• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's not my job to educate you

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is a followup on the Do your own Research thread. You might want to take a peak at it before popping over here:

"Not my job to educate you" is very similar to "do your own research". The difference is in who says it. "Do your own research" typically comes from conspiracy theorists who can't be bothered to send you the sources for all of their claims. "Not my job to educate you" typically comes from disenfranchised groups (black people, LGBT people, etc.) who are tired of having to explain themselves to those who are not. To some degree, this makes sense. What may seem like an innocent question trying to understand an issue better on the asker's end may be one of many questions asked on the end of the person being asked the question making the latter tired of having to explain why their experiences need to be accounted for.

However, this carries the same issues has DYOR. The people giving this response often assume that it's as straightforward as "just google it" like the answer is right there and that it's just a matter of swallowing your pride. However, even when following this advice, it can be difficult to know what sources are credible. There's hardly a guerantee that said person won't simply stumble upon misinformation or misleading statistics. If said person is a conservative, such a person may very well take advice from Ben Shapiro or Steven Crowder. If it's not "my job to educate you" whose job is it?

Another issue is that it leaves questioners with the impression that the responder simply knows very little about the subject at hand or is too afraid to debate that "not my job" serves to deflect criticism. Neither one of these gives off a good impression. Part of the reason why "not my job to educate you" exists is because of a practice known as sealioning which is when poeple ask very basic questions in bad faith to derail the discussion. This ineviatably wears the patience of the target, allowing the user to call out the other person for being unreasonable. A big issue with this is that since people cannot read midns, there's no way to discern someone using this tactic from someone simply trying to understand the issue at hand.

You know who doesn't get tired? Reactionaries

And they're more than happy to tell you all about how cultural marxism infiltrated the education system and about race and IQ.

This meme is more true than it has any right to be
1623629063433.png

What I'm trying to say is that for both DYOR and NMYTEY, there needs to be an easy and reliable way for people to find reliable sources on a given subject. Google is supposed to fill that medium but oftentimes, pages will be sorted by views, meaning that some searches can lead to confirmation bias rather than objective truth.

Even if it's "not your job to educate them" someone's gotta do it or reactionaries will.

Without giving too much of a **** about the rest of your post on 'educating' others, you should know its 'peek' not 'peak'.

This is a followup on the Do your own Research thread. You might want to take a peak at it before popping over here:

"Not my job to educate you" is very similar to "do your own research". The difference is in who says it. "Do your own research" typically comes from conspiracy theorists who can't be bothered to send you the sources for all of their claims. "Not my job to educate you" typically comes from disenfranchised groups (black people, LGBT people, etc.) who are tired of having to explain themselves to those who are not. To some degree, this makes sense. What may seem like an innocent question trying to understand an issue better on the asker's end may be one of many questions asked on the end of the person being asked the question making the latter tired of having to explain why their experiences need to be accounted for.

However, this carries the same issues has DYOR. The people giving this response often assume that it's as straightforward as "just google it" like the answer is right there and that it's just a matter of swallowing your pride. However, even when following this advice, it can be difficult to know what sources are credible. There's hardly a guerantee that said person won't simply stumble upon misinformation or misleading statistics. If said person is a conservative, such a person may very well take advice from Ben Shapiro or Steven Crowder. If it's not "my job to educate you" whose job is it?

Another issue is that it leaves questioners with the impression that the responder simply knows very little about the subject at hand or is too afraid to debate that "not my job" serves to deflect criticism. Neither one of these gives off a good impression. Part of the reason why "not my job to educate you" exists is because of a practice known as sealioning which is when poeple ask very basic questions in bad faith to derail the discussion. This ineviatably wears the patience of the target, allowing the user to call out the other person for being unreasonable. A big issue with this is that since people cannot read midns, there's no way to discern someone using this tactic from someone simply trying to understand the issue at hand.

You know who doesn't get tired? Reactionaries

And they're more than happy to tell you all about how cultural marxism infiltrated the education system and about race and IQ.

This meme is more true than it has any right to be
View attachment 67337829

What I'm trying to say is that for both DYOR and NMYTEY, there needs to be an easy and reliable way for people to find reliable sources on a given subject. Google is supposed to fill that medium but oftentimes, pages will be sorted by views, meaning that some searches can lead to confirmation bias rather than objective truth.

Even if it's "not your job to educate them" someone's gotta do it or reactionaries will.

Very good. You got it all correct. It's just a lame excuse talking point used by right wingers who don't want to discuss the issue in depth.

Very good. You got it all correct. It's just a lame excuse talking point used by right wingers who don't want to discuss the issue in depth.
I also noted the issues that come with this though. If ignorance is indeed the cause of prejudice, leaving people in the dark is not a good way to achieve that goal.

I prefer: “I’m not your Google bitch. Do your own research.”

I prefer: “I’m not your Google bitch. Do your own research.”
On the other hand, if I make a claim, I want to be able to back it up... not say 'google it'
If you make a claim, you should be able to back it up, and not say 'google it'.

On the other hand, if I make a claim, I want to be able to back it up... not say 'google it'
If you make a claim, you should be able to back it up, and not say 'google it'.

It depends on whether it should be common knowledge. It is reserved for those who question an item that has been in the news for months and is most often used by right wingers attempting to question the obvious or to stall serious discussion . I'm sorry, but I don't have much patience for those sort of "questions".

It depends on whether it should be common knowledge. It is reserved for those who question an item that has been in the news for months and is most often used by right wingers attempting to question the obvious or to stall serious discussion . I'm sorry, but I don't have much patience for those sort of "questions".
Never the less, the tactic of 'google it' is a right wing tactic too

Never the less, the tactic of 'google it' is a right wing tactic too

I prefer not to waste my time on those who are not being serious in their debate. Sorry, but I’m not going to answer questions to which the answer is obvious, and to which the questioner probably already knows the answer, or should because it is common knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom