and Grandpa

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What goes around comes around. Big Pharma bites itself in the ass.

Over decades Big Pharma has increasingly pimped pharmaceuticals to the point that commercial television is dependent to a growing degree on pharmaceutical advertising revenue. Try watching commercial telly and see for yourself. All y'all are ****ed up and you need to be take pharmaceuticals so that you too can sit in adjoining bathtubs on the beach and gaze lovingly at each other while holding hands. What's up with that anyway?

Go to the doctor and he/she will want to give you script for everything. Sometimes that not a bad thing. Often it isn't the best thing. Either way, we are and have been, for the most part, willing participants in a chemical world. We've got the scars to show for it. Yes, we're living longer - unwanted with side effects. And frequently we are prescribed pills to counter the side effects of the pills that we are prescribed.

Boomers are saying there's got to be a better way, a healthier, more effective way to mitigate the maladies accumulated over a lifetime. Boomers are turning to medicinal cannabis. Research confirms it. Research also shows that there is a decline in teen use of marijuana by about 24%.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Whether it's wide-open medical marijuana states like California or fully legal states like Colorado, the gray-haired set is increasingly turning to pot, and not just to ease their aches and pains With a half-dozen more states likely to have legalization on the ballot (and win) this year and medical marijuana coming to more, grandma and grandpa are set to become even more interested.

Last week, CBS This Morning reported on the phenomenon of senior marijuana use, and the numbers are striking. Citing data from the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the program reported that the number of pot users over 55 jumped from 2.8 million in 2013 to 4.3 million in 2014, a 55% increase in a single year.

Source

I'll light a joint to celebrate this story!

About the side effects of pharm. Drugs, I often wonder who would rather live with permit damage to your liver and some of the other horrid sounding sides effects to some of these drugs like explosive diarrhea, blood cancer, seizures..... in order to get rid of say blemishes. It's like pure insanity!

As far as pot, it's not the same stuff we were smoking in the 1980s. Some of these strains are very potent with its own side effects like paranoia, delusions and other mental health problems times ten. Today's kids have a whole host of other things to be concerned about before dabbling with such stuff (not to mention the synthetic sh*t, dabs etc.... available).

In the school where I teach, we have 5th and 6th grade students putting hash oil in vap pens which is too easy to go undetected unless someone tells.

About the side effects of pharm. Drugs, I often wonder who would rather live with permit damage to your liver and some of the other horrid sounding sides effects to some of these drugs like explosive diarrhea, blood cancer, seizures..... in order to get rid of say blemishes. It's like pure insanity!

As far as pot, it's not the same stuff we were smoking in the 1980s. Some of these strains are very potent with its own side effects like paranoia, delusions and other mental health problems times ten. Today's kids have a whole host of other things to be concerned about before dabbling with such stuff (not to mention the synthetic sh*t, dabs etc.... available).

In the school where I teach, we have 5th and 6th grade students putting hash oil in vap pens which is too easy to go undetected unless someone tells.

Ibuprofen will make your gut bleed if you take 800mg daily for several consecutive days, but what you should be scared of is marijuana because it causes almost no physical damage to your body.

Didn't you know ?

Over decades Big Pharma has increasingly pimped pharmaceuticals to the point that commercial television is dependent to a growing degree on pharmaceutical advertising revenue. Try watching commercial telly and see for yourself. All y'all are ****ed up and you need to be take pharmaceuticals so that you too can sit in adjoining bathtubs on the beach and gaze lovingly at each other while holding hands. What's up with that anyway?

Go to the doctor and he/she will want to give you script for everything. Sometimes that not a bad thing. Often it isn't the best thing. Either way, we are and have been, for the most part, willing participants in a chemical world. We've got the scars to show for it. Yes, we're living longer - unwanted with side effects. And frequently we are prescribed pills to counter the side effects of the pills that we are prescribed.

Boomers are saying there's got to be a better way, a healthier, more effective way to mitigate the maladies accumulated over a lifetime. Boomers are turning to medicinal cannabis. Research confirms it. Research also shows that there is a decline in teen use of marijuana by about 24%.

Source
It is all generations these days, past time for the government to get out of peoples personal lives.

I told my boss recently I was going to "try" to wait till I retire to fire one up. So far so good.

All y'all are ****ed up and you need to be take pharmaceuticals so that you too can sit in adjoining bathtubs on the beach and gaze lovingly at each other while holding hands. What's up with that anyway?

I have wondered about that myself. How can you have sex while sitting in separate tubs?

One of my sils only eats organic stuff, but when you look into her purse, she has a pill for every part of her body. When I tell her that pharms are not organic, she looks at me all baffled

Source

Right on. Nothing wrong with a toke now and then. If it helps what ails you, I am all for it.
But...and you know it's coming right?...I am guessing that boomers have more ailments than the youngins, so that's why the older generation needs more of the medicinal cannabis. Right?

Ibuprofen will make your gut bleed if you take 800mg daily for several consecutive days, but what you should be scared of is marijuana because it causes almost no physical damage to your body.

Didn't you know ?

My point is these chemicals can have rather severe side effects. Pot's side effects tend to be more psychological in nature.

My point is these chemicals can have rather severe side effects. Pot's side effects tend to be more psychological in nature.

Yes, sorry, this is my fault. I was agreeing with you but my sarcasm didn't translate over this medium well.

i don't care if older people smoke pot.

Source

What's not to agree with this, Risky. A few years ago I had a stroke, which lead to test that showed I had a heart defect, which require surgery. I can't tell you how many drugs I was prescribed from that incident.

The above said, I'm from the drug revolution/baby boomer generation - I did my share of every kind of drug that was popular in that era. But there were some lessons learned by my partaking in those drugs. Those lesson weren't forgotten. Consequently, I did take the drugs prescribed for about two months following heart surgery and I threw them in the trash. The side effects were way more than I was willing to go through, even if it meant a premature death. And I'm serious about that.

There are so many drugs today, prescription and over-the-counter that will **** you up. So today, I have to be really ill to take meds of any kind and I won't take them any longer than it take for me to feel better, not perfect. Then I hope my body's chemistry finishes the job of making feel as well as I'll ever feel.

Thanks...

Source

Grandson, back in my day, we had to go out to fields and look for days to find our weed, and it took two joints to get you high. You young whippersnappers don't realize how good you have it. :mrgreen:

Source

Yea _ I do not use cannabis or any rx for that matter yet really have noted many geriatric patients are using. There is a high end legal dispensary right on my block and those sitting the eating room are a mixed demographic yet a fair number of the geriatric set are there.

I think it is good they can walk in and and buy what they want to use.

I like how it has unfolded in Oregon.

What's not to agree with this, Risky. A few years ago I had a stroke, which lead to test that showed I had a heart defect, which require surgery. I can't tell you how many drugs I was prescribed from that incident.

The above said, I'm from the drug revolution/baby boomer generation - I did my share of every kind of drug that was popular in that era. But there were some lessons learned by my partaking in those drugs. Those lesson weren't forgotten. Consequently, I did take the drugs prescribed for about two months following heart surgery and I threw them in the trash. The side effects were way more than I was willing to go through, even if it meant a premature death. And I'm serious about that.

There are so many drugs today, prescription and over-the-counter that will **** you up. So today, I have to be really ill to take meds of any kind and I won't take them any longer than it take for me to feel better, not perfect. Then I hope my body's chemistry finishes the job of making feel as well as I'll ever feel.

Thanks...

Smart man. Polypharmacy almost creates a new disease that is less tolerable then the initial pathology.

Source

lol

Yeah - the kids are taking the grandparent's prescription pills.

I think Grandma and Grandpa have lived long enough and full enough lives that if they want to smoke a joint more power to 'em.

Geez, they are in their twilight years, why would anyone want to prevent them from enjoying them as they see fit?

I think Grandma and Grandpa have lived long enough and full enough lives that if they want to smoke a joint more power to 'em.

Geez, they are in their twilight years, why would anyone want to prevent them from enjoying them as they see fit?

Because principles and higher expectations always make people wish their respected and well-thought-of loved ones make more wise and mature decisions in life. It's personal when family decides to do it. Mainly: you aren't engaging them anymore and they'd rather tune you out and shut you off. You're the reason why their life is crap, now, even though you never wanted to destroy their happy world.

