• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's easy to oppose gun control when you are white

Re: Easier to oppose gun control when you're white?

A concept utterly lost on the gun grabbers, who's main goal seems to be punishing law abiding citizens for the actions of criminals. While doing nothing to limit the ability of said criminals to do harm, in fact, enhancing it.

there are two reasons behind that=well maybe three. the least offensive and least premeditated is the attitude that since society has banned all criminals from having guns and there is still gun crime maybe its time to ban even more people thinking a failed policy when applied to mopes will somehow work better against mopes when its expanded to restrict honest people

but the real reasons are generally (especially at office holder level) to pander to the masses who want something done and

two try to keep the NRA defending turf we already hold and a spiteful slap at those of us who don't vote for the politicians who pretend gun control controls criminals

A concept utterly lost on the gun grabbers, who's main goal seems to be punishing law abiding citizens for the actions of criminals. While doing nothing to limit the ability of said criminals to do harm, in fact, enhancing it.
Once someone has decided that they are above the law, more law will not suddenly change their minds. Instead of enforcing the few good laws of many poor ones they add more bad law. This is insanity.

or when some guy just spent 500 bucks on some hotshot titanium driver and misses the fairway by a 100 yards and then chucks the thing as if he's a Russian Hammer thrower
Yep. I have learned a lot of restraint with my new clubs, they were expensive but worth the money, last thing I want to do is cause massive damage to them before they have some mileage.

Is it too much to ask to give up the right to own 16 different firearms so that maybe communities of color can be a little more safe?

That is not even the point of the article you linked, as you suspiciously ignored the end of the article...

"Across the cultural divide, black citizens are only half as likely to say that it’s important to protect gun rights. Perhaps that’s because their experience has been uniformly worse in that regard. They’re far more likely to be murdered with a gun, and generally it’s by a criminal (not a cop) and disproportionately a black suspect. Unfortunately, we also learned previously that roughly 90% of those guns were either stolen or purchased illegally, not through the legal channels where background checks and others precautions apply."

At best the only thing that will happen in your asinine "is it too much to ask to give up the right" request is disarming the group that is not the problem. It is foolish advice that more laws and more restrictions will convince someone who is going to break other laws anyway to no longer do so.

You want to deal with this issue? It means dealing with various socioeconomic faults that are disproportionately more impacting in minority communities.

You want to waste more time (and life) in a haze of political stupidity? Then come up with more "hot air" solutions that are kin to limiting fork and spoon production in an effort to address obesity and diabetes in this nation.

You are totally wrong to blame the cops. They have cut back on putting themselves in deadly force situations:

2016 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

And don't blame the gun owners who can legally own guns because they are not convicted felons.

Place the blame where it belongs: drug dealers killing each other over turf, and killing snitches and other gang members while the rest of the community hides in terror.

Yep. I have learned a lot of restraint with my new clubs, they were expensive but worth the money, last thing I want to do is cause massive damage to them before they have some mileage.

true enough. the first sport I got good at was skeet shooting so when i started playing tournament level squash, tennis and table tennis, I never threw or smashed my rackets because there was no way I was going to chuck my father's browning O/U shotgun just because i ended up shooting a 23 in a round of skeet

true enough. the first sport I got good at was skeet shooting so when i started playing tournament level squash, tennis and table tennis, I never threw or smashed my rackets because there was no way I was going to chuck my father's browning O/U shotgun just because i ended up shooting a 23 in a round of skeet
The day jackasses enter shooting sports and chuck firearms is the day I start staying in more. :lol:

The juxtaposition here is that in rural Mexico where the authorities are weak on law enforcement, vigilante justice rules. Here in the USA where the authorities are strong, the residents sit by, defenseless because the authorities are impotent when the community won't cooperate.

I can't recommend vigilante justice in the black community, but if they are going to reject police authority, it's time to "go tribal", and take things into their own hands for survivals sake, and hope the "authorities" keep their distance.

The day jackasses enter shooting sports and chuck firearms is the day I start staying in more. :lol:

I know of one case of someone chucking a gun

My late father belonged to a rather expensive country club that has one of the top golf courses in the USA and once had grass tennis courts. For years (until a developer upset with the club for not selling some unused property that would be worth tons with homes on it, and got the nearby prep school's liberals to complain about "lead" on a practice soccer field and caused the range to be shut down) there was a skeet range next to an ice skating pond. One member who was pretty much a big fish in the small pond of the skeet talent at that club thought himself to be really good because he averaged 47/50 in the club events and usually won. WELL, I came home from spring break from college where I was two weeks away from being declared #1 shooter in the Ivy league and I shot a 49/50 to win. Now you could shoot a score anytime during a one week period and I heard that after I went back to school, this guy had one more day to try to beat my score-he didn't and promptly threw his Remington 1100 into the pond. Now the pond was only 2-4 feet deep depending on rainfall and it was quickly retrieved.

My father suggested that It be awarded the winner of the event since he was there shooting when it happened. but that was the only case of a thrown firearm I have ever heard about in 40+ years of competitive shooting

I know of one case of someone chucking a gun

My late father belonged to a rather expensive country club that has one of the top golf courses in the USA and once had grass tennis courts. For years (until a developer upset with the club for not selling some unused property that would be worth tons with homes on it, and got the nearby prep school's liberals to complain about "lead" on a practice soccer field and caused the range to be shut down) there was a skeet range next to an ice skating pond. One member who was pretty much a big fish in the small pond of the skeet talent at that club thought himself to be really good because he averaged 47/50 in the club events and usually won. WELL, I came home from spring break from college where I was two weeks away from being declared #1 shooter in the Ivy league and I shot a 49/50 to win. Now you could shoot a score anytime during a one week period and I heard that after I went back to school, this guy had one more day to try to beat my score-he didn't and promptly threw his Remington 1100 into the pond. Now the pond was only 2-4 feet deep depending on rainfall and it was quickly retrieved.

