• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's baaaaaack!

I don't like the questions on page 21. They could lead someone to become depressed instead of being optimistic about their situation. I wouldn't want a loved one of mine worrying about being a burden or worrying about money for example.

****, I work as the personal caregiver for my father who suffered a serious traumatic brain injury. Some would say that this qualifies as being a "burden". The money situation in my family is completely ****ed.

If I went back in time with video of him as he is today and showed it to th eman he use dto be, he would have eaten a bullet right then and there. I know how my father was, and the man he was would much rather be dead than in the situation he is in.

A realistic description of what occurs is absolutely important for an informed decision. Sugar coating things is total bull**** and it ****s over the person who is making the decision.

So you believe that man should play God and prevent people from reaching the kingdom of heaven through artificial means?
I think killing someone off is more "playing God" than...uh...not killing them off.

I don't like the questions on page 21. They could lead someone to become depressed instead of being optimistic about their situation. I wouldn't want a loved one of mine worrying about being a burden or worrying about money for example.

Barb, the booklet looks at all sides, tries to present arguments for people to think of from staying alive no matter what to pulling the plug when life support is needed. Picking out one page of questions and saying it is bad because of those is silly. When the VA workbook came up last time, I was the one who actually read it and countered all the people who kept pulling comments out of context. It's not going to work trying to paint this as wanting our vets to decide to die, or death panel type crap. It just does not work.

Barb, the booklet looks at all sides, tries to present arguments for people to think of from staying alive no matter what to pulling the plug when life support is needed. Picking out one page of questions and saying it is bad because of those is silly. When the VA workbook came up last time, I was the one who actually read it and countered all the people who kept pulling comments out of context.
I had to do the same thing with Arizona SB 1070 (especially after it had been amended by HB 2162).

Last edited:
I think killing someone off is more "playing God" than...uh...not killing them off.

Depends on the situation. Hooking someone up to feeding tube or a life-support machine is "playing God" way more than not hooking them up to these things is. ASsisted suicide is merely acting out the wishes of the person. Why is it that you feel the government is far more competent to make that decision than the person who is sick, their families, and their doctors?

I ask because, for me, this isn't some abstract theoretical situation. It is a question I have faced directly (deciding one whether or not life-saving means should be employed with a loved one).

Depends on the situation. Hooking someone up to feeding tube or a life-support machine is "playing God" way more than not hooking them up to these things is. ASsisted suicide is merely acting out the wishes of the person. Why is it that you feel the government is far more competent to make that decision than the person who is sick, their families, and their doctors?
Well assisted suicide is more than just withholding life sustaining measures. It's actively providing drugs to kill someone. Doctor's should not be in that business. Have you ever seen interviews with Dr. Death ~ dude was crazy. He didn't believe in seat belts either.

I ask because, for me, this isn't some abstract theoretical situation. It is a question I have faced directly (deciding one whether or not life-saving means should be employed with a loved one).
I know, I am sorry about your dad. I believe in the patients rights to refuse heroic measures but I don't think a feeding tube is a heroic measure.

Well assisted suicide is more than just withholding life sustaining measures. It's actively providing drugs to kill someone. Doctor's should not be in that business. Have you ever seen interviews with Dr. Death ~ dude was crazy. He didn't believe in seat belts either.

True. I was confused by the "bias in favor of life" and assumed it extended further than just assisted suicide.

Kevorkian is not the end all and be all of assisted suicide. I've encountered people who were suffering terribly while simply awaiting a slow and agonizing death. To me, it seems execcively cruel to force them to endure such hardship if that is contrary to their will.

I know, I am sorry about your dad. I believe in the patients rights to refuse heroic measures but I don't think a feeding tube is a heroic measure.

Thank you for your kind words. I disagree about the feeding tube because during one period of his coma, that was all that was needed to keep him alive

True. I was confused by the "bias in favor of life" and assumed it extended further than just assisted suicide.

Kevorkian is not the end all and be all of assisted suicide. I've encountered people who were suffering terribly while simply awaiting a slow and agonizing death. To me, it seems execcively cruel to force them to endure such hardship if that is contrary to their will.
There's lots of good pain-killers out there. People don't have to only suffer or die. Pain can be managed. I just like to bring up Kevorkian because he is kinda the face of assisted suicide, and, as I say, he was crazy.

Thank you for your kind words. I disagree about the feeding tube because during one period of his coma, that was all that was needed to keep him alive
I don't see heroic as any life saving measure. Providing for the basic need of food or water is not heroic, it's well basic care.

There's lots of good pain-killers out there. People don't have to only suffer or die. Pain can be managed. I just like to bring up Kevorkian because he is kinda the face of assisted suicide, and, as I say, he was crazy.

For some pain, the only amount of pain killers that can ease the pain would create a zombie-state. Your method forces these people to choose between excruciating pain and a zombie-like state.

I see nothing wrong with allowing them to die with dignity and by their own choice.

I don't see heroic as any life saving measure. Providing for the basic need of food or water is not heroic, it's well basic care.

I see forcing food and water into the person as heroic measures. If it's something that the perosn cannot do on their own, nor choose to have done to them, and they would die without intervention, it is "heroic" as it is saving their life which would not be sustained.

For some pain, the only amount of pain killers that can ease the pain would create a zombie-state. Your method forces these people to choose between excruciating pain and a zombie-like state.

I see nothing wrong with allowing them to die with dignity and by their own choice.
If somebody wants to take their life, I don't like it but I can't stop it, but I don't believe you can consent to your own killing and doctors should have no hand in it.

I see forcing food and water into the person as heroic measures. If it's something that the perosn cannot do on their own, nor choose to have done to them, and they would die without intervention, it is "heroic" as it is saving their life which would not be sustained.
I just don't see being denied food and water as any kind of humane way to go.

If somebody wants to take their life, I don't like it but I can't stop it, but I don't believe you can consent to your own killing and doctors should have no hand in it.

What if the perosn is physically unable to take their own life?

Do you think that this inability removes their ability to choose for themselves?

I just don't see being denied food and water as any kind of humane way to go.

Being denied food and water would imply that the person has a choice, and has chosen to have food and water.

This cannot be true in most feeding tube situations.

See, for both apsects, the main issue for me is choice. When there is an ability to choose for one' self, I support them in whatever choice they make. It's not my business (or anywone elses, IMO) what means they choose to employ in that choice.

When they don't have the ability to make a choice, it is then someone acting as "God". The only peopel who should have the ability to make such choices for another person are those closest to them because that choice should be made by someone who has a high likelihood of making the choice the perosn themselves would make. outsiders should be prohibitted form ever making these choices for others. It should be left to the loved ones, and nobody else.

If there is a disagreement among loved ones, then the one who is legally considered closest has the final say (Spouse/domestic partner, if any, would be first, parents if there is no spouse, and so on and so forth).

Obviously a living will would be the ultimate call, as that would be the choice made by the person in advance.

My best friend is one.

Then you should know what they hold dear. $$.

You are aware that it is the IRS that is set to manage this new government run healthcare right? And that they are bringing on 15k new accountants to do that? You think these people are going to be concerned with human worth or the bottom line?

So are you saying his assumption is that people will be "tricked" into chosing death because of the wording of a question in a workbook??!?!

That's what it seems to me he's suggesting.

That's just ridiculous. Those are honest questions that should be asked. The effect those questions have on that person is about them, not the questions.

Then you should know what they hold dear. $$.

You are aware that it is the IRS that is set to manage this new government run healthcare right? And that they are bringing on 15k new accountants to do that? You think these people are going to be concerned with human worth or the bottom line?

You do understand that accountants are also bounded by professional ethics, so money is not the only focus. And just because there will be a lot of accountants involved does not mean what you want it to mean. Sorry. No evidence.

That's what it seems to me he's suggesting.
Alls I'm saying is that a guy that co-authored a workbook about end of life decisions is a proponent of physician assisted suicide. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Alls I'm saying is that a guy that co-authored a workbook about end of life decisions is a proponent of physician assisted suicide. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

And though I don't agree with your assessment because of the questions themselves, I understand and respect your concerns.

liblady said:
on the one hand, you are one of the people who RANT on and on about people's taxes, and yet, you want to pay for a very old woman's pacemaker. dishonest.

This is what gets me. They want to gripe about how costly Medicare is, then when cost saving matters are brought up such as - is it cost effective for Medicare to pay for a heart transplant for a 90 year old with liver cancer? Not that in every circumstance will someone be denied insurance payment for a transplant, just that the overall feasibility of the procedure should be looked at. Then they want to club you over the head with 'death panels' and 'killing granny'.

It's kinda like trying to herd cats...LOL... :lol:

Barb, the booklet looks at all sides, tries to present arguments for people to think of from staying alive no matter what to pulling the plug when life support is needed. Picking out one page of questions and saying it is bad because of those is silly. When the VA workbook came up last time, I was the one who actually read it and countered all the people who kept pulling comments out of context. It's not going to work trying to paint this as wanting our vets to decide to die, or death panel type crap. It just does not work.

I looked through the whole thing and thought it was good. I just don't like page 21.

I heard that the End of Life in the HC bill comes with printed brochures, a movie and I imagine scripted questions the doctor/nurse/ or whoever else is allowed will be required to ask at the time of each annual physical before they get paid for the counceling. Sorry, but I just don't like the government having their hands in this.
More suspicion arises with the way Obama put this back in the day after Christmas, against the will of Congress and the will of the people.
We know that elder care is costly and for this bill to work it's going to have to be rationed. To pretend that the End of Life section will not encourage less treatment by guiding a person and their family away from life then is just naive in my opinion.

I never want someone to allow me to starve to death or die of thirst and I don't know that I could do that to a loved one. That was the only way my husband could eat the last yr and a half of his life, although he wasn't bedridden. He couldn't swallow due to having his tongue, jaw removed from cancer. I agree this is just a basic need and nothing heroic about it.

This is what gets me. They want to gripe about how costly Medicare is, then when cost saving matters are brought up such as - is it cost effective for Medicare to pay for a heart transplant for a 90 year old with liver cancer? Not that in every circumstance will someone be denied insurance payment for a transplant, just that the overall feasibility of the procedure should be looked at. Then they want to club you over the head with 'death panels' and 'killing granny'.

It's kinda like trying to herd cats...LOL... :lol:

Maybe conservatives care about the individuals than the "collective" society.
Liberals seem to willing to throw individuals under the bus if they are perceived as being a burden on the collective.

I never want someone to allow me to starve to death or die of thirst and I don't know that I could do that to a loved one.

Thankfully with end of life counseling you can make those wishes known. And now the counseling will actually be covered.

Thankfully with end of life counseling you can make those wishes known. And now the counseling will actually be covered.
If someone was not physically sick yet indicated they wanted to starve themselves to death, would you just let them do it?

If someone was not physically sick yet indicated they wanted to starve themselves to death, would you just let them do it?

Irrelevant to the topic.

Back
Top Bottom