My family is vacationing West this summer to visit family (husband hasn't been to CA to visit his mom since 09). And while it first started as a simple trip to visit family, it morphed into my husband endlessly talking about going to Colorado and buying weed and getting high when the kids are asleep.

:roll:

Which - just - it's like a stab in the back, personally. It's a sign that he's just miserable and fed up with everyone and everything around him. However ridiculous it sounds, to me it's evidence that our marriage is absolute **** and the only one who's imagined we ever could have been a strong, good, happy and content couple together was me. You know - he was a happy person when we met . . . so I've really just ruined him. If we hadn't of married and gone through so much **** he'd be a better person. He'd be stronger than that.

Well anyway. That was a personal low of TMI - but there's always more to it than some simple fun times. Fun times are what happen when you're 15 and having innocent rebellious fun with friends. When life sucks that much - and then the weed and everything else doesn't help - how much longer is someone going to put up with life at all? Misery and 'next-stop, suicide' is what happens when you're doing it in your golden years because your life has gotten that ****ty.

Here i am struggling to be stronger / be stronger / be stronger like a broken record... and he's just giving up.

Last edited:
Because principles and higher expectations always make people wish their respected and well-thought-of loved ones make more wise and mature decisions in life. It's personal when family decides to do it. Mainly: you aren't engaging them anymore and they'd rather tune you out and shut you off. You're the reason why their life is crap, now, even though you never wanted to destroy their happy world.

My family is vacationing West this summer to visit family (husband hasn't been to CA to visit his mom since 09). And while it first started as a simple trip to visit family, it morphed into my husband endlessly talking about going to Colorado and buying weed and getting high when the kids are asleep.

:roll:

Which - just - it's like a stab in the back, personally. It's a sign that he's just miserable and fed up with everyone and everything around him. However ridiculous it sounds, to me it's evidence that our marriage is absolute **** and the only one who's imagined we ever could have been a strong, good, happy and content couple together was me. You know - he was a happy person when we met . . . so I've really just ruined him. If we hadn't of married and gone through so much **** he'd be a better person. He'd be stronger than that.

Well anyway. That was a personal low of TMI - but there's always more to it than some simple fun times. Fun times are what happen when you're 15 and having innocent rebellious fun with friends. When life sucks that much - and then the weed and everything else doesn't help - how much longer is someone going to put up with life at all? Misery and 'next-stop, suicide' is what happens when you're doing it in your golden years because your life has gotten that ****ty.

Here i am struggling to be stronger / be stronger / be stronger like a broken record... and he's just giving up.

I'm curious. Do you have any vices?

Why would the idea that someone wants to smoke pot (or do anything else they might enjoy in life) translate into a personal attack on you? Or, more importantly, be an unwise and immature choice? :confused:

Whose life is it anyway, theirs or yours?

Last edited:
I'm curious. Do you have any vices?

Why would the idea that someone wants to smoke pot (or do anything else they might enjoy in life) translate into a personal attack on you? Or, more importantly, be an unwise and immature choice? :confused:

Whose life is it anyway, theirs or yours?

Well - since I'm dealing with this RE my husband... it's very much MY life too.

If it was my parents - then that would be a little different as they aren't reliant on me for their care / we don't interact every day. In a similar twist, my father started drinking wine (being a minister - after years and years of berating liquor for its many negatives, that was the equivalent of me doing coke all of a sudden).

As far as my vices go . . . I was habitually drinking coffee every day. Until I realized it was the reason why I'd gained an unwanted 20 lbs. I quit. So now I have no vices. I don't believe in clinging to chemicals and crap to alter my reality. Coffee-wise, I'd just gotten used to drinking it every day.

I think the difference between me and others is I'm an emotional **** faced **** when I do anything like get high or get drunk. It's a downer, seriously depressing. I'll only end up heartbroken and sick on the floor and spending weeks climbing out of a depressed little pit. I've never had a good, positive experience with drugs on any level. So I cannot connect to the idea of it being a good idea for anyone to do. So if my life sucks so bad I want to get wasted, might as well check me into a mental institution so I don't commit suicide while I'm at rock bottom.