My father suggested that It be awarded the winner of the event since he was there shooting when it happened. but that was the only case of a thrown firearm I have ever heard about in 40+ years of competitive shooting
That is one of the few folks I would outright say shouldn't own a gun, that is a level of disrespect that is not only immature and borderline insane, but dangerous to others. All it would take is to forget there was a load in the chamber or not know, and just the right angle of hit to misfire. I am guessing he had to pay a pretty penny to get it operable again.

The racial divide on gun deaths in America « Hot Air

About half the victims of gun homicide are African-American. Gun violence has wreaked absolute havoc on communities of color. While white people complain about sex education and argue about evolution, PoC just hope their kids can get to school without being shot by a police officer or a vigilante.

Is it too much to ask to give up the right to own 16 different firearms so that maybe communities of color can be a little more safe?
Yes, it is. None of my 16 guns have killed a person of color, or any person. IF I ever use one to kill someone, it will be because my life or the life of one of my loved ones is in danger. Tell me, why should I forego the protection afforded by owning multiple firearms just because people of color, statistically as a group, won't stop killing each other with them?

About half the victims of gun homicide are African-American. Gun violence has wreaked absolute havoc on communities of color. While white people complain about sex education and argue about evolution, PoC just hope their kids can get to school without being shot by a police officer or a vigilante.

So deal with the PEOPLE committing the crimes instead of taking away firearms from those who aren't committing the crimes. I'll bet you're the type who goes to BLM protests and fail to recognize that black criminals are the # cause of violent deaths among blacks. You want to make it everyone's fault except the people causing the harm. If a black man shoots another black man, it's the gun's fault. STUPID!! If you have 100 black on black shooting and 1 white on black shooting, you howl and wail about racism, ignoring the FACT that the real problem isn't being addressed and is in fact getting hidden by your ignorant ranting.

The short version is yes.

The long version is why do you use emotional argument to deprive people of their best means of defence thereby endangering their lives. Who gave you the power to play God and decide who can protect their lives or not?

what you think others NEED is not really relevant to a constitutional right
and truth be told as long as I don't have to live that way, and I don't, my interest is limited to opinion only and bafflement at the need

doesn't affect me one way or another

Okay, rights are not based on needs. They are pre-existing fundamental liberties that exist in nature, they are not dependent upon any other factor except a natural order that cannot be granted, only taken away by force, I am not going to allow anyone to take away my rights under any reasoning or circumstances.

Secondly, I have needed my firearm more than three times, and have had it for only three of those times due to following the rules and laws of our society, the times I didn't have it fortunately the other guy had a knife or fists and I was able to either diffuse or otherwise end the situation, but let me tell you from experience that when you NEED a firearm and don't have it, it is not a comfortable situation to put it lightly.

Lastly, since we already have the pre-existing right to arms, I am not concerned with the wish list of people who favor the opposite. I have the right, end of conversation.

I won't even bother to comment then on any part of your post and you can certainly have the last word as well.

:peace out

and truth be told as long as I don't have to live that way, and I don't, my interest is limited to opinion only and bafflement at the need

doesn't affect me one way or another
I would say that is a fair position. You are more than entitled to that opinion, I only have a problem when people try to enforce that opinion. All good!

I won't even bother to comment then on any part of your post and you can certainly have the last word as well.

:peace out
Sorry if that sounded directed at you, on read back it sounds harsher than intended. I mean towards those who would ask for "compromise" when what they really mean is surrender. Apologies.

Sorry if that sounded directed at you, on read back it sounds harsher than intended. I mean towards those who would ask for "compromise" when what they really mean is surrender. Apologies.
apologies unecessary but absolutely accepted....no worries on most things I am easy breezy...for real

other things I may get a bit worked up on but not this one... :mrgreen:

But then there's this, from the article:

Those different experiences partly explain their divergent views: Whites (61 percent) are nearly twice as likely as blacks (34 percent) to say it’s more important to protect gun rights than to control gun ownership, according to the Pew Research Center.

So your title is a farse. More black people support gun control than white people. More white people support gun rights.

Which makes sense when your people [if you're black and thus in that statistics chunk] are more violent and you're more likely to become a statistic of a murder-by-shooter.

So your title should read: "It's easy to support gun rights when you're white" and the conclusion you should have reached: "Because you're less likely to be killed by one."

But then there's this, from the article:

So your title is a farse. More black people support gun control than white people. More white people support gun rights.

Which makes sense when your people [if you're black and thus in that statistics chunk] are more violent and you're more likely to become a statistic of a murder-by-shooter.

So your title should read: "It's easy to support gun rights when you're white" and the conclusion you should have reached: "Because you're less likely to be killed by one."

no group supports the party of gun restrictions more than blacks either. They are voting for gun banners and gun restrictionists at rates well over 90%

Since this seems to be a communities of color problem, how about we just ask the black community to give up their guns?

Also, this is not about LEO or vigilante's shooting up communities of color. It's about residents of those communities shooting up each other.

I have a question for you: why are there so many gangs in black neighborhoods, and why do so many black people carry guns that drive these results?

I have a question for you: why are there so many gangs in black neighborhoods, and why do so many black people carry guns that drive these results?

There's a sense of hopeless with many young African-Americans. They have a sense of dispair from not having any social support or funding from education. The gangs allow a sense of security for them.

with the levels of gun comes being committed by minorities , it logically sound to argue that it's easy to SUPPORT gun control if you're white.

after all, gun control's history is about violating the rights of minorities, especailly blacks, so they don't go around shooting people.

Back
Top Bottom