And yet someone like my husband - well he's been in mental institutions while he's NOT under the influence of anything due to depression and several suicide attempts (before and after we married). so I don't honestly know how to take that at all, coming from him.

I don't understand- I wish he was stronger than that. Better than that.

Last edited:
Well - since I'm dealing with this RE my husband... it's very much MY life too.

If it was my parents - then that would be a little different as they aren't reliant on me for their care / we don't interact every day. In a similar twist, my father started drinking wine (being a minister - after years and years of berating liquor for its many negatives, that was the equivalent of me doing coke all of a sudden).

As far as my vices go . . . I was habitually drinking coffee every day. Until I realized it was the reason why I'd gained an unwanted 20 lbs. I quit. So now I have no vices. I don't believe in clinging to chemicals and crap to alter my reality.

I think the difference between me and others is I'm an emotional **** faced **** when I do anything like get high or get drunk. It's a downer, seriously depressing. I'll only end up heartbroken and sick on the floor and spending weeks climbing out of a depressed little pit. I've never had a good, positive experience with drugs on any level. So I cannot connect to the idea of it being a good idea for anyone to do.

Well, forgive me if I am wrong, but from your story it seemed like your husband was talking about a shared experience sans the kids.

Something he wanted to do with you not against you. Have you told him how you feel, or about your past experiences?

Still, pot and alcohol are not stimulants, they are depressants so it is not surprising you would feel more depressed if you already suffer from depression.

Too bad MDMA (otherwise known as Ecstasy) has been outlawed because a number marriage counselors and psychologists have praised it's use as a positive, upbeat emotional experience.

I gave up pot the day my daughter was born in 1980. The navy was just starting to go full steam with the urinalysis program right about the same time anyways. I have never smoked since.

About 1/2 of my current friends smoke, (including military retirees) and I would say that they are all in the ages of late 40's to 65 years old.

I grounded my son for two weeks when he was 17 for pot. I borrowed his Chevy S-10 one afternoon while my truck was in the shop and I saw a little baggie with about enough for two joints in his ashtray. He took it pretty well, but he did argue that he knew I smoked pot at his age and thought I was being a hypocrite. My reply shocked him right down to his toes. I told him that I was grounding him for being careless and stupid, not for the pot. If the police had stopped him with the drug, he would have automatically lost his Virginia drivers license while being under age, and his beloved S-10 would have been impounded.

Well, forgive me if I am wrong, but from your story it seemed like your husband was talking about a shared experience sans the kids.

Something he wanted to do with you not against you. Have you told him how you feel, or about your past experiences?

Still, pot and alcohol are not stimulants, they are depressants so it is not surprising you would feel more depressed if you already suffer from depression.

Too bad MDMA (otherwise known as Ecstasy) has been outlawed because a number marriage counselors and psychologists have praised it's use as a positive, upbeat emotional experience.

Drugs affect everyone differently, yeah. They bum me out or turn me into an emotional sap - and with him... well I've experienced what he turns into. He's not an emotional sap like me. That kind of **** changes people in various ways and sometimes it just brings out the worst in people, not the freeness and relaxed in people.

Anyway - it's just a no-go zone for me. I've gone through enough because other people in my life 'can't handle it' and 'need to take a mental break'. Drugs (prescription, legal, or otherwise) never fixed or improved anything. They've just destroyed us slowly.

You know... if people insist on blissing out on drugs they better be willing to accept the consequences of what happens when they turn into violent psychos, instead. And if the consequence is they'll never be trusted to behave while under the influence ever again, then that's what it is.

Last edited:

The drug ads create such cognitive dissonance--happy-ending little stories while the mouseprint voice reads off all the disclaimers and terrifying warnings.

As for the two-tub logo of this ED drug, I'd think one tub would be a happier ending. But why do you need a tub at all on the shores of a lake or river? ;)

The drug ads create such cognitive dissonance--happy-ending little stories while the mouseprint voice reads off all the disclaimers and terrifying warnings.

As for the two-tub logo of this ED drug, I'd think one tub would be a happier ending. But why do you need a tub at all on the shores of a lake or river? ;)

Yeah.... I could think of something that I might be doing after taking that little blue pill.

Back
Top Bottom